Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Gas meters problem

Hi lifers got an issue here in a property I’ve just moved to yesterday. Got a top up gas meter that’s £5 in debt, won’t switch on gas supply as is in debt but here’s the kicker... letting agent doesn’t seem to have supplied me with a top up card and I’ve run the national database and there’s no record of a supplier at the property.

Emergency credit is available according to the meter but I can’t access it without having the top up card.. but there’s no supplier apparently! It’s a sunday so the lettings agents are shut... but I stink after spending all day yesterday moving... any advice as I’m stumped? It’s one of those landis meters.

Comments

• Go to the swimming pool and have a shower there
  • IdleHans said:

Go to the swimming pool and have a shower there

Don’t really need a short term fix as my sister lives 5 mins away and I can shower there. More what the hell can I do if I have no supplier?
  • edited April 2018
  • https://www.npower.com/home/help-and-support/emergency-information/gas-safety-advice/problems-with-your-gas-supply/

Gas Emergency Service on 0800 111 999.

Or get the top up card from the agent tomorrow and/or let them sort it?
  • Ring a gas supplier and ask them to start service in your name.
    They will see who is owed the fiver and you can take it from there.
  • And from
    https://www.nationalgrid.com/uk/gas
    - these people should be able to advise if your agent can't or won't help;

If you do not have a gas meter yet or you cannot find the information on your bill, please call the M Number enquiry line:

0870 608 1524

This call will cost 7p per minute plus your phone company’s access charge.

Ask them for your MPRN (meter point reference number) which is the unique identifier for your gas supply point and also the identity of the current registered gas supplier at your premises.
  • edited April 2018

And from
    https://www.nationalgrid.com/uk/gas
    - these people should be able to advise if your agent can't or won't help;

If you do not have a gas meter yet or you cannot find the information on your bill, please call the M Number enquiry line:

0870 608 1524

This call will cost 7p per minute plus your phone company’s access charge.

Ask them for your MPRN (meter point reference number) which is the unique identifier for your gas supply point and also the identity of the current registered gas supplier at your premises.

I’ve done exactly that and there’s no record of a supplier or mprn, which is why I don’t know if any of this will be any help.
  • Did they not advise what you should do?
    This is really for agent to sort isn't it?
  • Letting agent shut on a Sunday... just wondering if there’s anything I can do immediately
  • Bypass the meter ?

That's a joke, please don't
  • Sponsored links:

• Seems a bit slack on the part of the landlord and/or it’s agent. Did you not get a pack containing that sort of information? And out of interest, did your landlord or it’s agent give you a copy of the gas safety certificate for that boiler you can’t switch on ? I take it that it’s got one
  • In a KR / LB swing

KR no key
    LB a new dawn key is found
    LB tomorrow you lose the bloody thing !
  • edited April 2018
    Daggs said:

Bypass the meter ?

That's a joke, please don't

An ex-girlfriend's dad used to have a trick where he would fix the hoover to the gas meter and suck back the clock. Until he overdid it one day and ended up with a meter reading lower than the previous one. They had to have the gas on all day and all night just to get the numbers believable again.
  • Plug into next doors gas supply.