Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Laptop advice please

I was wondering if somebody may be able to advise on a problem I am having. I have an old laptop which has a broken display. It has some useful old work I have done as Pdfs, JPEGs etc. I thought a good way to access these old files was to buy a hard drive converter. I have done this and put the hard drive into the container and plugged it into my laptop via a USB port. It is showing as a new drive and is the right size in terms of space used and total size, but I can't find my old files anywhere.

Is it to do with security - I had a password to get into my previous laptop or am I missing something obvious. The drive doesn't seem to be damaged.

Grateful for any advice or tips.

Comments

• Have you transferred the files onto the new drive?
  • edited June 2018
    No, I can't find the files. It has the programme files etc... but not my PDfs although I know they are on the drive somewhere. I was thinking about copying and pasting the whole of the drive into a blank folder - about 190GBs.

I did assume I would be able to use the old drive as a secondary drive and keep the files on it! Clearly wrong on that score as I am sure the drive is not damaged.
  • Tried copying - I think the issue is around permissions - not sure how to solve it though.
  • If you know one of the PDF file names, do a search for it and that may show where others are kept too?
  • edited June 2018
    Can you see the Users folder on the root of your old HD?
  • All your files might be in a separate folder under users/your username. It's how windows files things for different users logged on to the same PC, even when there's only one user.
  • Yes I think you are right, I am trying to change the permissions to my user name on my new laptop - waiting to see if it works.
  • Sorted - it was about permissions - I right clicked on the new (old drive) and changed to the admin details for my current laptop and it worked - thanks for your help.