Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Our fans today

Comments

• Options
    I got the full smoke experience being in the epicentre! My main problem with the flares is throwing them from the back to the front, that’s dangerous as they could hit anything
  • Options
    We were standing near the front right behind where the flares went off, with the breeze blowing into the stand the smoke was acrid and unpleasant
  • Options
    The Pompey away end reminded me of the Jimmy Seed stand, a bit basic and old fashioned, but with the low roof away fans can create a great atmosphere
  • Options

We were standing near the front right behind where the flares went off, with the breeze blowing into the stand the smoke was acrid and unpleasant

Sounds similar to sitting next to @Redmidland ;)
  • Options
    Real fickle point I know, but, smoke bombs (canisters) not flares. No excuse for it either by the way. My boy caught up right in it and said it wasn't pleasant at all; actually difficulty to breathe for a while.
  • Options

Real fickle point I know, but, smoke bombs (canisters) not flares. No excuse for it either by the way. My boy caught up right in it and said it wasn't pleasant at all; actually difficulty to breathe for a while.

We had one go off near us and for a while was the only thing that stopped the charlton fans in that area from supporting the team because everybody had to cover their faces to try and stop breathing in the acrid smoke
  • Options
    edited April 2018
    I’ve been following Charlton since 1965 and have been part of some tremendous followings over the years ... Wolves, Carlisle, Man U, Palace, Wimbledon, Blackburn, Boro etc etc etc (mostly let downs) but yesterday’s match goes right to the top of the list for Passion, volume, intensity. Never experienced anything like that before. Quite often, when playing at home, we get outsung by the opposition fans. Yesterday we absolutely did that to Portsmouth to the point where you couldn’t hear on chorus of Blue Army or Play up Pompey. Didn’t necessarily agree with the flares but they added to the overall experience. Sorry to hear that fellow fans clothes have been ruined. I hope it sets the benchmark for times to come. Have been a boycotter all season but returned for Rotherham. Will definitely be going on Saturday for more of the same and to Rochdale if we’re still in with a shout.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Sounds brilliant.
  • Options

I have been to many away games in my time, a few with larger crowds, but I have never been in a crowd singing and clapping non stop from before the start until well after the finish - awesome
    Pity about the flares

Echo this. Best away game I've been to since god knows when. I wasn't at Carlisle to see SCP's winners and it beats Blackburn (promotion & fa cup). Even beats Wembley for shear 100 min support & the fact we actually turned up for a must win game.

A bit of a shame re the flares but I don't think they inconvenienced too many people. We were right at the back so didn't affect us - am I a bit weird to like the smell though
    I got hit by one mate and had some decent clothes ruined. If I see a CAFC fan with flares in future, I will be dobbing him in without hesitation.
    The same flare hit two other people as well, so I expect they feel the same.

As for the guy that pulled the lady steward with glasses over the barrier and hurt her - you should feel very ashamed.
    That's a shame Phil...we do have some right prats who follow us...
  • Options
    Unreal atmosphere, a quick look on Twitter and seeing the players at the end you can see how much they appreciated it.
  • Options
    Awesome support. Pompey friend commented it was odd the smoke from one of smoke bombs got too close to our own keeper! Fortunately didn't prevent him making that amazing save in the second half
  • Options
    So glad I went to this one, best away atmosphere for 90 mins I have been involved in. Reminded me of Millwall away when we were down to 10 but 1-0 up that obvious fell apart in the last 10mins though
  • Options
    So good for a big away following to be rewarded. Pompey fans very complementary which is no mean achievement.

Pretty much the only time I heard their fans was their booing at half time.

But the flares? Who thinks it's a good idea to surround our 'keeper in red mist?
  • Options
    The noise from the fans back at Waterloo walking to the concourse was amazing,echoing around the great station.Passengers looked up wondering what it was then smiles breaking out as they realised that it was all exuberance and fun. Best away support I can remember for a very long time.Really at one with the players.If that is replicated over the next two games we are in with every chance.
  • Options
    Wasn't there, but so glad to hear we had a big noisy following. As for flares, it's something we have a long and proud tradition of. Here are some fans with handmade newspaper flares at the record breaking match against Burton in 1956.

Charlton v Burton (1 of 1)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited April 2018
    Sound brilliant on iFollow - well done to all of those that were there. Gutted I couldn’t go. Looking forward to going to Rochdale for some more of the same.
  • Options
    edited April 2018
    Stig said:

Wasn't there, but so glad to hear we had a big noisy following. As for flares, it's something we have a long and proud tradition of. Here are some fans with handmade newspaper flares at the record breaking match against Burton in 1956.

Charlton v Burton (1 of 1)

Bloody hooligans.

I bet they (now the're a bit older) were the ones letting off the smoke bombs yesterday.

Let's hope the young'uns of today don't get influenced by them. (winky face)
  • Options
    J BLOCK said:

Best atmosphere ever experienced at any game, loved the smoke bombs, keep them up.

Ah, but if the next one hits you in the eye it will change your view - literally and metaphorically.
  • Options
    Wasnt there but no doubt support was amazing.Every one is now needed at the valley against Blackburn.No excuses,forget RD this game should override everything else,especially as our beloved JJ will hopefully say a few words.
  • Options

Wasnt there but no doubt support was amazing.Every one is now needed at the valley against Blackburn.No excuses,forget RD this game should override everything else,especially as our beloved JJ will hopefully say a few words.

We don’t need everyone, just the two thousand four hundred that were at Portsmouth to be standing together...
  • Options

We don’t need everyone, just the two thousand four hundred that were at Portsmouth to be standing together...
    I was thinking that earlier. There was the comment yesterday from a Pompey fan along the lines of 'great support, but where were you at the Valley'. Although I like the Covered End I don't think two tiers helps with the atmosphere. In the cup qf at Bramall Lane I couldn't hear if/ what the top tier was singing, so you lose something.
    No idea what the answer is.
  • Options

I have been to many away games in my time, a few with larger crowds, but I have never been in a crowd singing and clapping non stop from before the start until well after the finish - awesome
    Pity about the flares

Echo this. Best away game I've been to since god knows when. I wasn't at Carlisle to see SCP's winners and it beats Blackburn (promotion & fa cup). Even beats Wembley for shear 100 min support & the fact we actually turned up for a must win game.

A bit of a shame re the flares but I don't think they inconvenienced too many people. We were right at the back so didn't affect us - am I a bit weird to like the smell though
    I got hit by one mate and had some decent clothes ruined. If I see a CAFC fan with flares in future, I will be dobbing him in without hesitation.
    The same flare hit two other people as well, so I expect they feel the same.

As for the guy that pulled the lady steward with glasses over the barrier and hurt her - you should feel very ashamed.
    I was at the back and for a while one of the flares rolled along our aisle, so ruined a couple of peoples trainers.
  • Options
    Heard some good things in dispatches. Great effort
  • Options
    edited April 2018

Halix said:

Deafening when we scored!.
    Pompey chimes my arse.

Pity about the flairs IMHO.

There was a guy about three rows in front of us with a proper '70s feather cut hairdo. Was he the one wearing the flairs?
    Thats the feller - disgraceful.