Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Top five comics / graphic novels

2»

Comments

• Options
    Watchmen was a masterpiece - a challenging read. Film made a good attempt at it even though it was impossible!
  • Options

Watchmen was a masterpiece - a challenging read. Film made a good attempt at it even though it was impossible!

The problem with the film was it tried to be a film of the comic rather than a film of the story.

From Hell was an appalling film.

The best adaptation of one of Alan Moore's films is V for Vendetta, even though Alan wasn't happy with it.
  • Options

The problem with the film was it tried to be a film of the comic rather than a film of the story.

The best adaptation of one of Alan Moore's films is V for Vendetta, even though Alan wasn't happy with it.
    As far as I recall, he disowned it completely.
  • Options
    stonemuse said:

He has signed all his royalties for the Watchmen movie over to Dave Gibbons. He had his name taken off the movie credits and hasn't made a penny from it. He's a strange man, principled to a fault.
  • Options
    edited May 2018
    Missed It said:

stonemuse said:

He has signed all his royalties for the Watchmen movie over to Dave Gibbons. He had his name taken off the movie credits and hasn't made a penny from it. He's a strange man, principled to a fault.
    He is indeed, but a genius in his way.

Dave Gibbons deserves every penny he gets ... for me, he is the best in his genre ... apart from Dave McKean.
  • Options

A thread about graphic novels is not something I ever thought I'd see on charlton life. I'm a.marvel fan so other then number 1 marvel fills the list.
    1. Dark knight returns-a superb story the batman v superman as it should be not what we got on the big screen.
    2. Secret Wars (the original)- okay the story is ridiculous but I loves it the ultimate marvel good guy v bad guy story
    3. Ultimate War - set in marvels now defunct Ultimate Universe this was all out war between the X men and the ultimate (the avengers)
    4. Death of Captain Marvel even superheroes can die and remain dead cancer beating the great man
    5. Marvels- the tale of superheroes though the ages from a bystanders point of view.

Also watching with interest.

Only ever been a massive Marvel fanboy from about 6 years old when buying one of the British re-prints by mistake, fell out of love with them around 17 as to me they starting getting a bit too 'serious'. The Marvel comicbook universe has changed far too much for me, but hear good things about a lot of short run graphic novels etc. So looking for ideas! (And not just Marvel)

@CL_Phantom
    Things that don't go to more than twelve issues: Watchmen, From Hell, Wolverine (Claremont and Miller), Ronin, The Dark Knight Returns, V for Vendetta, Sin City, Killing Joke, Marvels.

Longer stuff: Sandman - only the Neil Gaiman issues; Strangers in Paradise and, indeed, anything by Terry Moor, Preacher; Bone; Akira. Most of these can be got as reprinted collections of about eight to twelve issues at a time.
    Lovely stuff, a nice little reading list I've got planned now thanks to you two!
  • Options

A thread about graphic novels is not something I ever thought I'd see on charlton life. I'm a.marvel fan so other then number 1 marvel fills the list.
    1. Dark knight returns-a superb story the batman v superman as it should be not what we got on the big screen.
    2. Secret Wars (the original)- okay the story is ridiculous but I loves it the ultimate marvel good guy v bad guy story
    3. Ultimate War - set in marvels now defunct Ultimate Universe this was all out war between the X men and the ultimate (the avengers)
    4. Death of Captain Marvel even superheroes can die and remain dead cancer beating the great man
    5. Marvels- the tale of superheroes though the ages from a bystanders point of view.

Also watching with interest.

Only ever been a massive Marvel fanboy from about 6 years old when buying one of the British re-prints by mistake, fell out of love with them around 17 as to me they starting getting a bit too 'serious'. The Marvel comicbook universe has changed far too much for me, but hear good things about a lot of short run graphic novels etc. So looking for ideas! (And not just Marvel)

@CL_Phantom
    Things that don't go to more than twelve issues: Watchmen, From Hell, Wolverine (Claremont and Miller), Ronin, The Dark Knight Returns, V for Vendetta, Sin City, Killing Joke, Marvels.

Longer stuff: Sandman - only the Neil Gaiman issues; Strangers in Paradise and, indeed, anything by Terry Moor, Preacher; Bone; Akira. Most of these can be got as reprinted collections of about eight to twelve issues at a time.
    Lovely stuff, a nice little reading list I've got planned now thanks to you two!
    You're welcome. I'd be interested to hear your thoughts on whatever you read.
  • Options
    As a kid in the 60s I used to get loads of kids comics (the British ones) because my dad worked in the print and he’d collect them on his way home for me. The American super hero ones of course were the glamour ones as far as we were concerned. I used to buy one every week when we’d leave Saturday morning pictures at the Roxy . I had loads, which I think my mum gave away in later years after I’d left home. Somehow a box of old Commando ones survived though and I’ve still got them stored away.
  • Options
    Oor Wullie, The Dandy and The Beano.
  • Options
    Charley's War.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    hawksmoor said:

Charley's War.

Described by some as the greatest British comic strip, ever. My Grandad volunteered in 1916 aged 16, just like Charley, and what he experienced in France damaged him for most of the rest of his life.
  • Options
    A couple of possibly obscure ones I loved from the late 80s were Dragon's Claws and Death's Head, both just in series of 10 I think. Don't have them anymore but would love to read them again.
  • Options

hawksmoor said:

Charley's War.

Described by some as the greatest British comic strip, ever. My Grandad volunteered in 1916 aged 16, just like Charley, and what he experienced in France damaged him for most of the rest of his life.
    They're reissuing Charley's War in a shiny new 3 volume definitive edition this year. I will be treating myself!
  • Options

A couple of possibly obscure ones I loved from the late 80s were Dragon's Claws and Death's Head, both just in series of 10 I think. Don't have them anymore but would love to read them again.

@CharltonMadrid Any information about them you can share? Storylines? UK/US/other?
  • Options

@CharltonMadrid Any information about them you can share? Storylines? UK/US/other?
    Was able to find this and remembered how much I loved it!

http://www.denofgeek.com/books-comics/dragons-claws/27380/revisiting-marvels-dragons-claws
  • Options
    edited May 2018
    I've heard that there is a director's cut of Watchmen which is longer and better - will have to try to seek it out if it exists!

The opening credits are my favourite from any film - full stop!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JrcO8AQDgSk
  • Options
    I loved the early 2000AD stuff as a kid, and grew up (thanks to a subscription from an uncle in Canada) reading the Trigan Empire stories in Look and Learn.

As an adult, I've really enjoyed some of the Star Wars stuff, Maus, Violent Cases, Watchmen and Spawn - to say nothing of World War Robot, which is both sparse and beautifully drawn.
  • Options
    Maus and the sequel should be a compulsary read for everybody.