Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Advice please - streaming football on a tablet abroad, and on a plane!

Off on holiday to Mexico in a couple of weeks. There's a few games on the box while I'm away that I'm quite keen to watch. In particular, the Champions League Final kicks off just as my flight home is taking off - there is definitely Wi-Fi available on my flight, and I've got BT Sport and Now TV apps on my tablet.

Will I be able to watch the Champions League Final on board a plane? Will the wifi signal be strong enough to get a decent picture? Will I be able to watch it on BT Sport, or do I need to get a VPN?

Cheers in advance for any advice you can give.

Comments

• MrLargo said:

Off on holiday to Mexico in a couple of weeks. There's a few games on the box while I'm away that I'm quite keen to watch. In particular, the Champions League Final kicks off just as my flight home is taking off - there is definitely Wi-Fi available on my flight, and I've got BT Sport and Now TV apps on my tablet.

Will I be able to watch the Champions League Final on board a plane? Will the wifi signal be strong enough to get a decent picture? Will I be able to watch it on BT Sport, or do I need to get a VPN?

Really don't think you'll watch the final tbh
  • Hesgoals will stream it can't answer about the WiFi signal
  • My experience (this might just be for US domestic flights though) is that they tend to block streaming services because of the amount of bandwidth required. I'm pretty sure I've tried little cheaky ways around it, but it seemed that if you exceeded a certain amount of bandwidth the streaming video just didn't load because of restrictions from their Wi-Fi. Again, I can't remember if I've tried this for international flights but definitely have for US Domestic ones.

Even if the plane didn't block it, I don't know that the Wi-Fi would be strong enough to stream something. My experience is it varies plane to plane.
  • You don't have to worry Mr L, if your flight experience is anything like your train journeys your flight home will be delayed, when the game kicks off you will have been shoe horned into a departure lounge as they will have called you to the gate before informing you of the delay.

And when you do finally get on the plane there will be no internet.

Have a great holiday!!
  • You don't have to worry Mr L, if your flight experience is anything like your train journeys your flight home will be delayed, when the game kicks off you will have been shoe horned into a departure lounge as they will have called you to the gate before informing you of the delay.

And when you do finally get on the plane there will be no internet.

Have a great holiday!!

Don't even joke about it Mike! I land on the morning of the play-off final. If all goes well in the next couple of weeks then I can't afford any delays!

Fully expecting the flight to be fine and everything to go smoothly until I get on the train back from Gatwick and get stranded outside East Croydon due to sheep on the line for 6 hours.
  • Which airline are you flying with?
  • Delta mate.
  • Never mind all that Champions League nonsense, surely you'll be getting yourself match fit for the big one that must kick off shortly after you land back into London?
  • edited May 2018
    BT Sport doesn’t allow the VPN workaround .
    Last few years I’ve tried VPN abroad and BT Sport is never allowed .
    Also Wi-fi on planes I’ve been on (Emirates and one other I can’t remember maybe BA a while back ) is never anywhere near strong enough for downloading stuff / watching Live Stream
    Record it for when you get home and do everything to avoid the result , Likely Lads style
  • Classic. England F.
  • Sponsored links:

• BT Sport doesn’t allow the VPN workaround .
    Last few years I’ve tried VPN abroad and BT Sport is never allowed .
    Also Wi-fi on planes I’ve been on (Emirates and one other I can’t remember maybe BA a while back ) is never anywhere near strong enough for downloading stuff / watching Live Stream
    Record it for when you get home and do everything to avoid the result , Likely Lads style

Cheers, that's useful. At least I know not to waste my time getting in an angry fit trying to make it work.
  • Not going to happen. Record the playoff final against Sunderland, watch that and dream!
  • Chizz said:

Which airline are you flying with?

As long as its not Delta Chizz he should be okay......................ohhh!
  • edited May 2018
    MrLargo said:

have managed to stream man u vs chelsea a few years back on a virgin atlantic flight but i did have to pay for the premium wifi

also @MrLargo if you find any channels in mexico showing the playoff lets us know please, as like a cnut am there from 19th - 29th may.
  • Delta would probably charge you more than the flight cost itself for streaming that amount of data in flight!
  • MrLargo said:

have managed to stream man u vs chelsea a few years back on a virgin atlantic flight but i did have to pay for the premium wifi

also @MrLargo if you find any channels in mexico showing the playoff lets us know please, as like a cnut am there from 19th - 29th may.
    That's interesting @PalaceHater . Just looked on the Delta website, sounds encouraging - they charge $28 for a day pass, need to be providing a pretty decent connection for that sort of money.

FASTER WI-FI NOW AVAILABLE

2KU | NEXT GENERATION TECHNOLOGY
    We’re bringing at-home Wi-Fi speed and reliability to the air with 2Ku, the next-generation technology from Gogo, offering peak speeds of 15+ Mbps to your seat. That means whether you’re streaming video, working remotely or simply browsing the web, you can enjoy industry-leading Wi-Fi speeds on your flight. 2Ku also offers continuous connectivity from pushback to park.

Regarding the play-off final, I'll no doubt be watching the FA Cup Final in an Irish bar/Sports bar, will make a note of the channel it's on.
  • edited May 2018
    I know my son watched a Premiership game live whilst in the air with Emirates - but he was flying business class.