Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Lyle Taylor - signed for Cambridge (p268)

Comments

• edited August 2019
    Would be gutted to see him go but would rather he stayed a season more and went for zip, than £4m now and lose our talisman. 
    Great player and bloke.
    Who knows; maybe we’ll have a new owner who’ll match the Brentford contract...or a higher standard of football to offer him in 12mths. 
  • edited August 2019
    I have no problem sticking to a budget; football has lost the plot completely and the EFL is at fault for that.  It is one of the few things I agree with RD on.  

I never thought Lyle would leave in the last window, I fully expect him to do so in January if he has got 7-8 goals or more. Bowyer won’t want him walking for free and nor will the owner.  Lyle will be able to command a good wage from a club desperate for goals to stay up or go up.  He will also be wary of running his contract down, picking up a bad injury and never getting a pay day at all (albeit this may well be a risk he would take given he ran it down at AFCW).  

If we can get £4M for him then and replace with someone of Toney’s quality that may not be the worst bit of business depending on how our season is looking at that point.

Lyles behaviour has been exemplary throughout as would be expected by a true professional and all round good egg.
  • also gives him an incentive - play your socks off as you always have and if a offer comes in well accept it and we will also offer you an improved contract.

he was off on twitter last night sharing a photo of his stats. 
  • Can someone change the thread title?
  • Scoham said:
    Nice of Lee to tell us that we can’t criticise the owner. 

Im not expecting him to slag him off.....but just state the facts and leave out the emotive stuff. 
    How many of us seriously thought RD would turn down such an offer? Lee probably didn't either and perhaps he is also trying to convey a message to RD - that he hopes that he will do the same come January when, no doubt, more bids will be forthcoming. He also isn't saying we can't criticise RD about anything just about not selling Taylor:

“If you look at the players he has brought in, he has backed us. We have been able to bring back Josh Cullen and I never thought that would be possible. [Beram] Kayal – I never thought we would get him through the door.

“With the young [loan] lads they are on good money at their clubs. The owner has backed us. To turn down £4million for Lyle, I can’t see how you can knock him. You can’t.

“I’ve said in other press bits that I have to thank him. I thank him for standing by me and keeping Lyle.

The real answer is that we don't know what his motives were. But Lee is too cute not to realise the implications of saying it and if we believe in what he has done to date then, perhaps, we should just continue to believe in the man and not specifically what he says. It hasn't done us too much harm doing so to date has it?
    If Robinson would have said that he would have been slaughtered. 
  • if according to bowyer the djiksteel money was for the toney signing, simply use some of it to bring in a back up striker and use some to offer lyle a better contract - load of bollocks me thinks. 
  • Sponsored links:

• if according to bowyer the djiksteel money was for the toney signing, simply use some of it to bring in a back up striker and use some to offer lyle a better contract - load of bollocks me thinks. 
    Guessing the problem is we have a wage structure and if you just spend some of the Djiksteel money on giving Lyle a £250k a year pay rise then what happens when everyone else kicks off?
    Guessing the problem is we have a wage structure and if you just spend some of the Djiksteel money on giving Lyle a £250k a year pay rise then what happens when everyone else kicks off?
    that's life, unfortunately. i wouldn't match what brentford were offering but i would make a sensible offer, yes money may sway lyle but if a concious effort was made to keep him, and he left for more money then it is what it is. what you cant expect is a player of his ability to play his socks off for 6k a week ( rumoured current wage ).
  • edited August 2019
    Scoham said:
    Nice of Lee to tell us that we can’t criticise the owner. 

Im not expecting him to slag him off.....but just state the facts and leave out the emotive stuff. 
    How many of us seriously thought RD would turn down such an offer? Lee probably didn't either and perhaps he is also trying to convey a message to RD - that he hopes that he will do the same come January when, no doubt, more bids will be forthcoming. He also isn't saying we can't criticise RD about anything just about not selling Taylor:

“If you look at the players he has brought in, he has backed us. We have been able to bring back Josh Cullen and I never thought that would be possible. [Beram] Kayal – I never thought we would get him through the door.

“With the young [loan] lads they are on good money at their clubs. The owner has backed us. To turn down £4million for Lyle, I can’t see how you can knock him. You can’t.

“I’ve said in other press bits that I have to thank him. I thank him for standing by me and keeping Lyle.

The real answer is that we don't know what his motives were. But Lee is too cute not to realise the implications of saying it and if we believe in what he has done to date then, perhaps, we should just continue to believe in the man and not specifically what he says. It hasn't done us too much harm doing so to date has it?
    If Robinson would have said that he would have been slaughtered. 
    Not at all. All Bowyer is talking about is Roland's specific actions in the last week over transfers, about keeping Lyle etc
  • Met up with a good friend of mine after the game on Saturday who is currently doing some scouting for Millwall and was at the game Saturday. He is very,very good friends with both Taylor and Deji. Taylor was promised a move once it got to certain level in terms of a bid, and the money offered to him from Brentford was totally life changing. Yes Taylor loves it at the club and has bought a place down by Bluewater, my mate knows that Taylor will just get on with his business for the remainder of the season and in the past where he has been a bit of hot head when he was younger may have dug his heals in more. 
  • edited August 2019
    Valley11 said:
    I wonder if Bowyer has challenged him to score a hatful between now and January then if a big money offer comes in they’ll accept it?
    Hope not. 
    I very much doubt we’ll get a big money offer in January, he’s out of contract six months later.
    All things are relative.
    If 10 clubs want Lyle in January, and no sign of Taylor's wages being around the 15k at Cafc, the auction effect will happen and 3 million may acquired his services, if 10 clubs want him why should it be less even if only 6 months left ?

IF Taylor stays to the end of Season and his fitness is still 100% after a good season in the Championship, he should garner the best contract of his life at 30: emulating Yann Kermorgant who's best contract at Bournemouth of 15k and 2 and a half years at 32 was a masterstroke by Eddie Howe. The stats of 64 apps and 24 goals was testament to a superb footballer who was part of the masterclass at the valley when Wilson, Pugh, Richie, Arter, Francis etc ran riot in their championship winning team. (At 34 he moved on to Reading)

If Taylor stays 2 seasons and then gets a Prem gig we should all be happy for him.
    1.3 million per annum and a 30 month contract shouldn't be too shabby or out of reach for Lyle Taylor Baby.

Enjoy Taylor, Cullen, Gallagher etc while we can.
  • I think we should offer him a decent contract with a release clause, say £4/5 million, then he is happier earning a bit more, and then sell in Jan if he is adamant on leaving and getting that even bigger contract ensuring the club get funds to replace. If only it was that simple. 
  • SexyDave said:
    I think we should offer him a decent contract with a release clause, say £4/5 million, then he is happier earning a bit more, and then sell in Jan if he is adamant on leaving and getting that even bigger contract ensuring the club get funds to replace. If only it was that simple. 
    Agree,  two year deal with a release clause means he can go in Jan and we have 4 months to source a replacement.  If people don't match our valuation then we get him for another year.
  • Sponsored links:

• He’ll get higher wages if new club get him free 
  • strikers like him are gold dust....just look at the stats he's been tweeting for 2019.

we simply won't replace him.

Pay him the £15k @ week or whatever he wants and give him a 2/3 year deal, it'll cost us a lot more in the long run if we don't

It’s as simple as that
  • whilst i agree with what others have said even if we offer him say 15k a week and another club like brentford come in at 25k a week would we keep him i doubt it, unfortunately it is the way football has gone - madness foreign investment and the general turning it into a sit at home spectator sports and all about sponsorship has ruined the game. 

look at the way zaha acted last week, although them cnuts deserve everything they get for the praise they were giving him its laughable. 
  • edited August 2019
    He’ll get higher wages if new club get him free 
    Exactly.  I'd be astonished if he signed a new deal.

If he gets double figures this season he'll get a move in the summer to one of the relegated premiership clubs or a club prepared to offer £20k a week with no transfer fee.  £20k a week is around £1m a year so after 2 season's he would be set for life.  If he backs himself to hit double figures then he's as good as gone.

The only way we could keep him now is if something drastically changes our finances ie promotion or a new owner willing to splash the cash
  • edited August 2019

we were about to spend £4m on Ivan Toney to play alongside him???......save the money and ramp up his contract

make him an offer he won't refuse

• £4m on Toney + wages and signing on etc.

Lyle £25k @ week on a 3 year deal, still saving money

• it speaks volumes when you have taylor on 6k a week and mitrovic on 70k a week i know one club is ex premier league and completely different skillsets but thats a huge difference nearly 3.5 million a year 

is taylor our highest paid player? 
  • whilst i agree with what others have said even if we offer him say 15k a week and another club like brentford come in at 25k a week would we keep him i doubt it, unfortunately it is the way football has gone - madness foreign investment and the general turning it into a sit at home spectator sports and all about sponsorship has ruined the game. 

look at the way zaha acted last week, although them cnuts deserve everything they get for the praise they were giving him its laughable. 
    I don’t think the game is ruined. Subjectively it’s better than it ever was.

I have no issue with players getting paid big bucks, for generations professional players got completely screwed by clubs, and provided they are fulfilling their contractual commitments - which the vast majority do - then I don’t see an issue. It’s part of the reason that I don’t have the issue with the idea of players having agents that most seem to.
  • we were about to spend £4m on Ivan Toney to play alongside him???......save the money and ramp up his contract

make him an offer he won't refuse

the only way we would have spent 4m on Toney would have been by selling Taylor
  • se9addick said:
    whilst i agree with what others have said even if we offer him say 15k a week and another club like brentford come in at 25k a week would we keep him i doubt it, unfortunately it is the way football has gone - madness foreign investment and the general turning it into a sit at home spectator sports and all about sponsorship has ruined the game. 

I don’t think the game is ruined. Subjectively it’s better than it ever was.

I have no issue with players getting paid big bucks, for generations professional players got completely screwed by clubs, and provided they are fulfilling their contractual commitments - which the vast majority do - then I don’t see an issue. It’s part of the reason that I don’t have the issue with the idea of players having agents that most seem to.
    so if taylor refused to train demanded to be sold to another club despite having a 4 year contract you would have no issue?