Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Quirky local landmarks

1235»

Comments

• Options

Rotunda in Ha Ha Road

You're having a laugh.
  • Options
    The Ha-ha in Ha-Ha Road

It can still be seen separating the Royal Artillery Barracks and Woolwich Common.
  • Options
    Carter said:

The statue of Sir Thomas Waghorn in Chatham. He points towards the river and sits upon a bit of land opposite Wickes.

It's a local rites of passage to put a cone one his head, the weaker among the medway youth claim a cone over his pointing arm as a victory but it has to be head or nothing

If we're going that far afield, this bloke in Margate. Weirdly, I never notice it driving in to the town, only when leaving.
  • Options
    edited May 2018

Carter said:

The statue of Sir Thomas Waghorn in Chatham. He points towards the river and sits upon a bit of land opposite Wickes.

It's a local rites of passage to put a cone one his head, the weaker among the medway youth claim a cone over his pointing arm as a victory but it has to be head or nothing

If we're going that far afield, this bloke in Margate. Weirdly, I never notice it driving in to the town, only when leaving.
    He's looking out to Nayland Rock I believe.

No idea why!

EDIT: Decided out of curiosity to try and find out why and found this:

http://www.margatehandbook.co.uk/?page=articles&article=107
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:

The guy that used to direct the traffic on the ramps of the Blackwall Tunnel south bound

Was that where there used to be a police box (Tardis) and, if so, was it there for him?
    Also, there used to be a blue police box on Welling Corner when I was a kid.

One outside the Odeon in Well Hall also .
  • Options
    Severndroog Castle , recently restored and back open to the public , I remember it costing sixpence to get in , great views from the top .
    http://www.severndroogcastle.org.uk/
  • Options
    fadgadget said:

Severndroog Castle , recently restored and back open to the public , I remember it costing sixpence to get in , great views from the top .
    http://www.severndroogcastle.org.uk/

Back in the day you could see Windsor Castle from there on a clear day.

No idea whether or not that is still the case. Wouldn't surprise me if a tower block or two have sprung up in the interim though.
  • Options

Carter said:

Always thought it was Bruce Forsyth.
  • Options
    LenGlover said:

Carter said:

He's looking out to Nayland Rock I believe.

No idea why!

EDIT: Decided out of curiosity to try and find out why and found this:

http://www.margatehandbook.co.uk/?page=articles&article=107
    If anyone else has a personal interest in this, please message me. The 2 Brockman men on board were related to my maternal great grandmother, and I have done a lot of research into contemporary accounts of the Surfboat Disaster in the course of family history research.
  • Options

Still visable in Danson Park,a low wall that formed part of the open air swimming pool that was a big part of my youth in the 1960's.

How Bexley Council got away with demolishing that beautiful Art Deco building I'll never know.

Yes and I seem to recall they closed it in 1977 exactly a year after that long, hot summer. It was a great example of Art Deco. Didn't it briefly become a skateboard park?
    Was a awsome pool
    Used it when it Did become a skate park
    But was never going to compete with Greenwich park
    Get my bengi board and yo-yo's back out
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Rotunda in Ha Ha Road

Very funny.
  • Options
    Been quite a serious accident tonight in Blackheath, the tea hut has been badly damaged hopefully there's no casualties.
  • Options
    Oh shit I was going to go there for breakfast an all. 
  • Options
    Lady taken to hospital,broken bones I think.
    But the hut will have to be rebuilt.
    See separate thread.