Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Now we need to fill the gaps in the middle....

OK then, it looks like the "new" Championship winning side is taking shape but, from what I can see, we still look desperately short in the middle of the park.

Our probable team looks like this....

Randolph

Sankofa - McCarthy - Bougherra - Thatcher

Ambrose - ??? - ??? - Reid

Varney - Iwulemo

Yes, notice the problem? A big feckin gap in the middle of the park, more like a chasm actually.

What are the options?

Holland is out of contract and I personally think we have seen his best days. Don't forget his real peak as a player was way back in 2000/01 in Ipswich's great first season in the Premiership, that's a bloody long time ago now and I think we can invest our cash better elsewhere.

Faye. Useless, even at a lower level. Get rid.

Walton. Untried with us and only mixed success on loan last season. Keep but not a first choice yet.

Hughes. Also out of contract, could do a job in the CCC but probably not in the middle of the park.

Kishishev. Also out of contract, seen his best days. Release.

So, we need at least three new central midfielders, probably another striker and a goalkeeper or two and we will be looking OK.

Comments

• Options
    I hope Holland stays he had a good end to his season and would be an asset, the rest I agree with.
  • Options
    Murray suggested 10 signings
    Need a goalkeeper of proven quality at this level, we need to bounce back an need an experienced custodian
    Need a right back, IF Luke Young goes
    A midfield, Reid is not the same player out on the left we need him more central
  • Options
    Is there a team in the division that has a prem quality midfield pairing? Fair enough we've been painfully weak in this area since you know who left but wouldn't a Reid and Holland/Hughes/Kish pairing be top draw in the fizzy pop? Truth is i haven't seen any lower league football for ages (like most on here) so i'd be interested to hear from those who have.

S.
  • Options
    What we need is a Kevin Ball type player, the Sunderland skipper in their succesful days under Reid.

Sure, not the most skilful but a great ball winnner, led by example and really dominated the middle of the pitch which we have not had since.....well, you know the rest of that sentence.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: SantaClaus[/cite]Is there a team in the division that has a prem quality midfield pairing? Fair enough we've been painfully weak in this area since you know who left but wouldn't a Reid and Holland/Hughes/Kish pairing be top draw in the fizzy pop?

Well said. At the moment our midfield could be Ambrose - Holland - Reid - Thomas. More than capable of tearing teams apart at CCC level. But i've said it before and i'll say it again i still expect Pards to move for Mullins and Etherington who curbs doesn't want.
  • Options
    here we go again Walton untried - what a load of bollox - he's played at CCC level for 3 seasons now he is not untried - ok he hasn't played for us but he is not ntried. he is 20/21 years old now he should be good enough end of.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Latimer[/cite]Need a goalkeeper of proven quality at this level, we need to bounce back an need an experienced custodian

As Smudge pointed out the other day, Mark Poom was quoted as saying that the offer he received from us was the same as from Watford, however we were bringing him in as our No.2, whereas Watford said he'd be their No.1, so it must mean that we have someone lined up.
  • Options
    The loan market won't get moving until much later in the summer when the Prem clubs have done their main buying and selling.

Not nice having to wait for the crumbs from Chelsea, Arsenal or whoever's table but we did alright with Carson and Song last year.

Agree about central midfield. A Kinsella type is needed but much easier to say than to find. Who is there who would come, permanently or on loan?
  • Options
    Agree about central midfield. A Kinsella type is needed but much easier to say than to find. Who is there who would come, permanently or on loan?[/quote]

Buggered if I know Henry. I guess that's why we pay Pards the big bucks!!!
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    No, he just reads this list and buys whoever we suggest. FACT ; - )
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: CharltonDan[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Latimer[/cite]Need a goalkeeper of proven quality at this level, we need to bounce back an need an experienced custodian

As Smudge pointed out the other day, Mark Poom was quoted as saying that the offer he received from us was the same as from Watford, however we were bringing him in as our No.2, whereas Watford said he'd be their No.1, so it must mean that we have someone lined up.

Doesn't say much for Pards' opinion of Randolph then if he was planning to bring in 2 keepers ahead of him.
  • Options
    No, he just reads this list and buys whoever we suggest. FACT ; - )[/quote]

Yeah? How about signing 16-stone clapped out striker Tony Brown from Mooroondu of the Brisbane XXXX League on a freebie?

He'll take 100,000 per year and a two-year deal, thanks.
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    We tried but his agent said that she needed him to do the washing up and mow the lawn so wasn't for sale.
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    [cite]Posted By: Chris_from_Sidcup[/cite]
    Doesn't say much for Pards' opinion of Randolph then if he was planning to bring in 2 keepers ahead of him.

Unless he is the first choice?
  • Options
    We tried but his agent said that she needed him to do the washing up and mow the lawn so wasn't for sale. [quote]

Henry, after that trip back for the Blackburn game I have been doing little else but extremely heavy domestic duties!
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    LOL

But that large cash bung we gave your agent must have come in handy?

What do you mean she never told you! : - )
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    [cite]Posted By: Ormiston Addick[/cite]No, he just reads this list and buys whoever we suggest. FACT ; - )
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Ormiston Addick[/cite]No, he just reads this list and buys whoever we suggest. FACT ; - )

Yeah? How about signing 16-stone clapped out striker Tony Brown from Mooroondu of the Brisbane XXXX League on a freebie?

He'll take 100,000 per year and a two-year deal, thanks.

You only want a 2 year contract and £100,000 per year, Ormy?
    Isn't that what we pay Lisbie?

You'll never make Operation Ewood again on that deal. ;-)
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    [cite]

Sometimes the technology here is just a whisker beyond my grasp........ :-)