Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Boring Boring England

Comments

• Options
    It wasn't exactly boring but It was close to it. The Dutch were awful. the subs who came on made it even worse and it dragged on a bit at the end. very few highlights but we did have a lot of possession.
  • Options
    I always thought Arsenal were called boring because of their defensive playing style and either Dixon, Adams, or Bould etc. sticking their arms in the air and looking at the lino every time the ball came in to their half (Wright or Limpar would then squeeze a late goal.)

But I spose that would all be linked to the 1-0's week in week out....

Also, Highbury never exactly had the atmosphere of the likes of Upton Park etc..
  • Options

cfgs said:

That run of results in the World Cup would see us into the semi-finals.

Not if we lost on penalties
    There is no draw there for this to happen. 1-0 and two nil-nils in the group, then last eight and quarters both won 1-0 (are England the new Arsenal?).
  • Options
    Actually, I didn't think it was boring, we played reasonably well at times and the Dutch were generally appalling.
  • Options
    Better title might have been, 'England: Signs of improvement', or something.
  • Options
    Just imagine getting to the Semis and people say "we were boring though".....lol ffs
  • Options

Think this stat speaks volumes for the game really;

Vardy - minutes on pitch 22 (26 inc injury time) - touches of the ball - 0

That one stat does not speak volumes- it doesn’t reflect the game at all.
  • Options
    Was surprised at how comfortable we looked in possession, especially at the back (although I do think Pickford took a couple of unnecessary risks). So used to seeing England look laboured and sluggish, it was refreshing.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I think it does Beds, aside from the goal, neither side looked remotely like scoring - the fact that a centre forward came on and didn't touch the ball for quarter of the game to me absolutely speaks volumes for the game as a whole.
    Poor crosses all night, lots of touches around the penalty area with no end product. Defensively England were solid but up against a side with zero attacking ideas or creativity (to the point of ending up lumping it into the box for a big man) Struggling to remember a save the Dutch keeper was forced to make all night - even Pickford's were straight at him or went out for throw ins. It was a dull game from two mediocre sides.

Happy to agree to disagree though bud :)
  • Options
    We still have one of the best strikers in the world to come back into the team, which is another positive. Just hope he has a better tournament than the last one.
  • Options

We still have one of the best strikers in the world to come back into the team, which is another positive. Just hope he has a better tournament than the last one.

We have two truely world class players, Walker and Kane.

If Pickford can make the step up to become a strong number 1 then that is a good start. I really liked the formation yesterday and thought that it caused Holland difficultly. Overall, I am positive about the future. Rose, Lallana and Rashford clearly aren’t match fit.

Plus add Jones &Wilshere we should be okay.

I worry about us breaking down oppositions but hopefully with Kane we can do that.
  • Options

I always thought Arsenal were called boring because of their defensive playing style and either Dixon, Adams, or Bould etc. sticking their arms in the air and looking at the lino every time the ball came in to their half (Wright or Limpar would then squeeze a late goal.)

exactly this. they weren't called boring because they were winning 1-0; they were winning 1-0 because they played boring yet highly effective football

I would love to have an England team who were that boring and win every game this summer 1-0

don't think we'll ever see the days of tactics like that again though, the offside rule doesn't allow it anymore
  • Options
    Better than the rugger team
  • Options

We have two truely world class players, Walker and Kane.

If Pickford can make the step up to become a strong number 1 then that is a good start. I really liked the formation yesterday and thought that it caused Holland difficultly. Overall, I am positive about the future. Rose, Lallana and Rashford clearly aren’t match fit.

Plus add Jones &Wilshere we should be okay.

I worry about us breaking down oppositions but hopefully with Kane we can do that.
    Kyle Walker world class? You sure?
  • Options
    I don't think Kyle Walker is world class but he's a very good player. Interesting choice from Southgate putting him at CH and I think it was the right one. Most Spurs or City fans will tell you that Walker's biggest problems are his aimless crossing and the fact his pace covers for his questionable positioning down the flank. Putting him at CH means we'll never have to worry about a ball over the top leaving us exposed, and makes the most of his athleticism in being able to push up the pitch if needed. He can also push wide into defensive areas comfortably and put in deep crosses without us worrying about him getting pulled out of position. It's basically what Chelsea did with Azpilicueta and that's worked brilliantly. Azpilicueta is more tactically disciplined than Walker though, so he'll need to stay switched on. My only worry with that backline is between Pickford, Stones, Walker and Gomez there's not a huge amount of experience available to make sure everyone is in the right position. A lot will fall on Stones to organise.
  • Options
    Walker understands Trippiers responsibilities as he’s played there plenty of times himself. Think it’s excellent tactics from Southgate and England have always looked a better side with wing backs in recent years.
  • Options
    dizzee said:

We were ok. Holland really really poor. They used to be a great footballing nation. They really have fallen. Shame really.

International football isn’t what it used to be. The days of Zidanne, Ronaldo, Rivaldo, Baggio, Maldini, Nesta, Ronaldinho, Beckham, Gullit, Klinsmann, Ballack, Inzaghi, Vieri, Cruyff, Van Basten, Dunga, Ronaldo, Kluivert, Zico, Henry, Petit, Viera, Seedorf, Kakà, Cannavaro, Rijkaard, Gattuso, Buffon, Totti, Del Piero, Deschamps, Scholes, Zico, Zambrotta.

Nowadays, we get served up Jesse Lingard and Jordan Henderson against Dost and Depay.

Sir Chris Powell
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I enjoyed the game, we played well against an average Dutch team but nobody had a bad game, another goal or two would have been nice but we were missing our best striker.

Hopefully follow up with a second win on Tuesday night, as we need to create that winning mentality going in to a tournament.

Only real shame is Pope did not get his chance & Gomez having to go off so early, hopefully that was not a serious injury.
  • Options

Yes, Kane needs to practice his corners...
  • Options

Yes, Kane needs to be in the box for corners...
  • Options

Yes, Kane needs to practice his corners...
    Don't worry, I'm sure England will take Fosu to the World Cup to take corners!
  • Options

Also, Highbury never exactly had the atmosphere of the likes of Upton Park etc..

All a bit of a fallacy to be honest.

88/89 (season they won the league at Anfield), they had just three 1-0 wins. That season included wins of 5-1 at Wimbledon; 3-2 at Spurs; 4-1 at West Ham; 4-1 at Forest; 5-0 v Norwich; 3-0 at Villa; 3-2 at Charlton; 3-1 at Southampton etc.
    They weren't actually that boring under George Graham.
  • Options

88/89 (season they won the league at Anfield), they had just three 1-0 wins. That season included wins of 5-1 at Wimbledon; 3-2 at Spurs; 4-1 at West Ham; 4-1 at Forest; 5-0 v Norwich; 3-0 at Villa; 3-2 at Charlton; 3-1 at Southampton etc.
    I'm not gonna bother looking it up but I'm pretty sure that in most of those games, at some point, it was one nil to the Arsenal so they could definitely sing it at least for a while
  • Options
    rina said:

I'm not gonna bother looking it up but I'm pretty sure that in most of those games, at some point, it was one nil to the Arsenal so they could definitely sing it at least for a while
    ??? Surely any time that wins will be 1-0 up at some stage
  • Options
    PeterGage said:

rina said:

*team
  • Options
    PeterGage said:

rina said:

nope, that really isn't how football works. you can win even if you concede first, our opponents do it quite often
  • Options
    rina said:

PeterGage said:

rina said:

nope, that really isn't how football works. you can win even if you concede first, our opponents do it quite often
    Doh me. Brain fog