Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Old Charlton related photos

Comments

• Options
    Coomb Station?
  • Options
    I was reading only the other day how they dug a new tunnel from Greenwich station which meant they had to move the bodies in the naval cemetery (to the little park at westcombe park). 

Keep those maps coming. Love old maps as well as photographs.
  • Options
    Have PM you Dave Rudd would love to know more.
  • Options
    If you have every stood on the foot path bridge over The Blackwall Tunnel approach road right by Westcombe Park Station you can work out the old road Westcombe Hill from looking at the railway bridge in one direction then look towards the woolwich road and you see the old bit of Westcombe Hill ....very narrow footpath on right hand side of the road with the old railway above that went down to the thames,   The old track is still there.
  • Options
    St Lukes on the hill ,is that the church halfway up westcombe hill.
  • Options
    Adjacent comment.
    The area covering Sutcliffe Park and the Kidbrooke/Ferrier site was known apparently as 'Ninefields' during the second world war and was I believe an RAF Airfield.
    This is oral history information and could well be wrong.
  • Options
    St Lukes on the hill ,is that the church halfway up westcombe hill.
    No … St Luke's in Charlton Village.  The 'hill' being Charlton Church Lane.

All of this is a guess as I have no idea about the accuracy of the Paint Works picture, but it sort of fits.
  • Options
    Cheers.......know the church now.......
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    seth plum said:
    Adjacent comment.
    The area covering Sutcliffe Park and the Kidbrooke/Ferrier site was known apparently as 'Ninefields' during the second world war and was I believe an RAF Airfield.
    This is oral history information and could well be wrong.
    It was an RAF training facility and storage depot apparently, not an actual airfield.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RAF_Kidbrooke
  • Options
    TEL said:
    Loving this thread. Very interesting. Not quite Charlton related  but nearby I used to play over in the vast area of the Woolwich Arsenal as a kid. Some great fishing in the moats around the test facilities full of Crucian Carp. Also used to venture down into the underground hospital near the firing ranges. Took home a grenade and hundreds of bullet cases which I used to shine up and sell to my friends. I gave the grenade to my neighbour and his Mum found it and went beserk. Happy days 

My mate brought into school and gave me the live part of a shell from the Arsenal, maybe around 1971/2.

I took it around to another mate to show it off. His dad wasn't best pleased having been a veteran of Dunkirk etc. That was the last I saw of it thankfully. 
  • Options
     Presumably Stones sports ground was one of them. 
    It was mate. My Grandad worked for Stones for 50 years and was a member of the cricket team for some time. My mum’s still got his medals.

We used to go over and play in the burnt-out club house over Stones, having stone fights believe it or not. Don’t think any of us realised we were having stone fights in Stones’ at the time though lol

Remember one time we went over, about 4 of us, walking round the house and tight rope walking across the burnt beams when some bloke walked out of one of the rooms. We all shit ourselves and run out. We returned a couple of days later and spoke to the bloke, he was a Scouser, long beard and matted hair, we all made good friends with him and used to nick food out of our house to take over to him. Remember we gave him a loaf of bread and a margarine; he's stuck 2 of his fingers in the marg and ate it off his dirty finders. Also remember a girl I used to knock around with (her dad posts on here), took Rob off and cut his hair for him in a separate room while a load of us sat in the main bit waiting to see what he looked like. She's come out first, followed by Rob, whispering to us all to tell him it looked good, lol. You should've seen it!

All ended when we were sticking bits of hosepipe in his fire and whirling em around our heads, a bit of rubber come off the end and stuck to one of my mates, Phillip’s back. He was running round the screams unbelievable. Rob got hold of him though and carried him across the road to his house on the estate, with all of us showing him where he lived. I think it was Phil's mum who put Rob back in touch with his sister up North and we didn't see him many times again after that.

If you're reading this, Rob. What did those stickle back sandwiches actually taste like mate?

• Options
    TEL said:
    Loving this thread. Very interesting. Not quite Charlton related  but nearby I used to play over in the vast area of the Woolwich Arsenal as a kid. Some great fishing in the moats around the test facilities full of Crucian Carp. Also used to venture down into the underground hospital near the firing ranges. Took home a grenade and hundreds of bullet cases which I used to shine up and sell to my friends. I gave the grenade to my neighbour and his Mum found it and went beserk. Happy days 

My mate brought into school and gave me the live part of a shell from the Arsenal, maybe around 1971/2.

I took it around to another mate to show it off. His dad wasn't best pleased having been a veteran of Dunkirk etc. That was the last I saw of it thankfully. 
    My old man found a live bullet when he was a kid, put it in a vice and hit the base with a hammer. It ricocheted around the garage with him on the floor holding his ears.
    I’ll never forget the look on our teacher’s face when a kid dipped in his school bag and brought out a large shell and proudly showed it off to our class of 9 year olds. 
  • Options
    TEL said:

My old man found a live bullet when he was a kid, put it in a vice and hit the base with a hammer. It ricocheted around the garage with him on the floor holding his ears.
    My Father in Law found a live German incendiary bomb in a field whilst out shooting pigeons years ago - he kept it in his greenhouse for years - used to show it to visitors !!! Don’t know if he still has it - will have to ask him

He also used to make his own shot gun cartridges with a machine in his garage - he got fed up with the next door cat shitting in his garden so he set up a trip wire rigged to a cartridge (no shot in it just the primer) within an hour the cat tried to go it’s normal route into the garden, there was a bang, and the cat was running off like an express train and never seen again
  • Options
    My dad found an atomic bomb
  • Options
    Bet that was a blast from the past. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Not on Christmas Island I hope.....
  • Options
    ALWAYS flush lad!
  • Options

Charlton vs Racing Club de Paris. May 1946 in Paris. 
  • Options

Norman and Lewis; two train-stewards on the way to Old Trafford Cup quarter final 1994

Photo taken by Steve Bridge
    I really hate to ask Col, but why the face paint?
  • Options
    I was one of the few with correct colours that day on face ,we played in black and white,think it was a bet with a friend.
  • Options
    I'm sure I saw you in the same jacket last year.

Cheapskate.
  • Options

Charlton vs Racing Club de Paris. May 1946 in Paris. 
     Why is Don Welsh holding a baby?