Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Lyle Taylor - signed for Cambridge (p268)

Comments

• 2 options for you (prices are just assumptions for arguments sake)

A. We keep Taylor all season but he leaves for free in the summer.

B. We sell Taylor for 5m and replace him with Toney 4.5m and Taylor (Bristol City) 500k.

Zero chance of selling for 5m when he only has 6 months left. We'd be lucky to get 1m at best. 
    I am not sure that will be the case. January is when silly money is paid, especially for strikers. If you are near the top or bottom it can make good sense to buy. At 30 he is not one for the future but the present.
  • To be fair if we sell him in January for over £4m then it was the right decision to turn down the money in the summer and with 6months left and 30 years old the right business decision to sell him in Jan.  should we have given him 3 years when he signed, in hindsight, yes, in truth, with his career to that point nothing pointed to him being this good.  People point to the Brentford and Bristol City models, well selling him in Jan for max value and replacing with a younger model is exactly that
  • Might be swap deal Roland for Mike 
    At least the Ex barrow boy will give Lyle Taylor a 20k, 7 year contact ! Similar to the dad dancer with the big hooter got from the man who puts the sports shirt on your back.
  • Here comes the media hype.

It's Lee Bowyer and coaches that have given Taylor that edge.

• Brentford have signed Nikos Karelis. Maybe no need for them to come in for Lyle in January now?
  • A struggling Prem outfit have money to chuck at the chance of survival. 
    Like Palace you mean.    

What a sick one that would be if he went there and kept them up.
  • Oggy Red said:
    Here comes the media hype.

It's Lee Bowyer and coaches that have given Taylor that edge.

Agreed... He's done well in Scotland (their Championship) and League Two scoring over 20-goals

But last season was by far his best one at League One level since getting promotion with Wimbledon
  • A struggling Prem outfit have money to chuck at the chance of survival. 
    Like Palace you mean.    

What a sick one that would be if he went there and kept them up.
    Oh god, please no!
  • Sponsored links:

• Such a shame :(
  • New owners might mean we can keep him from going...

That involves someone buying us or Roland being hit by a black cab and someone with sense just flogging the club to be rid of an increasing cost.
  • The summer was the time to offer a stinking contract just after wembley
  • I mean, how the hell do you replace a striker like Taylor. What he means to the fans, his attitude on and off the pitch, his all round team play. Oh, and 20 goals a season. 
  • edited August 2019
    I mean, how the hell do you replace a striker like Taylor. What he means to the fans, his attitude on and off the pitch, his all round team play. Oh, and 20 goals a season. 
    You can't replace all that Taylor brings, so unless we stick a fat wedge of cash in his pocket, he'll go. 

£15-20k a week would keep him and IMO would not be excessive at all. Roland shan't do it though. 
  • It'll be another Kermogant, he will leave and help someone else get promoted. Hopefully Roland has learned that lesson..... 
  • edited August 2019
    Roland learn a lesson? How does someone who knows all learn anything?
  • There'll be plenty of desperate/ambitious clubs that will pay a large transfer fee for a prolific striker in January. The idea that teams won't pay more than £1m for a player that would make such a difference to their season is ridiculous. 
  • There'll be plenty of desperate/ambitious clubs that will pay a large transfer fee for a prolific striker in January. The idea that teams won't pay more than £1m for a player that would make such a difference to their season is ridiculous. 
    I agree that this applies to most clubs but we always seem to have our pants pulled down with transfer fees so I'd be surprised if we get anywhere near what Taylor is worth in Jan. 
  • Dazzler21 said:
    I mean, how the hell do you replace a striker like Taylor. What he means to the fans, his attitude on and off the pitch, his all round team play. Oh, and 20 goals a season. 
    You can't replace all that Taylor brings, so unless we stick a fat wedge of cash in his pocket, he'll go. 

£15-20k a week would keep him and IMO would not be excessive at all. Roland shan't do it though. 
    In principle you're right.... as one player alone he is worth it. The problem is when all the other players in the team who have also made strong contributions also want a pay rise when they see what LT is on. The issue is the overall structure pay wise - but without seeing our finances in detail and income - I couldnt say whether we can sustain a pay structure that includes players on £20k a week.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited August 2019
    Why doesn’t Lyle sign an improved 3 year deal, with a minimum release clause of 10 million, sounds high for someone of his age, but if he keeps performing well, he’s well worth it, everyone’s a winner!

We all know the alternative, a poorly handled bit of business, player leaves on the cheap / free, ramps up the pressure again on the owner, and round we go again, cmon Roland I know you’re a big big fan of Charlton Life ( you’ve quoted it so many times) show a bit of forward thinking and intelligence with your 2 per cent of time dedicated to us! 

If we’re worried about breaking our wage structure, then give him a good rise, with a stonking bonus based on goals scored.
  • Toney will replace lyle
    Toney a totally different player to Lyle, couldn't do the hold-up work that Lyle can.
  • Toney will replace lyle
    Toney a totally different player to Lyle, couldn't do the hold-up work that Lyle can.
    Can Hemed do that?

i.e. It'll be impossible to get one player to do all that Lyle can do, instead if we can have two players that share what he can do
  • Lyle is an exceptional player and I've loved watching him play - find it hard to believe he hasn't played at a higher level. Not phased by the Championship and has to be attracting attention.

Contributes all over the pitch.
  • 2 options for you (prices are just assumptions for arguments sake)

A. We keep Taylor all season but he leaves for free in the summer.

B. We sell Taylor for 5m and replace him with Toney 4.5m and Taylor (Bristol City) 500k.

C. Roland trousers the fee as we have the Brighton guy!
  • I love what Bowyer is doing. Talking Lyle up to get the best out of him. Also knows that he is not going to sign another contract (like he has done at his prev clubs) and putting it out there to encourage a transfer fee. On a footballing decision if Taylor goes for £4m or more and we are in a position where we don't look like we are going to go up or down he can use some of that money. Hasn't the Peterborough guy only one 1yr left on his contract so he could go back for him. Worse case scenario we have Hemed. £4 mill for a 30yr old? 

• Disappointed in 2 idiots ruining it for everyone today. So disrespectful! I take so much time to sign things and take pictures with fans and a pair of idiots ruined it for everyone. I shouldn’t have to take to social media to ask for some respect, but I feel I do.

So I’d kindly ask that people respect me enough not to come to my house, or wait outside my house asking for pictures and autographs. And I request that on a match day, people wait, I will get round everyone! All of the players always do!

We know, understand and accept that the fan base is the life and soul of the football club, but to be called a tart when someone stamps on your foot pushing past security having been asked to wait is disrespectful. And I don’t disrespect any Charlton fan!
  • Wonder what happened