Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Best outcome from next week

The Mail on Sunday today says we only need a draw next week to be sure of making the play offs. Surely not correct.
If Plymouth get 6 points from their last two games and Scunny 3 points I make it that we have to win to finish with 74 points to be in the play offs. Am i right?
So we really need Scunny to win midweek and then we need at last a draw or can miss out on goal difference if we lose next Saturday.

Comments

• Strange - the Mail doesn't usually publish factual inaccuracies

Is that irony?
  • edited April 2018
    A Charlton supporter wins 500 million on Euromillions and persuades Roland to sell within 24 hours.
  • If Scunthorpe beat Plymouth then all we'd need is a draw.

If they draw we'd need to match Plymouth's result

If Plymouth win we'd need to match Scunthorpe's result
  • If Scunthorpe beat Plymouth then the three point difference to Plymouth means that we are there barring a big change (at least five) in goal difference on the final day.

If Plymouth win, matching the result of one of Scunthorpe or Plymouth would be enough to see us finish top 6. If one of the two draw then we can afford a draw. If one of them lose, we're guaranteed a place regardless of our result. If they both win, we must beat Rochdale to finish top six. Scunthorpe would be the team to miss out in that scenario.

And if it's a draw between them then we'd need at least the result at least one step down from Plymouth e.g. if they win at Gillingham, we need a draw and if they draw at Gillingham then our result is irrelevant because they'll be on 70 points and unable to catch us.

The above assumes no freak results like 7-0 to swing the goal difference.

So in scenario one, a 2-0 win for Plymouth, and a 3-0 defeat for us on the final day would leave both clubs with a goal difference of 6, and both will have scored 58 and conceded 53? I assume then there would be play off for a play off place? A 5 goal swing isn't that outrageous a concept (though highly doubtful I agree).
  • raddickle said:

Strange - the Mail doesn't usually publish factual inaccuracies

Is that irony?
    No it’s sarcasm.
  • If Scunthorpe beat Plymouth then the three point difference to Plymouth means that we are there barring a big change (at least five) in goal difference on the final day.

If Plymouth win, matching the result of one of Scunthorpe or Plymouth would be enough to see us finish top 6. If one of the two draw then we can afford a draw. If one of them lose, we're guaranteed a place regardless of our result. If they both win, we must beat Rochdale to finish top six. Scunthorpe would be the team to miss out in that scenario.

And if it's a draw between them then we'd need at least the result at least one step down from Plymouth e.g. if they win at Gillingham, we need a draw and if they draw at Gillingham then our result is irrelevant because they'll be on 70 points and unable to catch us.

The above assumes no freak results like 7-0 to swing the goal difference.

So in scenario one, a 2-0 win for Plymouth, and a 3-0 defeat for us on the final day would leave both clubs with a goal difference of 6, and both will have scored 58 and conceded 53? I assume then there would be play off for a play off place? A 5 goal swing isn't that outrageous a concept (though highly doubtful I agree).
    I think it then goes to a head to head... which seeing as we have each won 2-0 it would then indeed be a one off match!
  • The best outcome is the septic septuagenarian relinquishing his deathlike grip on Charlton Athletic.
    Football results remain a secondary factor sadly.
    With the bungler still in situ, relegation next season is assured, whichever division we're in come August.
    Saturday's atmosphere only reaffirmed the necessity for regime change. Without that, CAFC's future is bleak and brief.