Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

the last time we were relegated, we kept the team together

bar mills and went on to bounce straight back...i always thought that if we went down again we should do the same and make sure we keep the team together...now we have been relegated i've changed my mind and think that if pardew can get decent money for ANY player he should sell him and bring in some fresh players with something to prove...i think there's a big difference this time around, last time everybody was on a steep learning curve for the first year in the pl and made naive mistakes that were easily corrected and that they wanted to put right when we dropped down, whereas this time nobody can put it down to naivity...if players stick around and want to prove something, all well and good....if they want to move on, then perhaps we dont need them anyway...

Comments

• Options
    exactly.

Before we had a developing side that probably got promoted a year too early. Different rules now...
  • Options
    Agreed but the problem is that we're loaded with overpaid underachievers on long contracts who are going to be extremely hard to move on. Hopefully we can remedy this, get back to bringing in young, hungry, lower league players and go up but you only have to look at the teams in this division who've been where we are to see that it's unlikely.

S.
  • Options
    yes and they were all on championship wage scales, very different now because we stayed up so long
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: razil[/cite]yes and they were all on championship wage scales, very different now because we stayed up so long[/quote]

Agreed Razil, this is a completely different scenario. Back then Mills was our main saleable asset and there was only ever really moderate interest in Kinsella and Rufus with no bids coming that we simply could not turn down. We had a very good squad on moderate wages that was perfect for Div 1.

This time that is not the case, we have low performing high earners that must be turfed out and some mid-earning good performers brought in to help us get back.

The two seasons are simply not comparable at all.
  • Options
    the one thing that IS comparable to that season is the sense of togetherness between the fans, the manager and the team.

Whoever turns out to be in our squad next year i've got the feeling that we will be as vocal (if not more) and supportive of the team to bounce straight back up. It is going to be vital for us to back Pards, the new signings and the performances of the team (even if they disappoint us from time to time.

We'll be back.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: WSS[/cite]the one thing that IS comparable to that season is the sense of togetherness between the fans, the manager and the team.

Whoever turns out to be in our squad next year i've got the feeling that we will be as vocal (if not more) and supportive of the team to bounce straight back up. It is going to be vital for us to back Pards, the new signings and the performances of the team (even if they disappoint us from time to time.

We'll be back.

i reckon you're right...it all comes down to belief...in this league you dont have to win every home game, you dont have to win every away game, you can have a bad run and you can still make the play-offs and automatic spots if you do...as long as the fans always remain on side, i think we can do it again...
  • Options
    Before, it was the team Curbs built so after relegation, it was Curbs choice of players that stayed together.
    No brainer.

Now that Pards has inherited a bunch of overpaid underachievers, he'll want to put together his own team.