Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Elvis Presley Live

On the Worst/Best Gigs thread, someone mentioned they'd seen Buddy Holly live in 1958. The only person I can think of who'd top that would be The King. So, a question. Was anyone on here lucky enough to see Elvis live?

Comments

• Too true. Sadly, not the case.
  • bobmunro said:

I’ve seen him live. There used to be a Chinese restaurant at the junction of the Old Kent Road and Ilderton Road where he used to play every night.

Well he said he was Elvis!

I saw the same guy at the Rivoli Ballroom. Shit sound system but quite a performer.
  • bobmunro said:

I’ve seen him live. There used to be a Chinese restaurant at the junction of the Old Kent Road and Ilderton Road where he used to play every night.

Well he said he was Elvis!

The home of the Chinese Elvis as it always sid on a banner over the door, IIRC.
  • Once, in Vegas.

I made him laugh though and it all went wrong.
  • My uncle interviewed Elvis a few times. Is that any good?
  • edited April 2018
    Sadly no. However Kirsty McColl met him many times in her local chippy, where no doubt he would have been singing whilst serving.
  • I would have loved to have seen him live, one of my first great memories in music, was listening to him singing Heartbreak Hotel on the jukebox, in the Hilltop Café at the corner of my street in Plumstead, me and my mates would try to make a Pepsi Cola last as long as we could until we got chucked out, when all the Teddy Boys started coming in.
  • edited April 2018

On the Worst/Best Gigs thread, someone mentioned they'd seen Buddy Holly live in 1958. The only person I can think of who'd top that would be The King. So, a question. Was anyone on here lucky enough to see Elvis live?

Buddy Holly was only 22 when he died. When you look at what he achieved in that ridiculously short amount of time and the transformational effect that he had on popular/modern music, you could argue that, had he lived, he'd have gone on to be even greater than Presley(?).

Just a thought, that's all.
  • Sponsored links:

• On the Worst/Best Gigs thread, someone mentioned they'd seen Buddy Holly live in 1958. The only person I can think of who'd top that would be The King. So, a question. Was anyone on here lucky enough to see Elvis live?

Buddy Holly was only 22 when he died. When you look at what he achieved in that ridiculously short amount of time and the transformational effect that he had on popular/modern music, you could argue that, had he lived, he'd have gone on to be even greater than Presley(?).

He would never have had the sex appeal, or the unreal voice. But the talent for songwriting, arranging, affable personality and his own not too shabby hobsons would have certainly have put him among the very best.
  • On the Worst/Best Gigs thread, someone mentioned they'd seen Buddy Holly live in 1958. The only person I can think of who'd top that would be The King. So, a question. Was anyone on here lucky enough to see Elvis live?

Wasn't the same once he dumped The Crickets though.
  • Went to the Elvis On Tour many years back when footage of Elvis singing the songs from various concerts were played on a big screen,Whilst his original band and backing singers were performing live on stage.Had a backstage pass for after the show and met everyone who all had some amazing stories to tell of Elvis.Brilliant night and was talking with band members till 3am the following morning.By the stories and just the way they all were it must of been an amazing time being on tour with Elvis

My dad saw Buddy Holly in 1958 at the Elephant & Castle Trocadero. Probably went on his BSA Goldstar.
  • hawksmoor said:

My dad saw Buddy Holly in 1958 at the Elephant & Castle Trocadero. Probably went on his BSA Goldstar.
    Would have imagined he’d have been on a tour bus. Not much room for the crickets on a BSA
  • Funnily enough, I'm reading a book about Chips Moman's American Studios, and I've just read the bit about Elvis recording there. Moman was told in no uncertain terms by members of Elvis's entourage not to tell Elvis if he's out of tune. First thing Moman does after the first take of the first song is get on the loudspeaker and say, 'Elvis, you were a bit pitchy on the chorus, can we do it again?'
  • hawksmoor said:

Funnily enough, I'm reading a book about Chips Moman's American Studios, and I've just read the bit about Elvis recording there. Moman was told in no uncertain terms by members of Elvis's entourage not to tell Elvis if he's out of tune. First thing Moman does after the first take of the first song is get on the loudspeaker and say, 'Elvis, you were a bit pitchy on the chorus, can we do it again?'

Good for him. Never be afraid to speak truth to power.
  • Elvis with Chips Moman.