Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Shrewsbury away 13/5 k/o 17.15

2»

Comments

• Options
    edited May 2018

Yet again they plan for one coach.

1500 tickets for an evening game with a difficult journey home. One coach. Bizarre.
    They might stretch to two for the final.
    While it's clearly convenient for "Valley Express" fans, the final at Wembley (3pm kickoff) for most people is easy to get to anyway on normal transport. There's even a direct tube from North Greenwich!
    I believe we had about 50 coaches go in '98.
    114 of which 79 from the local area. All of them organised by volunteers.
  • Options
    edited May 2018

Where does it say there will only be one coach ?
    It says services, which would suggest there may be more than one coach.
    Presumably, you've been told there is only one, or more likely you are saying that because of the crazy schedule, it's set up as if there would only be one ?

(I agree with the timings).
    The point is that you would only set those timings for one coach (and in fact you wouldn’t do that because it’s obviously too many pick-ups). I’m sure they will end up running more, but because they won’t ever commit to that they always set stupid times, which in turn puts people off. There is absolutely no need to set up on the basis you might only run one for this fixture (or most others).

The club ran an average of 100 away coaches a season in L1 from 2009-2012. There really hasn’t been any change in numbers wanting to travel or preferred means to account for a 75 per cent reduction. It is the outcome of laziness and/or stupidity. And the consequence will be less profit - guaranteed.
    Agree with all of that.
    But the point is there will probably not be only one coach, as you say you are sure they will end up running more.
    Your original post was misleading, which has now been clarified.
  • Options

Presumably, you've been told there is only one, or more likely you are saying that because of the crazy schedule, it's set up as if there would only be one ?

The point is that you would only set those timings for one coach (and in fact you wouldn’t do that because it’s obviously too many pick-ups). I’m sure they will end up running more, but because they won’t ever commit to that they always set stupid times, which in turn puts people off. There is absolutely no need to set up on the basis you might only run one for this fixture (or most others).

The club ran an average of 100 away coaches a season in L1 from 2009-2012. There really hasn’t been any change in numbers wanting to travel or preferred means to account for a 75 per cent reduction. It is the outcome of laziness and/or stupidity. And the consequence will be less profit - guaranteed.
    Agree with all of that.
    But the point is there will probably not be only one coach, as you say you are sure they will end up running more.
    They should make things easy for the supporters, the club clearly are not.

They should at least have two coaches with sensible pick up points.
  • Options

Agree with all of that.
    Pompous bollocks.
  • Options
    edited May 2018
    Reckon this will be just the second game in my 35 years as a fan I won’t get a ticket for despite wanting to go. :-(

Can’t see there being any left Friday 9am when my chance to buy comes round.
  • Options
    Sage said:

Might be a stupid question... but how would you get back from London Euston at 00:35am Monday morning?

Happy to drive to Euston and park up close and then offer a lift home to anyone who has a season ticket and wants to use their ability to buy two tickets to get me one (given my post above....!)
  • Options

Reckon this will be just the second game in my 35 years as a fan I won’t get a ticket for despite wanting to go. :-(

Can’t see there being any left Friday 9am when my chance to buy comes round.

Friday may provide a problem I must admit
  • Options
    edited May 2018

Agree with all of that.
    Pompous bollocks.
    Don't be so harsh on yourself. Simply misleading is how I would describe your post.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    If any spares from Shrews away become available please do message me, I will not be able to purchase by phone on Thursday and receive tickets by post on time. Travelling from Shropshire to London to get tickets for a game in Shrewsbury would be very crazy.
  • Options

1500 tickets for an evening game with a difficult journey home. One coach. Bizarre.
    They might stretch to two for the final.
    While it's clearly convenient for "Valley Express" fans, the final at Wembley (3pm kickoff) for most people is easy to get to anyway on normal transport. There's even a direct tube from North Greenwich!
    I believe we had about 50 coaches go in '98.
    114 of which 79 from the local area. All of them organised by volunteers.
    I stewarded the coach from Lewisham Station.
  • Options
    Why did we need so many coaches for Wembley. It is on the tube for god sakes.
  • Options
    edited May 2018
    MrOneLung said:

Because all our supporters live in Kent, don't you know. (winky face)
  • Options
    Shrew said:

If any spares from Shrews away become available please do message me, I will not be able to purchase by phone on Thursday and receive tickets by post on time. Travelling from Shropshire to London to get tickets for a game in Shrewsbury would be very crazy.

Go in the home end as a last resort.
  • Options
    edited May 2018
    MrOneLung said:

About 6,000 people chose to travel by coach in 1998, the majority of them locals. From recollection we had three from Plumstead Common. I can vividly remember people coming out of the houses in the nearby roads to get them - people you would never have known were Charlton supporters.

I never really understand the view that other people shouldn’t be allowed their choice just because it doesn’t coincide with yours. How many times do people come on here and say they hate going by coach? So what? Some people dislike the underground, struggle to walk very far or just find it convenient. Some don’t want to mix with opposition fans.

I’m not a big coach traveller myself, as it happens, but it invariably makes money so why wouldn’t the club provide that service for those who want it?
  • Options
    edited May 2018

Shrew said:

• Options
    edited May 2018
    MrOneLung said:

I organised six coaches from Sevenoaks. Made it simple and easy for people to buy tickets and travel directly through me - very few chose to make it to Wembley under their own steam.

Met up in the Farmers at 09.30 as the coaches left at 11.00. First stop was at Clacketts lane, about ten minutes away, for about 20% of the blokes to rush out for the loo!

Made it until the A40 at about Northolt until we had to repeat the exercise.
  • Options
    edited May 2018
    MrOneLung said:

I was asking myself why I went by coach, but came back by tube. It was probably, in my case, that @Airman Brown had kindly organised my ticket, and it was the easiest way to meet up, on the Plumstead coach.

The reason not to come back that way was that about 1,000 of us had been given tickets to gather in a big hall near the Stadium before and after, courtesy of Richard Murray's Avesco. Something tells me that nothing similar will be laid on this time (even if we get there). Everything was different then.

@Airman Brown how many coaches did we run to Ipswich for the away leg? I was assuming the 114 refers to the final?

• Options
    MrOneLung said:

It was far easier for those with kids. We travelled in a party on a coach which included half a dozen kids of primary school age. Also included some grandparents. Coach from the local village was far easier for us, although admittedly wouldn't choose this way as a single bloke.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Shrew said:

Shrew said:

Miss Shrewsbury 1972,1980,2017
  • Options
    Sage said:

Might be a stupid question... but how would you get back from London Euston at 00:35am Monday morning?

"Alright darling....signals not too good here...drunk? nah nah nah..thing is...eh? The time?...I know I know sorry, sorry darling, I wouldn't bother you but..."
  • Options

Sage said:

"Alright darling....signals not too good here...drunk? nah nah nah..thing is...eh? The time?...I know I know sorry, sorry darling, I wouldn't bother you but..."
    " ...can I have a cab please going south of the river"
  • Options
    I understand why some people choose the coach, just surprised that so many did on this occasion.
  • Options
    I don't think we had the North Greenwich tube option at the time which I'm pretty sure would handle the bulk of our fans this time should we make it.

Talking of coaches from Plumstead Common I can't remember why now but I had one of the coaches parking permits given to me in advance to give to the driver so I had no choice to stick with the coach booking even if I wanted to change it!
  • Options

MrOneLung said:

The reason not to come back that way was that about 1,000 of us had been given tickets to gather in a big hall near the Stadium before and after, courtesy of Richard Murray's Avesco. Something tells me that nothing similar will be laid on this time (even if we get there). Everything was different then.

‘Lounge lizard’ @PragueAddick :-)
  • Options
    I got a coach to Wembley from Greenwich. That was in 1987 though (v Blackburn) and I was only 9.
  • Options
    edited May 2018

I don't think we had the North Greenwich tube option at the time which I'm pretty sure would handle the bulk of our fans this time should we make it.

Talking of coaches from Plumstead Common I can't remember why now but I had one of the coaches parking permits given to me in advance to give to the driver so I had no choice to stick with the coach booking even if I wanted to change it!

North Greenwich wasn’t open but I doubt it would make much difference to people who don’t live on that side of the borough - for example those in Bexley and Bromley, especially as parking at NG is expensive.

It’s all academic anyway because CASC was the organiser and coaches were what it did best. The club isn’t going to make the same effort, whether it’s needed or not (either in terms of us qualifying for the final or there being demand).

I don’t have any recollection of the coaches to Ipswich, Prague, and probably went by car myself as I would have been covering the post-match for the paper.
  • Options

North Greenwich wasn’t open but I doubt it would make much difference to people who don’t live on that side of the borough - for example those in Bexley and Bromley, especially as parking at NG is expensive.

It’s all academic anyway because CASC was the organiser and coaches were what it did best. The club isn’t going to make the same effort, whether it’s needed or not (either in terms of us qualifying for the final or there being demand).

I don’t have any recollection of the coaches to Ipswich, Prague, and probably went by car myself as I would have been covering the post-match for the paper.
    You went by car because I drove you, and Tom Morris too :smile: