Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Cambridge Analytica

Worth starting a separate thread about this?

Their involvement appears to permeate through everything in the last few years. Trump, Brexit, elections around the world. Looks like this story could run and run...

Will this be the last straw? Will people start taking their own privacy seriously?

Thoughts?

Comments

• I'm not telling you.
  • Worth starting a separate thread about this?

Their involvement appears to permeate through everything in the last few years. Trump, Brexit, elections around the world. Looks like this story could run and run...

Will this be the last straw? Will people start taking their own privacy seriously?

Thoughts?

Wtf are you going on about...

; )
  • Durham Analytica is just as good.
  • IA said:

Durham Analytica is just as good.

Better than Thames Poly Analytica?
  • stonemuse said:

GDPR

The right to be forgotten - yeah right, that's going to work well online!!
  • edited March 2018
    Not as good as Battlestar Ganalytica
  • Someone opened that door and the whole of human kind fell through it... Who would of thought blasting your every move over the internet would leave you exposed to some nefarious action? Good luck closing that door chumps!
  • We're watching you too, Soapy.
  • Interesting to see what the reactions of the U.S law agencies will be. Extraditions maybe? Interfering with their election, surely they won’t take that lying down
  • Sponsored links:

• edited March 2018
    Chivvying from junior-ranking mods

Oops, wrong thread
  • cabbles said:

Btw on a separate note could all users keep sharing the things that annoy you, things that please you and things that confuse you, continue to let us know your thoughts on Brexit etc

We'll look into it...
  • What is the point of data protection laws that stop you and I getting useful info, but multi-nationals can exploit with impunity? Another example is DVLA info that seems widely available to cowboy parking firms and others at a price.
  • cabbles said:

Interesting to see what the reactions of the U.S law agencies will be. Extraditions maybe? Interfering with their election, surely they won’t take that lying down

Ummmmm...
  • Definitely worth it's own thread Callum, thank you.

I want to echo what @PragueAddick said better than I will, this was around a year of investigative journalism by The Guardian/Observer (and the New York Times as well). Regardless of what you think of their Editorial Boards or Op-Ed sections, it is so important that if you can you pay for journalism. It helps funds things like this.
  • Hate to be a 'wrong board' pedant...but I guess that this is sport, really. The culture wars are just sport
  • Can someone give a brief synopsis of what they have done please?

Is it just like a bit of PR but done in a dodgy way?
  • MrOneLung said:

Can someone give a brief synopsis of what they have done please?

see @vff's post above.

I've never really been into social media - I've got a facebook page (but probably only post on there a couple of times a year) and not into twitter. Just can't see why you'd want to share the minutiae details of your life & why anyone would want to know about them. It seems like CA have picked up on the ways all these things are linked & can get people to divulge stuff that is very interesting to political parties, large corporations, governments etc. Well folks, you all wanted your "friends" to "like" you....
  • Sponsored links:

• I'm sure I've got analytica on my hall walls. We used to have woodchip.
  • Is analytica similar to chickentica?
  • Addickted said:

Is analytica similar to chickentica?

More of an x-rated tribute act of Metallica.
  • Prepare for a long line of these. Data and access to data has been far more valuable than the vast majority of us realise and that data has been sold and exploited for a much longer time than we would believe. Ask yourself a couple of questions - why are most email services provided free-of-charge? They give you the software, the email addresses and they host your data - all of that costs money but they never ask you for a bean. Similarly social media sites. They have hundreds of thousands of square feet of highly sophisticated and expensive computer equipment in temperature controlled, secure environments storing all your 'trivial' data and they don't charge you a cent? Yes, advertising brings in revenues but the real money is in manipulating that data, profiling you and using that intelligence to manage your environment and influence your behaviours, primarily in how you spend your money. In my view and from some experience, they often cross the line in terms of analysing that data in a way they shouldn't, selling it in a way they aren't entitled to and often accessing it via computers before you do, which is illegal.
  • "Charlton Analytica FC.....We're by far the grea........".........Oh, reading glasses where are ya!
  • edited March 2018
    MrOneLung said:

Can someone give a brief synopsis of what they have done please?

Good video explainer here from the guys who have been working on this for two years.

As I see it there are several strands to their wrongdoing. Important to start from the standpoint that there is nothing wrong with using social media to target messages more accurately than mass media advertising can do. That is fundamentally what Facebook and Google offer as businesses. However

- CA have gained access to data people who have not given their permission. They may have your detials because you are simply a friend on Facebook of someone who supports Trump, or Jacob Rees- Mogg. Or worse you simply played a game on a Facebook App with such a person.

- CA boasted that having got this massive cache they sent suitable targets messages which were manifestly fake news.

- Where they don't have enough fake news, they create some, using entrapment. Sending Ukrainian girls around to the house of the targetted politician works very well accoring to Nix, on camera. Yes, I should think it does...

- they are likely to have driven a coach and horse through the electoral budget rules in the US, and for sure in the UK (since these rules are overwhelmed by the new developments in social media)

- although it is not in the current story, the Guardian will be back to Dominic Cummings (Leave EU head honcho) with some more questions about his involvement with CA. Bet the house on that.

PS, I welcome corrections or additions to above, I am still struggling to take it all in.

• BUT THERE IS NO COLLUSION.

What about Killary and her emails?
  • The CL ads often reflect recent online activity.
  • Ownership of CA includes Robert Mercer, a hedge fund CEO, who funded CA's work on Farage's strand of the Brexit/Leave campaign and was a major contributor to first Cruz and then Trump's presidential campaigns. He's also a major funder of Breitbart, obviously synonymous with Steve Bannon...also a co-founder of Cambridge Analytica.

Nix is a small cog in this, but has other outlets for his shady dealings as a director, along with members of the Mercer family in Emerdata Limited, recently set up. Regardless of whether their power is real or bravado, I suspect these businesses will fall away, but the players will continue their practices in the shadows.