Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Operation Michael

Began today 21 March 1918.

Operation Michael (part of the Spring Offensive or Kaiserschlacht) was the final German military offensive of World War One.

With huge casualties on both sides the eventual outcome was the most decisive event in European history since Waterloo, 103 years before.

Arguably it was the decisive European event of the 20th Century although many would disagree.

@SE7toSG3 @Addickted @Tom_Hovi @Mametz

Comments

• My granddad was one of the many taken POW that day
  • Cheers for the summary @SE7toSG3 - I like to think I know quite a bit about World War One as its always been a favoured subject for me to read about, yet for some reason know very little about the battles of 1918. S'pose its partly the way the emphasis has always felt as though so much is made about Ypres | the Somme | Passchendaele | Gallipoli, that we get a rather watered version of the rest of the War.

Many thanks for the book recommendations, I keep meaning to read the Kaiser's Battle as read the account of the Somme by Middlebrook and found that to be a very good read.

Are there any other books that you recommend, that cover 1918?
  • edited March 2018
    Lyn Macdonald also wrote 'To the Last Man' but I think Martin Middlebrooks 'The Kaisers Battle' stands up alongside his seminal 'The First Day on the Somme' so well worth getting.
    'Retreat' by CR Benstead offers an often overlooked Padre's account whilst 'The Push and the Return Push' is a good general account of the March Retreat by 'Qeux' a pseudonym for G Nicholls who also wrote the 18th Division History.

Should keep you busy.
  • SE7toSG3 said:

Hugely significant battle, 21,000 British prisoners captured, the same amount of ground gained in a single day by the Germans than we had taken throughout the 5 month Somme battle two years earlier, Byng's III Army to the north grimly held the Flesquieres pocket in front of Arras whilst Goughs V Army to the South was even harder hit.

The Germans fired over a million shells of all sizes in just 5 hours bombardment, the retreat had begun....yet....

Further research shows that all but one division (the 16th Irish who had been effectively wiped out), still clung to their pre prepared battlezone.

The Germans had suffered horrendous casualties and only captured half the artillery they planned for.

Whats more, there two Army Commanders, The Crown Prince Wilhelm & Prince Ruprecht of Bavaria disliked each other and chased their own seperate aggenda's and goals. In doing so (chasing for the Amiens Railhead being the best example) they veered away from their operational plan and thus ensured its ultimate failure.

From 0325 when the first gas shell popped to last light on the 21st March 1918 the line swayed buckled and bended but never broke.

The fog that day was the worst of the war, it also flirted with both sides, whilst it covered German approaches to British redoubts and prevented any RFC involvement (we had air superiority at the time) it the Germans. By the same token their flexible fireplan relied on forward observers spotting new targets, this was impossible in the fog, and more importantly as Tommy Aitkins could never see more that 50 feet that morning he was never able to realise the seriousness of the situation he found himself in, so he fought harder and longer.

At the close of play it was a draw, but with the clock ticking on German resources and US arrivals it was a draw the German Army could ill afford.

Three books worth reading on the day if you want to learn more are;

The Kaisers Battle - Martin Middlebrook
    The Ebb and Flow of Battle - PJ Campbell
    A Tinkers Mufti - Alf Peacock

Lastly, its a spot where @Mametz and I first met, by chance after Nicky Baileys lunar penalty, we had both left the Valley distraught and in need to get away from it all and bumped into each other in Pigeon Ravine Cemetery near Epehy, right on the old front line defended by the Leicestershire Regiment.

Lest we forget

That statistic is staggering
  • SE7toSG3 said:

Hugely significant battle, 21,000 British prisoners captured, the same amount of ground gained in a single day by the Germans than we had taken throughout the 5 month Somme battle two years earlier, Byng's III Army to the north grimly held the Flesquieres pocket in front of Arras whilst Goughs V Army to the South was even harder hit.

The Germans fired over a million shells of all sizes in just 5 hours bombardment, the retreat had begun....yet....

Further research shows that all but one division (the 16th Irish who had been effectively wiped out), still clung to their pre prepared battlezone.

The Germans had suffered horrendous casualties and only captured half the artillery they planned for.

Whats more, there two Army Commanders, The Crown Prince Wilhelm & Prince Ruprecht of Bavaria disliked each other and chased their own seperate aggenda's and goals. In doing so (chasing for the Amiens Railhead being the best example) they veered away from their operational plan and thus ensured its ultimate failure.

From 0325 when the first gas shell popped to last light on the 21st March 1918 the line swayed buckled and bended but never broke.

The fog that day was the worst of the war, it also flirted with both sides, whilst it covered German approaches to British redoubts and prevented any RFC involvement (we had air superiority at the time) it the Germans. By the same token their flexible fireplan relied on forward observers spotting new targets, this was impossible in the fog, and more importantly as Tommy Aitkins could never see more that 50 feet that morning he was never able to realise the seriousness of the situation he found himself in, so he fought harder and longer.

At the close of play it was a draw, but with the clock ticking on German resources and US arrivals it was a draw the German Army could ill afford.

Three books worth reading on the day if you want to learn more are;

The Kaisers Battle - Martin Middlebrook
    The Ebb and Flow of Battle - PJ Campbell
    A Tinkers Mufti - Alf Peacock

Lastly, its a spot where @Mametz and I first met, by chance after Nicky Baileys lunar penalty, we had both left the Valley distraught and in need to get away from it all and bumped into each other in Pigeon Ravine Cemetery near Epehy, right on the old front line defended by the Leicestershire Regiment.

Lest we forget

Excellent summary and I agree with the recommendation of " The Kaiser's Battle".

My wife's great uncle died on 21 March 1918 at Roupy. He has no known grave but his name is on the Pozieres Memorial. He is not forgotten.
  • SPECIAL ORDER OF THE DAY
    By FIELD-MARSHAL SIR DOUGLAS HAIG
    K.T., G.C.B., G.C.V.O., K.C.I.E.

Commander-in-Chief, British Armies in France

To ALL RANKS OF THE BRITISH ARMY IN FRANCE AND FLANDERS

Three weeks ago to-day the enemy began his terrific attacks against us on a fifty-mile front. His objects are to separate us from the French, to take the Channel Ports and destroy the British Army.

In spite of throwing already 106 Divisions into the battle and enduring the most reckless sacrifice of human life, he has as yet made little progress towards his goals.

We owe this to the determined fighting and self-sacrifice of our troops. Words fail me to express the admiration which I feel for the splendid resistance offered by all ranks of our Army under the most trying circumstances.

Many amongst us now are tired. To those I would say that Victory will belong to the side which holds out the longest. The French Army is moving rapidly and in great force to our support.

There is no other course open to us but to fight it out. Every position must be held to the last man: there must be no retirement. With our backs to the wall and believing in the justice of our cause each one of us must fight on to the end. The safety of our homes and the Freedom of mankind alike depend upon the conduct of each one of us at this critical moment.

(Signed) D. Haig F.M.
    Commander-in-Chief
    British Armies in France
    General Headquarters
    Tuesday, April 11th, 1918
  • Operation Michael? Not quite as inspiring as their efforts in WW2, operation Barbarossa, Typhoon etc (although all of them failed anyway)
  • Sponsored links:

• It was actually known as Kaiserschlacht (the Kaiser's battle) which was a whole series of different attacks across the whole length of the front.

Operation Michael on 21st March, followed by Operation Georgette on 9th April, then Blucher-Yorck on 27th May, then Gneisenau on 9th June.

The final planned offensive, Hagen, was postponed and eventually cancelled after the Germans had exhausted their materiel and more importantly their manpower.
  • Addickted said:

It was actually known as Kaiserschlacht (the Kaiser's battle) which was a whole series of different attacks across the whole length of the front.

Operation Michael on 21st March, followed by Operation Georgette on 9th April, then Blucher-Yorck on 27th May, then Gneisenau on 9th June.

The final planned offensive, Hagen, was postponed and eventually cancelled after the Germans had exhausted their materiel and more importantly their manpower.

There was also Operation Mars, an offensive in the Arras sector that was quickly repulsed.