Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Ref Today

2»

Comments

• Options

I thought he was excellent,easily the best ive seen down The Valley for a while. Let the game flow and was fair to both teams.

Yeah I'm pretty sure BRFC Fans may have different opinion.

The thing that has bugged me all season in this division is the inability for the linesman to make any sort of decision including throw ins. They all wait for the ref for EVERY decision barring offside then wave whatever way he decides.

I thought today's ref was very quick to blow the whistle but that was very much to our benefit.
    Have you ever "run the line" with a qualified Ref doing the game? They only want you to concentrate on off-side and like to make all other decisions where possible themselves. They tell you to wait for their signal for throw-ins which will be a discreet finger point at below waist level.
    Don't blame the lino!
  • Options
    edited April 2018
    He was absolutely excellent. Got most decisions correct but more importantly he was very vocal and allowed the game to flow, well done him. I hope he is a real sucesss.
  • Options
    I thought he was excellent. You wouldn't have thought it though from the Valley>>Pass commentary team (Terry and greg). They tend to get into ref bashing which, in my opinion, is often uncalled for. Overall their commentary is good and much appreciated but I do find that a bit tiresome.
  • Options
    Riviera said:

I thought he was excellent,easily the best ive seen down The Valley for a while. Let the game flow and was fair to both teams.

The thing that has bugged me all season in this division is the inability for the linesman to make any sort of decision including throw ins. They all wait for the ref for EVERY decision barring offside then wave whatever way he decides.

I thought today's ref was very quick to blow the whistle but that was very much to our benefit.
    Have you ever "run the line" with a qualified Ref doing the game? They only want you to concentrate on off-side and like to make all other decisions where possible themselves. They tell you to wait for their signal for throw-ins which will be a discreet finger point at below waist level.
    Don't blame the lino!
    well if the lino only has to concentrate on the offsides the one on the East Stand first half had a shocker as the player was at least a yard offside. I don't believe the ref "evened it up" with not giving them a pen - they simply fon't work like that. He could have given the pen & then spoken to the lino & "suggested" that he was offside before the pen incident but I dont think for one moment he thought "my mates had a shocker there, best save his neck & not give a pen"

I agree that Caddis should have been booked for takinv out Marshall, but don't agree that there was a back pass leading up to Page's booking - think the ball just cannoned off the defenders leg to the keeper & he didn't deliberately play the ball.
  • Options
    It was def NOT a penalty. Both my friend and I were in line with it. Definetly about 2 yards offside (shocking from the lino), ref was in a great position to see that our defender made an excellent clean tackle. I normally quite vocals at refs. I thought he was an excellent ref. Best I have seen since that ex copper who sent our player off against West Ham at Uptown Park whose name I had forgotten.
  • Options
    I must admit when I saw him warming up, I thought it was going to be all about him, he was strutting up and in front of the west stand and doing a great impression of a can can dancer, how the hell he kicked his leg up so high I ain’t got a clue. But how wrong was I a great ref who will do very well, thought he was calm, positive and unfussy, let the game flow and was fair but strict if that makes sense.

Not sure the Blackburn bench would agree with me, from the amount of moaning and groaning that was coming from down there.
  • Options
    Riviera said:

Don't blame the lino!
    Yes I have mate but if I am a yard away from where the throw in should be decided Id like to think Id have a better shout than the ref 30 yrds away

Linos always used to make decisions on throw ins, corners, goal kicks if they were closer but for some reason they are just there to agree with the ref now?
  • Options
    I will tell you one thing about the ref that I know simply by watching him ref. That is he has played the game to a half decent level and understands it. It doesn't mean they should be ex pros but so many refs don't understand the game. They haven't had their ankles nibbled, they don't know the tricks and despite what some defenders of refs may say, it disadvantages them.
  • Options

I will tell you one thing about the ref that I know simply by watching him ref. That is he has played the game to a half decent level and understands it. It doesn't mean they should be ex pros but so many refs don't understand the game. They haven't had their ankles nibbled, they don't know the tricks and despite what some defenders of refs may say, it disadvantages them.

I very much doubt if many, if any, top referees have played the game to a decent level , simply because the best start so young and get fast tracked. Just look at the average age of Premier refs in the modern era, not forgetting, fast tracking apart, they have to come through a lenghly list of leagues. No time to play at a decent level.

The current system differs from my experience many years ago. I started refereeing at the age of 28, having played the game, and one had to make the league linesmans list by 40 to progess further. Graham Poll broke the mould in my era, startibg as a teenager and became, at that tine, the youngest ever football league referee. This trend has continued to this day.
  • Options
    edited April 2018
    PeterGage said:

I very much doubt if many, if any, top referees have played the game to a decent level , simply because the best start so young and get fast tracked. Just look at the average age of Premier refs in the modern era, not forgetting, fast tracking apart, they have to come through a lenghly list of leagues. No time to play at a decent level.

The current system differs from my experience many years ago. I started refereeing at the age of 28, having played the game, and one had to make the league linesmans list by 40 to progess further. Graham Poll broke the mould in my era, startibg as a teenager and became, at that tine, the youngest ever football league referee. This trend has continued to this day.
    I think that is part of the problem - I know we disagree on this. There is a decent level below professional football where you can learn aspects of the game that would really benefit refs. What I see a lot of is situations where the ref clearly sees something and makes a decision, but it is clear he doesn't fully understand what is going on.

That isn't to say the best refs can't achieve the knowledge without playing and most of them end up at the top of the game, but it makes it harder and it is why so many refs are hopless in my opinion - especially at lower league level.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Fumbluff said:

Ref was good but 7-minuted was a bit creative

With the Page injury and the 5 subs in the 2nd half easily 7 minutes. I was fearful of 10.
  • Options
    I was saying this on the train back last night I thought he had a good game. Sitting almost on the half way line in the west stand, I had a cracking view of three of the most cynical fouls you will probably see throughout the whole season.
  • Options

Riviera said:

Don't blame the lino!
    Yes I have mate but if I am a yard away from where the throw in should be decided Id like to think Id have a better shout than the ref 30 yrds away

Linos always used to make decisions on throw ins, corners, goal kicks if they were closer but for some reason they are just there to agree with the ref now?
    That is my point, the new breed of ref want to control everything.
  • Options
    The ref and Lino have mics but they will still lead each other in to make the decision.the ref will be pointing the intended way and the Lino will have his flag held out below waist in the intended direction. They will make eye contact to agree then both indicate the direction of decision.you don’t just bang a flag out as this leads to crossing with each other and then you look like you don’t know what you doing. So even if it’s under the Lino’s nose he might look at the ref through habit. But also you might not think it but the ones right under your nose can be the hardest decision because you are looking across the line for offside.so because of this the area to your left can be a bit of a blind spot because your number one job is the offside. Hope this helps you none referees understand a bit more.
  • Options

The ref and Lino have mics but they will still lead each other in to make the decision.the ref will be pointing the intended way and the Lino will have his flag held out below waist in the intended direction. They will make eye contact to agree then both indicate the direction of decision.you don’t just bang a flag out as this leads to crossing with each other and then you look like you don’t know what you doing. So even if it’s under the Lino’s nose he might look at the ref through habit. But also you might not think it but the ones right under your nose can be the hardest decision because you are looking across the line for offside.so because of this the area to your left can be a bit of a blind spot because your number one job is the offside. Hope this helps you none referees understand a bit more.

What's a none referee?
  • Options
    He was a good ref, treated both teams equally and got the vast majority of decisions spot on.