Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Ellis Short Sells Sunderland - Pays Off All Debt

2»

Comments

• Options

The club is losing £2.5M per month last I heard.

A lot of contracts finally end this season and apparently 14 players at minimum will be sold/dropped. Then again, as parachute payments drop, it may offset those cost cutbacks.

I think the big threat for Sunderland now is they clearly have exceeded FFP loss limits for a few years and I wonder if a transfer embargo is in their future?

In League One, they can cut your spending in advance of your financials coming out, not after the fact like in The Championship and PL.

Sunderland will get 35m next season in premier league parachute payments so that will help.
  • Options

A lot of contracts finally end this season and apparently 14 players at minimum will be sold/dropped. Then again, as parachute payments drop, it may offset those cost cutbacks.

I think the big threat for Sunderland now is they clearly have exceeded FFP loss limits for a few years and I wonder if a transfer embargo is in their future?

In League One, they can cut your spending in advance of your financials coming out, not after the fact like in The Championship and PL.

Sunderland will get 35m next season in premier league parachute payments so that will help.
    Dont you get the feeling that the guy taking over has done a cute job here. In L1 - should storm it with players they have and income they have.
    Huge fanbase. potential for immediate return to premiership,get rid of all the expensive players in the summer.
    Get them to Premiership then sell.

And he came from..........Eastleigh.

You watch.
    ( i bet half the sale when they are in Prem goes to Short)
  • Options

Do you remember what the grace period is on FFP losses coming down from the Prem? Is it two or three years? Either way yeah, even assuming whoever is left had relegation clauses in their contracts, I can't imagine you go from Premier League wages to sustainable League One wages, for whoever is left. They have a lot of players on loan which I guess helps, in a way, I guess.

But looking at that squad, without knowing who is out of contract, there is a lot of dross there. Apart from the two mentioned previously and maybe a couple others, I don't see many saleable assets. A lot of players who never quite made the grade or who are in decline. Having Sam Allardyce and then David Moyes as your managers will do that to you. Two men who like to throw around huge wage packets with what I'd call a mediocre record with signings.
  • Options
    On paper the signings they made in the Championship don't look totally bad, without hindsight most look like sensible signings of experience British pros or talented youngsters on loan, who you would have thought would be good enough for survival at least
  • Options
    Seems to me that fans are always told that clubs are burdened with massive debts and our money is needed by the unfortunate owner to pay the interest on the debts. But the interest is actually owed to the owner anyway so he makes a nice profit from the club being in debt.

Of course, this is just me theorising - it couldn't possibly happen in reality!!!
  • Options

On paper the signings they made in the Championship don't look totally bad, without hindsight most look like sensible signings of experience British pros or talented youngsters on loan, who you would have thought would be good enough for survival at least

True but i guess 'on paper' any side relegated from the premier league side should have enough about them to avoid finishing bottom of the championship. You've got to be a special kind of shit to finish bottom of the league 2 years running!
  • Options
    edited April 2018

They signed Aiden McGeady on a three year deal in the summer!

But I agree on paper their signings don't looks terrible, it's the dross they're stuck with from their years of bad signings. But I'd also say going a little deeper with some of the loan signings, Ty Browning, Brendan Galloway, McManaman, and Ashley Fletcher all feel like nearly men. I know the level they've nearly done it at is the Premier League but I haven't seen anything from them recently that indicated they were about to break out. You could potentially throw James Vaughan into that mix. Obviously a great season last year but that's really the exception rather than the rule. The one goal in 20 or whatever he had for them is far more normal for him. And I personally don't really rate Clarke-Salter, I think he's slow to react and always has a mistake in him.

The thing all of those players have in common for me is that they feel like support players, the kind where they could well have a solid season alongside solid players, but there's an element of risk involved. I'd say you want two maybe three, and instead they have seven or eight. That may be down to being burdened by rubbish signings of the past, but it feels very "which can we get who is on the fringes of their Premier League club?"

I know hindsight is 20/20 and maybe I would have said something different in the summer.
  • Options
    can’t remember the name of the guy they signed from Man City, want to say Redmond but think it’s wrong, but he has a year left on his contract at 70k pw. Highest paid League One player ever I’d imagine.
  • Options

can’t remember the name of the guy they signed from Man City, want to say Redmond but think it’s wrong, but he has a year left on his contract at 70k pw. Highest paid League One player ever I’d imagine.

Rodwell.

Not the most complimentary interviews about him from Coleman came out last week.
  • Options
    That’s the one Joe. I didn’t read the interview but can only imagine.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    he's clearly got a good agent !....

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/43905840
  • Options

Rodwell.

Not the most complimentary interviews about him from Coleman came out last week.
    A good reminder that when people talk about a player being the future of English football at 16-18, it usually just because they're an exceptionally good athlete for their age, not necessarily a good footballer.
  • Options
    Rodwell was a good player though - sometimes it all goes sour.
  • Options

Rodwell was a good player though - sometimes it all goes sour.

But like, was he though? I saw him have one good game for Everton and one good game for City and that was it. He didn't seem to have a position or positional discipline. He touch was mediocre.

Look, things definitely went very sour for him, a lot of injury problems, and he's definitely gotten much worse. I just don't think he was ever that good.
  • Options
    Stewart Donald the current Eastleigh FC chairman is involved in the takeover and says he has the funds available to make Sunderland a success.
  • Options
    Many reasons why it doesnt all fit together, some fall by the wayside, some progress at different times in their lives, sometimes its hard to understand why. Its a bit like top cricket players - so many players who you think are brilliant players at 16-20 just fail - most of it is in the mind.
    When i saw Rodwell at Everton, i thought he would an England regular for a long time. Sad really.
  • Options
    Badger said:

Stewart Donald the current Eastleigh FC chairman is involved in the takeover and says he has the funds available to make Sunderland a success.

Is he employing his brother Mick?
  • Options
    Rodwell seemed a very good player when young.

It's interesting how some players like Rodwell, Diego Poyet and Francis Jeffers start off brightly then fade, whereas others start with rejection, but fight their way up to the top (Ian Wright, Jamie Vardy)

• Options
    How on earth does Rodwell have a clause that means he'll get a wage cut in league one but he didn't have one when they dropped from the prem to championship?

Pretty sure no one could've foreseen them dropping 2 divisions
  • Options
    Its a nice gesture but I don't believe the numbers being banded about. If a business is worth 30-40m but is £140m in debt then, logically, that debt is worth £40m. My guess is that hes written off his own debt and done a deal with the Debt holder who will have also taken a haircut in order for both to exit. Short is walking away with nothing, other than the £2.5m per month hes now not shelling out i.e. hes saving himself £30m a year, possibly more following relegation.