Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Lyle Taylor - signed for Cambridge (p268)

Comments

• edited September 2019
    quoted in one of today's papers;

" who knows where the story ends, but i dont think it's here, nothing changed for me its another challenge "

the transfer window is closed so any chance these journalists can bore off with this crap, until the window opens again. 

I am of the opinion that we will offer him a new deal ( which wont be as good as other clubs ) he will then leave and it will be a case of oh hes greedy etc. 

someone of lyles age i get, aribo on the other hand its up to him after yesterdays performance in the only matches anyone bothers to watch - he wont be going to the premier league anytime soon and i stick by its a backwards move. 

I'm a bit disappointed in that... Not sure why you'd say that to the papers, though it can be read two ways.

1. Won't finish career at Charlton
    2. Championship won't be the height of his fairy tale.
  • On the flip side of the argument before he come to Charlton he was very much unheard of and been pumping around the lower leagues, I would hope we make him an improved contract offer and very much it’s down to him - he knows we aren’t going to be Able to compete with other clubs, but I think Charlton fans adore him and he won’t get that at other clubs, of course there is a chance that dickhead that owns us just doesn’t offer him a new contract. As I said before if it came down to say us offering 12k a week and another team 14k a week I would be very disappointed. 
  • I hope we do offer him a reasonable championship salary
  • Dazzler21 said:
    I hope we do offer him a reasonable championship salary
    I can't see it. I just can't see us offering a good salary and leaving our other permanent players on much less. I think he will go for 2 mil in January. 
  • edited September 2019
    I’m just going to enjoy the ride we’re on at the moment, we haven’t had too many great times in the last 15 years (apart from the people’s cup).

Worrying about things that might, or might not happen is energy sapping to say the least, and sucks the joy out of football.
  • He's turned into the type of Talisman not seen since a certain Mr Kermorgant got sold shortly after RD arrived.

Sadly I can see his time in SE7 coming to an end in January, it doesn't appear we are going to offer him anywhere near the size of contract he will be offered elsewhere (or deserves) and at 30 before this season is out if someone is substantially going to increase his income on a 3 year deal I don't see him declining it nor RD not accepting a bid knowing he can walk in the summer on a bosman.

The best i'm hoping fo right now is Bowyer works his magic and persuades RD to not sell him in January. We can but hope.

Despite the issues over recent weeks re his transfer you can't say he's not 100% committed in games around that time or since.
  • WSS said:
    quoted in one of today's papers;

" who knows where the story ends, but i dont think it's here, nothing changed for me its another challenge "

the transfer window is closed so any chance these journalists can bore off with this crap, until the window opens again. 

I am of the opinion that we will offer him a new deal ( which wont be as good as other clubs ) he will then leave and it will be a case of oh hes greedy etc. 

someone of lyles age i get, aribo on the other hand its up to him after yesterdays performance in the only matches anyone bothers to watch - he wont be going to the premier league anytime soon and i stick by its a backwards move. 

I don’t think he means “here” as in “at Charlton”. Not deliberately anyway.

He’s talking about his own career and his development.

Let’s see what happens.
    Agree. He means his career won’t end at Championship level, IMO.
  • Sponsored links:

• The thing about Lyle leaving is that I am confident Bow and Gallen will have a plan B, C, D etc. in place just in case plan A falls through and we don’t get Lyle to sign a new contract.

A lot will depend on what position we are in when January comes around.

- Lyle might wanna give it until the end of the season if we are challenging.
    - Being higher in the table would allow us to go after a better calibre of player should Lyle decide to leave.
    - We shouldn’t forget that Hemed will be a quality striker for us with a run of games.
    - We would have to invest some of the Lyle money in someone who could challenge Leko for his starting spot.
  • If Lyle is as smart as he seems, he'll see Anfernee & Karlan and realise that at the end of this season if we're not under new ownership OR promoted he can go to whoever he chooses just like at Wimbledon.
  • Don’t worry lads come January and we’re six points clear at the top. Roland will be creaming his pants thinking how much he’ll be able to sell us for in the premier league. He’ll be splashing cash all over the place to cement our promotion. 
  • He is 30 and has spent his career at lower levels than he is now. Nobody can begrudge him trying to get a big payday guaranteed in his pocket if the chance is there given that. If he was offered a better deal from us, and we are challenging in January, then he does have a decision to make. Of course, the club doesn't have to sell in January which might take the decision out of his hands. If we got promoted, he would be best staying of course. 

Anyway, he has been brilliant for us and owes us nothing - I wish him well whatever he does. My advice would be to focus on his football and be open to what is happening around him, which he doesn't seem to need as that is what he seems to be doing. 
  • He is 30, still improving and fitter than ever. Relies more on strength and guile than out and out pace. I'd say he has at least five years at peak left. 

Please, please give him a fair contract, Charlton!
  • On the flip side of the argument before he come to Charlton he was very much unheard of and been pumping around the lower leagues, I would hope we make him an improved contract offer and very much it’s down to him - he knows we aren’t going to be Able to compete with other clubs, but I think Charlton fans adore him and he won’t get that at other clubs, of course there is a chance that dickhead that owns us just doesn’t offer him a new contract. As I said before if it came down to say us offering 12k a week and another team 14k a week I would be very disappointed. 
    It’s not just £12K v £14K a week though, it’s also the term of the contract (plus additional bonuses for goals/appearances etc).

I doubt the total contract value that we could offer would be commensurate with, say, Brentford.
  • Not Fact............Theres a thousand sunday league players and semi pros like him.

They have a good season, they leave their mates and then try and push on, he was given something with Bows, a belief, a meaning, he loves it, the fact Pratley can slap him round the head, the attention he gets inside and outside the ground and on social media.

Most players can only dream of Pratley slapping them around the head  ;)
  • se9addick said:
    On the flip side of the argument before he come to Charlton he was very much unheard of and been pumping around the lower leagues, I would hope we make him an improved contract offer and very much it’s down to him - he knows we aren’t going to be Able to compete with other clubs, but I think Charlton fans adore him and he won’t get that at other clubs, of course there is a chance that dickhead that owns us just doesn’t offer him a new contract. As I said before if it came down to say us offering 12k a week and another team 14k a week I would be very disappointed. 
    It’s not just £12K v £14K a week though, it’s also the term of the contract (plus additional bonuses for goals/appearances etc).

I doubt the total contract value that we could offer would be commensurate with, say, Brentford.
    That was very much just an example and meant as if the contracts were pretty close say 5/10% of course I know there is lot more that goes into it, just I would be disappointed if it came to a small amount as Williams has proved money isn’t everything. 
  • Sponsored links:

• If you were Taylor, would you leave in January?

I think I would see the last 5 months of my contract out and look for a big signing on fee and a three year deal.

What would Bows want? I guess it depends where we are in the league. Just safe, safe, or pushing for top six. If the latter not on he will want to move him on for as big a fee as possible.
  • se9addick said:
    On the flip side of the argument before he come to Charlton he was very much unheard of and been pumping around the lower leagues, I would hope we make him an improved contract offer and very much it’s down to him - he knows we aren’t going to be Able to compete with other clubs, but I think Charlton fans adore him and he won’t get that at other clubs, of course there is a chance that dickhead that owns us just doesn’t offer him a new contract. As I said before if it came down to say us offering 12k a week and another team 14k a week I would be very disappointed. 

That was very much just an example and meant as if the contracts were pretty close say 5/10% of course I know there is lot more that goes into it, just I would be disappointed if it came to a small amount as Williams has proved money isn’t everything. 
    At this stage in his career, money really should be everything to Taylor. 
  • Smash in 30 goals this season and either get a decent deal with us or walk for a pay day 
  • Not Fact............Theres a thousand sunday league players and semi pros like him.

They have a good season, they leave their mates and then try and push on, he was given something with Bows, a belief, a meaning, he loves it, the fact Pratley can slap him round the head, the attention he gets inside and outside the ground and on social media.

Most players can only dream of Pratley slapping them around the head  ;)
    Normally you have to be an opponent to get slapped around by Pratley - and you would have the bruises to prove it. :smile:

• Been watching this feature of newsround with my primary aged class.

He’s such a great role model for all around.

We do an awful lot in schools about educating children to do with this and they’re so receptive to it. He’s 100% right when he says children aren’t born racist.

Unfortunately we can’t police what they’re taught at home which is where so much of it seems to stem from. We just have to hope the kids educate the adults.
  • A fantastic ambassador for the club, immensely likeable, measured and clearly cares a lot outside of the game a seen by his many charitable stints. Definitely one of my most favourite players over the past 40 odd years of support. 
  • Whatever he does, good luck to him. I hope he stays of course and we reward him for what he has done for us. He owes us absolutely nothing. Absolutely nothing.