Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

‘The Bromley Boys’ film

Any one else been to see it?
Pretty good little film with a few familiar faces, all about the Bromley F.C. side in the 70s!

Very apt and ‘familiar’ to how many Charlton fans see our clubs problems etc , add to that the World Cup factor and it it’s a real relatable story!

Comments

• Wanted to but very limited release sadly
  • Not being shown in my local area unfortunately.....most frustrating.
  • Advertised everywhere, shown no where. :disappointed:
  • Perhaps one for the Museum event at this year’s Charlton & Woolwich Free Film Festival @Henry Irving @SE7toSG3 ? Show at the White Swan as per last year and the Jimmy Seed film?
  • Its showing at the Odeon in Beckenham, granted its Palace territory but not to far just the same. Taking my dad for his 70th on Wednesday but at the moment Wednesday seems to be only day its on this week.
  • I enjoyed it. There was quite a lot of fiction added to the factual story in the book, but it made the film all the more dramatic. All in all it was an affectionate look at genuine fans of non-league football.
  • Tom_Hovi said:

Perhaps one for the Museum event at this year’s Charlton & Woolwich Free Film Festival @Henry Irving @SE7toSG3 ? Show at the White Swan as per last year and the Jimmy Seed film?

Not really local to Charlton or Woolwich or connected to the museum but if we can get a licence, why not.
  • Tom_Hovi said:

Perhaps one for the Museum event at this year’s Charlton & Woolwich Free Film Festival @Henry Irving @SE7toSG3 ? Show at the White Swan as per last year and the Jimmy Seed film?

Not really local to Charlton or Woolwich or connected to the museum but if we can get a licence, why not.
    PM me Henry. My mate produced the film!
  • I see the film got a decent two-thirds page write up in the latest (July/August !) edition of ‘When Saturday Comes’, which landed on the doormat this morning.
  • Haven't seen the film.

Went to watch Bromley FC a number of times in the late '60's and early '70's, the period the film is set. Standard of football was noticeably poor (even in my eyes then) and far worse than Conference level now, and, as a result I found the games uninteresting and stopped going. I guess attendances 150-250 at the most.

Strange thing is Eddie Firmani took the job of manager at Bromley in 1970-1971 though he was there for only a couple of months. Suerly he could have done better?
  • Sponsored links:

• Went to see it at Greenwich Picturehouse a few weeks back. Obviously biased as a Bromley boy, but absolutely loved it. Very relatable and great to see some of the locations (Kelsey Park etc...) on the big screen.
    Roy Oliver steals the show in the film. Great character both in the movie and in real life and he was our next door neighbour when I was very young, so that's my claim to fame!
    There are a couple of showings at Beckenham and Orpington Odeon in the next couple of weeks, I believe, and the Churchill Theatre this week.
    It's also being shown for free in Church House Gardens behind the theatre as part of a festival later in the summer. Go and see it if you get the chance.
  • As a standalone film it is ok. Book by far is much better. I was disappointed in alot of the storyline that was added to the big screen.
  • Went to see it at Greenwich Picturehouse a few weeks back. Obviously biased as a Bromley boy, but absolutely loved it. Very relatable and great to see some of the locations (Kelsey Park etc...) on the big screen.
    Roy Oliver steals the show in the film. Great character both in the movie and in real life and he was our next door neighbour when I was very young, so that's my claim to fame!
    There are a couple of showings at Beckenham and Orpington Odeon in the next couple of weeks, I believe, and the Churchill Theatre this week.
    It's also being shown for free in Church House Gardens behind the theatre as part of a festival later in the summer. Go and see it if you get the chance.

I know a Roy who played centre mid and was captain of Bromley back in probably the 70's. Haven't seen the film but wonder if its the same Roy you have mentioned?? Was Roy Oliver skipper / centre mid??
  • Markg2004 said:

As a standalone film it is ok. Book by far is much better. I was disappointed in alot of the storyline that was added to the big screen.

If the film had faithfully followed the reality of the book it would have been a bit of an anti-climax ending except for true afficionados.

• Film being shown on the Sky Premiere movie channel each day at various times this week.
  • what a load of shit
  • No, really.  It is. 
  • dallas said:
    what a load of shit
    Yup. Shocking. Like Adrian Mole with football. 
  • the book is better than the film 
  • Enjoyed the book as it was based on 69/70 season which was just after I started going to Charlton and also Bromley now and then as well. Not that impressed with the film though as didn't really follow the book.
  • Sponsored links:

• TN15 said:
    Enjoyed the book as it was based on 69/70 season which was just after I started going to Charlton and also Bromley now and then as well. Not that impressed with the film though as didn't really follow the book.
    Yeah, thought the director took his "artistic licence" a bit too far with the man eating lion rampaging through The Glades.....

The Glades weren't even around in the late 60s, early 70s ffs
  • Really poor.
  • Loved it - great bit of escapism. 
  • Was much of it filmed in / around Bromley?
    I'll admit I was nodding off.....but only really recognised the car park of the Tally Ho pub - although I think this scene was actually meant to be set in Wycome ?!?
  • Currently showing on Sky.

Not the greatest tbh but nice seeing it all played out at Crockenhill FC
  • Currently showing on Sky.

Not the greatest tbh but nice seeing it all played out at Crockenhill FC
    My mate produced it.  Charming but a little naff!
  • Sadly Dave Roberts has passed away.
  • edited November 2021
    Sadly Dave Roberts has passed away.
    Oh really!
    When was that FOD?
    He was living in NZ last I heard.

• Sadly Dave Roberts has passed away.
    Oh really!
    When was that FOD?
    He was living in NZ last I heard.

Last night, sadly. Dave was diagnosed with cancer fairly recently. 
  • Oh that’s awful. RIP.