Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Fatal Uber car accident in America

2»

Comments

• Options

Driverless cars will learn from their mistakes. Like the aviation industry, each accident is a lesson learned.

In aviation there are lessons from every incident which are shared and become required practice by every airline subsequently. Matthew Syed's book 'Black Box Thinking' is a good read on this topic.

Meanwhile the companies developing driverless cars are involved in an arms race where any useful nugget of information (relating to safety or otherwise) is deemed proprietary.
    Partially true I think. As someone who is directly involved in this industry (design of image sensors used in driver assist / autonomous driving), the safety standards are as the name suggests ‘standard’, it is the AI algorithms that are being developed that are closely guarded. The problem atm is that while you can make a fairly convincing argument that a driverless car is safer than a distracted parent/ drunk / smackhead, it’s going to take a long time to gain mainstream acceptance (and as a driver for nearly 40 years, despite working in that field, I’m in that group ). As stated the main issue is liability. Everyone from the car manufacturer down to the the copper mine from where the cables were sourced is scared shitless that they will be sued. You would not believe the number of safety monitors that are built into the most trivial of components added to the paranoia that someone could ‘hack’ the car means that imho we are a long way off driverless cars being the norm
  • Options
    Decent article in Independent
    https://www.independent.ie/life/motoring/car-news/how-safe-are-driverless-cars-36741467.html

"Each country presents new obstacles; Volvo's self driving technology is struggling to identify kangaroos on Australian roads "
    Lol