Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Ska Music

13»

Comments

• Options

OP, I’d agree with whoever said Toots and the Maytals aren’t ska but Pressure Drop is one of the all-time great tunes and won’t offend anyone if you put it in your compilation.

I don't understand the obsession with pigeonholing stuff on here - all seems a bit trainspotterish. Important to just enjoy the music.

Toots and the Maytals had a background in ska, rocksteady and reggae and need to be listened to! Great vocals.

'54-46 was my number' and 'Pressure Drop' are two classics of Jamaican music.

Because the original poster said his friend likes Ska music hence talking about what is or more importantly on this thread what isn't Ska i.e. the majority of tracks mentioned on here.

e.g. the Tighten Up albums were mentioned, great music yes ska no

• Options
    milo said:

Sorry didn’t mean to upset anyone by trying to chop things up into sub genres. My concern was if the original poster’s friend is expecting a bit of a knees up dancing to Bad Manner’s version of the Can-Can and gets something more ‘authentic’.

I also think the recording techniques of the time can add charm to the records - one of the reasons early Jamaican music had the characteristic organ stab on the off beat was due to the keyboard at Studio One going out of tune if it was held for more than a fraction of a second which is why it was used in a more percussive way (or so the legend goes).

Incidentally, Desmond Decker used to drive a mini cab in Eltham, any time I booked a taxi there I would hope that he’d pick me up and we could have a chat on the way home. Never happened for me unfortunately.

Don't apologise mate you were spot on
  • Options

OP, I’d agree with whoever said Toots and the Maytals aren’t ska but Pressure Drop is one of the all-time great tunes and won’t offend anyone if you put it in your compilation.

I don't understand the obsession with pigeonholing stuff on here - all seems a bit trainspotterish. Important to just enjoy the music.

Toots and the Maytals had a background in ska, rocksteady and reggae and need to be listened to! Great vocals.

Because the original poster said his friend likes Ska music hence talking about what is or more importantly on this thread what isn't Ska i.e. the majority of tracks mentioned on here.

You as well, “Put yer Dukes up”;)
  • Options

You as well, “Put yer Dukes up”;)
    You should be over on the dark site you ruffian :smiley:
  • Options
    edited March 2018
    Just listened to Ska based on this thread, particularly the Ska mania album... This music is atrocious on the ears.

Don't get it but then I don't get the Elvis era rock and roll fascination either.

I am however cleansing my ears with the All Metal station on Amazon Music.

I am now at peace again.
  • Options
    In Reggae, the emphasis was on the 1st and 3rd beat. In Ska the emphasis is on the 2nd and 4th. Just saying :)