Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Madeline McCann

Not sure if this has been debated on here or not but what are everyone's views on the whole situation.

It goes without saying that everything that has happened is a terrible terrible thing but is anyone else getting slightly peeved at the amount of media coverage the whole thing is getting?

Maybe i'm just a heartless sod and it is good for the girl to be kept in the media spotlight and at the forefront of people's minds but hundreds of people go missing every single day, how do these families feel who are getting no coverage compared to Maddy's parents who have a piece on them every hour?

I dunno, i just heard the crimewatch piece on the radio (how many weeks after the event??) and i felt compelled to get that off my chest. Sorry if ive rubbed anyone up the wrong way.

Comments

• Options
    I have no issue with the media coverage other than wondering if it would have taken this tone if it had been a single parent from a council estate in the same situation. Especially given the parents left the kids on their own whilst they had dinner.

fair play to them for keeping it in the public eye for so long though, even if it doesn't appear to have helped.
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    To be Honest, I do partly agree with you, yes she was kidnapped, yet it was the parents fault for leaving her and the other children on their own.

If someone else goes missing then why don't they get pages of media coverage??? all they get is a column on page 29 in a national newspaper and appealing for witness then dies a death..

Although I do believe they have gone the right way about keeping it in the public eye, and the money they have raised is also good..

the Media do tend to jump at anything and everything such as Bird Flu I remember vividly a newspaper having a title as WE ARE ALL GOING TO DIE, yet they did not want to cause panic, good idea with that headline...

Although in a happier note I'm doing Photography next year at school :D
  • Options
    It's a fair enough point. The way I look at it, her parents are bright intelligent people who have been able to mastermind a publicity campaign that has kept her fully in the limelight. That others cannot do it does not mean that the McCann's are wrong to do it or the media are wrong to cover it. This is what I would be trying to do. Who knows when the story will slip out of the headlines?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Orpy[/cite]To be Honest, I do partly agree with you, yes she was kidnapped, yet it was the parents fault for leaving her and the other children on their own.

Surely you cannot apportion much blame to the parents? The kidnappers are primarily responsible for this.
  • Options
    The parents are doing a great job at keeping the publicity going and good luck to them in finding their daughter, but as you say the press coverage is out of proportion. Is it because it has happened to a well-off family of church-goers on an expensive Mark Warner holiday? Is the same press coverage given for kids who go missing from places Erith or Mansfield? No. Sadly a lot of kids go missing but it is a long time since press coverage has reached these levels (Soham).

And the coverage leads to ribbons and celebrity "endorsements" and email chains of support, cheques being written (what for??) and on and on it goes.

You could argue that her parents are showing a surprisingly stoic dignity missing elsewhere.
  • Options
    It's little things though that stick in my mind.

Like when she first went missing why werent all of the pictures released of her there and then rather than at intermittent periods as has been done? it just worries me that there is an advisor telling them to do things to keep in the media spotlight rather than actually finding her.

Or is to keep in the media the way to find her? Surely the authorities will do the work whether or not the world press are all over it?

Agree with everyone's points though, glad some people agree with me on some points!
  • Options
    Yes, very true, wasnt really thinking what I was typing..

I personally believe deep down, that all this action is too much too late.. I hope not, but, deep down
  • Options
    Don't really want to get into this debate but I feel that the parents are entirely to blame and were totally irresponsible but on saying that I ffel for them and hope that Maddie is found safe and well. However, I can't see how jetting off around Europe is going to help her. In fact if she is still alive the more in the limelight the greater chance the kidknapper may panic and kill her.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: bingaddick[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Orpy[/cite]To be Honest, I do partly agree with you, yes she was kidnapped, yet it was the parents fault for leaving her and the other children on their own.

Surely you cannot apportion much blame to the parents? The kidnappers are primarily responsible for this.

You are right in that but I think the media would have gone to town on them leaving the kid if it was a single mum who had her daughter abducted while she had a pint in the pub round the corner with her mates whilst leaving the doors unlocked.
  • Options

this is an emotive subject and we're all on dangerous ground if we really start getting into it but i bet they made sure their passports and money wasn't left unattended or where they could be taken while they were out at the restaurant...first things first though and that's to get the girl back and if the publicity makes at least one other child safe then its been a bonus...stats in todays times for 2002-2003 show that 70 children were abduted by strangers that year, two-thirds were recovered within 24 hours...
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    seems like they have an advisor orchestrating their moves and the campaign, a pity they aren't quiet so efficient in their baby-sitting arrangements.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: ltgtr[/cite]

this is an emotive subject and we're all on dangerous ground if we really start getting into it but i bet they made sure their passports and money wasn't left unattended or where they could be taken while they were out at the restaurant...first things first though and that's to get the girl back and if the publicity makes at least one other child safe then its been a bonus...stats in todays times for 2002-2003 show that 70 children were abduted by strangers that year, two-thirds were recovered within 24 hours...

But surely that counts for nothing??? Maddie has now been missing for 3-4 weeks (correct me if I am wrong please) so what are the stats for those who have been abducted and not been recovered within 24hours?? I assume not nice reading??? as I said I would LOVE to be proved wrong but deep down I think it might be too late...
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Salad Spinner[/cite]seems like they have an advisor orchestrating their moves and the campaign, a pity they aren't quiet so efficient in their baby-sitting arrangements.

Nail on the head imo.
  • Options
    Orpy - i quoted the stats because one of the other posts spoke about hundreds of people going missing every day and i remembered i'd read that particular stat about numbers for abducted children...
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    [cite]Posted By: kigelia

You are right in that but I think the media would have gone to town on them leaving the kid if it was a single mum who had her daughter abducted while she had a pint in the pub round the corner with her mates whilst leaving the doors unlocked.

That may be true but it wouldn't make it right. I would not have done what the McCanns did but I can understand how they were lulled in a sense of false security given that the apartment was visible from where they were eating.

All scenarios other than having your children staying in the same room as you are risky. What they did was extremely low risk unless somebody was determined to snatch a child. What about if they were having a barbecue in the garden of the apartment? Given where the childrens bedroom window was, they would still have missed a dertermined and cunning kidnapper.

I have been burgled whilst asleep and the burglar was in the next room. That could easily have been a kidnapper and I would not have known anything about it. It's very easy to be over critical in these circumstances in my view.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: ltgtr[/cite]Orpy - i quoted the stats because one of the other posts spoke about hundreds of people going missing every day and i remembered i'd read that particular stat about numbers for abducted children...

Oh right fair enough, you have my humble appolgies
  • Options
    must say I don't remember seeing this much being done by the media and police when Ben Needham went missing
  • Options
    The thread concerning the awful story of the recent plane crash in the Channel is at risk of being side-tracked by the case of Maddie McCann who is still missing, nearly twelve years later.

A lot has changed over that period of time, but, sadly, Maddie is still missing. For what it's worth, I think the police hunt for the criminal or criminals behind this absolutely should continue. I know this isn't the case for everyone.

It's expensive, but resource allocation is subtly different from "spending taxpayers' money". So, even if the nominal cost continues to rise, this case should be brought to a conclusion.
  • Options
    Is there a break through for this case with the investigation of the German bloke for her disappearance? I know there has been a lot of false dawns.
    I hope the mystery is finally solved and that it brings some closure for the parents.