Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Lyle Taylor - signed for Cambridge (p268)

Comments

• Tbh I’d say Lyle knows exactly what’s out there on offer already and knows he can do better, so I guess we all move on. 
  • Think he will run down his contract again.
    Need to wake up and let it sink in 1st. Great start to the day

• What a joke. I hope or salary offer was a good one. If not, why not?
  • Scoham said:
    https://www.londonnewsonline.co.uk/east-street-investments-withdraw-lucrative-contract-offer-to-lyle-taylor-and-set-to-listen-to-offers-for-charlton-athletic-striker/

Taylor hasn’t responded to ESIs offer by the deadline they gave, so we’ll be listening to offers - though he’s not on the transfer list.
    If this is the case we need to draw a line and move on quick, get him out and get someone in, a demotivated Taylor is no good in a relegation battle. 
  • Taylor IMO has done enough for a decent 3 year deal, he’s a proven goal scorer and doesn’t rely on his pace (get a quick one alongside him). He must be an absolute nightmare to mark.

also don’t underestimate his effect on the club/fans he’s had since being here, he’s a real talisman...losing him would be akin to Yann going  

would be a huge mistake to let him go IMO. I hope he signs a long term deal along with the management team...now that would be a real statement of intent

I disagree partially

We should not be offering a 29yr old a 3 yr deal 

It is not a huge mistake to let go someone who is not as commited as he should be to staying here, and The comparison with Yann is also wrong as Lyle has not refused to play in a competive match like Yann did

And it was a massive mistake not to pay Yann his worth as this will be now 
    you can’t buy his like without a load of luck for less than a few million 
    Without knowing the offer it's impossible to know if it's a mistake or not! What if this is not about money but Taylor just wants a stab at the Prem? Something we simply can't offer.
  • Big fan of that. Wanted us to keep Taylor but he’s clearly got no interest in staying with the club. 
  • So ESI don’t own the training ground yet?
  • Sponsored links:

• Taylor IMO has done enough for a decent 3 year deal, he’s a proven goal scorer and doesn’t rely on his pace (get a quick one alongside him). He must be an absolute nightmare to mark.

also don’t underestimate his effect on the club/fans he’s had since being here, he’s a real talisman...losing him would be akin to Yann going  

would be a huge mistake to let him go IMO. I hope he signs a long term deal along with the management team...now that would be a real statement of intent

I disagree partially

We should not be offering a 29yr old a 3 yr deal 

It is not a huge mistake to let go someone who is not as commited as he should be to staying here, and The comparison with Yann is also wrong as Lyle has not refused to play in a competive match like Yann did

If he was 30 I'd agree with you. But his contract would expire when he's 32. And he'd likely be in good condition until then. 
  • So how long did he have to look at the offer the few days they’ve owned the club or before that ? 
    ESI and Lyle are playing with fire here ... 
    can see it from both points of view ESI need to know where they stand cos they don’t want him leaving last minute.com and Lyle wants to see what’s out there so he can maximise his earnings .

Good question. We keep hearing thst ESI have only just got through the door, so when did they make Lyle this offer?
  • This is bad news - unless we are in for Toney and thinking more long term ???
  • Maybe this is all part of the negotiation - we need things sorted ASAP, taylor probably knows the closer to transfer deadline we get, the higher the offers may be - we can’t let it drag on that’s for sure without a plan b
  • Read somewhere yesterday that the Brentford manager is happy with the strikers hes got including the new lad so is probably not going to sign another one. Reckon Lyles off to Rangers,more money,still a big fish and european football.
  • Honestly if it is as it seems and Lyle is dicking about and leaving the club in the dark then I am a fan of them removing the offer. No player bigger than the club and all that. 

As long as we replace him which we can if the investment is there then I wish him luck and thanks for the memories.
  • edited January 2020
    Do think it's pretty poor that he did not at least respond to the contract offer. 

I would guess, even though by the sounds of things we offered him good money, he probably has offers from teams that might be challenging for Premier League football so could see why he would want to leave.

Just because he wants to leave, and might be running his contract down, does not mean he will sulk around not do a job for us to the end of the season. 
    He did respond according to Cawley, 

• Oh well. Bye bye Lyle. Thanks for the memories. 
  • Sponsored links:

• What a joke. I hope or salary offer was a good one. If not, why not?
    I was told weeks ago that Lyle was offered 16k per week on a take it or leave it offer.
    It would appear he has decided to leave it.
    We move on.
  • Ah well that clears that then, fair enough. I hope our fan base now don't start acting out towards him like emotional teens. Great player, huge part of why we got promoted and not a bad bloke either. 

For his sake though I hope it's not another Ricky Holmes situation. He's undoubtedly had his best season with us, similar to how Ricky did and well, we know the rest. Making the comparison cause of the age and how recent
  • We all appreciate Taylor and what he has done for Charlton. 

BUT we need players who want to play for Charlton, simple as that. Unless results improve then the dedication from players is important. 

Cheers Lyle.  
  • Let him walk for fk all in the summer, still needs to prove hes worthy of a bigger club... after all it's how we signed him. 
  • edited January 2020
    If he's turned this down we could do with moving him on and getting a replacement in as early as possible. I'm sick of Charlton losing their best players right at the end of the window. Clearly never as clear cut as that though.