Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Ex-commercial hen rescue - new homes needed

Comments

• Options
    Can anyone give a few hens a home? Really need help here as we've got 8000 to rehome so they don't go to slaughter. Collection points all round most of the UK. Nearest to SE7 is Swanley.
  • Options
    Can't help with rehoming, but I really wish you well with this, @Arsenetatters

Must be really satisfying to see a half-bald hen grow back to full feathered health - and with the bonus of fresher eggs than you'd ever get in the shops.
  • Options
    Great job Arsenetatters. Battery hen farms are so goddamn cruel. Poor things can't even grow or keep their feathers. Have their beaks been clipped as well?
  • Options
    Sorry cant help, but very best of luck finding those lovely chickens homes
  • Options

Great job Arsenetatters. Battery hen farms are so goddamn cruel. Poor things can't even grow or keep their feathers. Have their beaks been clipped as well?

Sadly they do have their beaks clipped. Not always 'neatly' either. Can cause difficulty eating too.
  • Options
    Some hens from the latest rescue
  • Options

Poor thing. Let's hope it recovers and can live in peace.

Pools Panel verdict: Capitalist Commodity 0, Hen-in-waiting 1.
    Away Win.

You let yourself down saying daft things like that. Pretty sure the Marx didn't put the well-being of free-range hens as one of the basic tenets of communism...

I don't think you'll get a lot of argument from most people that battery hen farming is pretty grim. Arsenetatters and people like her who do a brilliant job rehoming them don't need to see their thread turned into a political battleground (and I say that as a' dirty lefty')
  • Options
    edited November 2018
    Upcoming ex-commercial hen and Pekin duck rehoming dates. Various collection points around England. Contact on the email below if you're interested. imageimageimageimageimageimageimageimage

• Options
    edited November 2018

We have 7 hens, 3 are rescue hens, all layers and the eggs are so much better than supposed "Free Range" supermarket egg's. Would love to help @ Arsentatters but we are many a mile away & all henned up - keep up the good work though, we have 3 rescue goats as well.

I agree, the eggs are superb.

Rescue goats! Where were they rescued from? @KBslittlesis is a fellow goat lover :)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Goat Farm in Weymouth (not a good one) who were having a cull, more my wife than me I might add when it comes to animals, but they are pretty easy to look after and low maintenance + they keep the grass down in our paddocks. Had goats the 20 years we have lived down here since escaping Sarf London.
  • Options
    edited November 2018
  • Options
    I'd love to take them off your hands, but they might make my flat smell a bit! Good luck with the re-homing!
  • Options
    edited December 2018
    @Arsenetatters, you told me of your hen rescue when we were leafleting in Belgium. I was impressed then and seeing the results of your work, I'm more impressed now. Well done.
  • Options
    She is certainly a credit to your love and care, @Arsenetatters!
    Love the picture of Bob, your turkey, on another thread.

About to start preparing my (veggie) Christmas meal...
  • Options
    Any turkeys going?
  • Options
    Well done young lady!
  • Options

Well done young lady!

'Young' lady! Bless you @mistrollingin
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Well done young lady!

Well done lovely lady
  • Options

Well done young lady!

Well done lovely lady
    :)
  • Options

Well done young lady!

Should have gone to Specsavers.... :smile:

Very well done though @Arsenetatters. You are a star.
  • Options
    Davo55 said:

Well done young lady!

Should have gone to Specsavers.... :smile:

Very well done though @Arsenetatters. You are a star.
    Yeah, she only comes out at night.

Well done A.
  • Options

Well done young lady!

Always plenty of chilled rose if you and the chicks are passing :wink:
  • Options
    Big hen rescue coming up soon. Country-wide collection points. Having recently done a big hen rescue we're going to need all the help we can to rehome these girls. But we've persuaded the farmer to cancel the slaughter lorry so we've got to do it. Please share wherever you can to help us find homes. Thank you!
  • Options

This weekend's rescue/rehoming - 2000 organic, free-range hens. Their living conditions are so much better than that of caged hens and this shows in their healthy, feathered bodies.

I’m sure there’s a good answer to this but they look like they’ve been looked after, why did they need rescuing