Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

It's Coming Home videos

Comments

• Options
    @JessieAddick @SDAddick
    Opinion from overseas?
  • Options
    The Shawshank Redemption is another goodun
  • Options

David Beckham says it so it must be true

Is he referring to the football, or is posh on her way back from a night out!
  • Options
    Turned that off after 10 seconds . What an annoying twat.
  • Options
    I skipped the intro
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    When I watched that, it offered this as the next thing to watch:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0CCg-2V_bFE

3:06 in, there's a simply amazing catch by the ballgirl.
  • Options

When I watched that, it offered this as the next thing to watch:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0CCg-2V_bFE

3:06 in, there's a simply amazing catch by the ballgirl.
    Is rounders coming home as well then?
  • Options

Turned that off after 10 seconds . What an annoying twat.
    "Annoying twat" - "Youtube celebrity" = interchangeable phrases.
  • Options
    I quite like the bloke
  • Options

I'm with the OP.

surely "its coming home" was about Euro 96 when the tournament was being held in England and therefore "was coming home".

Just typical newbies......been watching football for 5 mins & now think they own it.

I'm with the OP.

surely "its coming home" was about Euro 96 when the tournament was being held in England and therefore "was coming home".

Just typical newbies......been watching football for 5 mins & now think they own it.

Nah - the lyrics mean that the World Cup trophy is coming home to England, the land that invented the game. The version they released for France '98 confirms my interpretation.

I don't support England but these videos are brilliant and I really like this England team and manager who are far more likeable than any of the previous "Golden Generation" nonsense. I hope England go all the way and, if they do, it'll be a party like no other!
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    se9addick said:

I'm with the OP.

I'm with the OP.

Nah - the lyrics mean that the World Cup trophy is coming home to England, the land that invented the game. The version they released for France '98 confirms my interpretation.

I don't support England but these videos are brilliant and I really like this England team and manager who are far more likeable than any of the previous "Golden Generation" nonsense. I hope England go all the way and, if they do, it'll be a party like no other!
    Completely disagree, The original version was about football in general, not about winning the trophy.
    The release for France '98 (and other releases) were just a cash in with a good song that people enjoy like most tournament football songs throughout history. I remember Scotland releasing tournament songs about how they were gonna win everything!

The latest use is wide open in interpretation and means different things to different people. It just being about winning the trophy is a very simplistic interpretation that I'm sure many do adhere to this time around. But for me and many others I have spoken to, it isn't about winning, we haven't and still don't expect to win. I don't believe the majority of people enjoying the phrase have actually believed we will win it. It's more about getting back a feel good factor, some pride, and actually having some hope for now and the future. They are what's coming home.
    The phrase "it's coming home" has become a uniting phrase that fans can get behind, whilst at the same time having individual meanings.

And don't forget football songs/chants very rarely have a basis in reality. "We're by far the greatest team the world has ever seen"? Yeah ok.
  • Options
    edited July 2018

DRAddick said:

se9addick said:

I'm with the OP.

I'm with the OP.

Completely disagree, The original version was about football in general, not about winning the trophy.
    The release for France '98 (and other releases) were just a cash in with a good song that people enjoy like most tournament football songs throughout history. I rfemember Scotland releasing tournament songs about how they were gonna win everything!

The latest use is wide open in interpretation and means different things to different people. It just being about winning the trophy is a very simplistic interpretation that I'm sure many do adhere to this time around. But for me and many others I have spoken to, it isn't about winning, we haven't and still don't expect to win. I don't believe the majority of people enjoying the phrase have actually believed we will win it. It's more about getting back a feel good factor, some pride, and actually having some hope for now and the future. There are what's coming home.
    The phrase "it's coming home" has become a uniting phrase that fans can get behind, whilst at the same time having individual meanings.

And don't forget football songs/chants very rarely have a basis in reality. "We're by far the greatest team the world has ever seen"? Yeah ok.
    But the lyric "football's coming home" is 100% about the trophy coming "home" to the birthplace of football
    Surely it is about football in general? As suggested by the word football being used. If it was about the trophy then it would be completely wrong as the trophies origins aren't English. Modern football's origins in general are.
  • Options
    DRAddick said:

DRAddick said:

se9addick said:

I'm with the OP.

I'm with the OP.

The release for France '98 (and other releases) were just a cash in with a good song that people enjoy like most tournament football songs throughout history. I rfemember Scotland releasing tournament songs about how they were gonna win everything!

The latest use is wide open in interpretation and means different things to different people. It just being about winning the trophy is a very simplistic interpretation that I'm sure many do adhere to this time around. But for me and many others I have spoken to, it isn't about winning, we haven't and still don't expect to win. I don't believe the majority of people enjoying the phrase have actually believed we will win it. It's more about getting back a feel good factor, some pride, and actually having some hope for now and the future. There are what's coming home.

But the lyric "football's coming home" is 100% about the trophy coming "home" to the birthplace of football
    Surely it is about football in general? As suggested by the word football being used. If it was about the trophy then it would be completely wrong as the trophies origins aren't English. Modern football's origins in general are.
    Why do they mention "30 years of hurt" - surely that's a direct reference to actually winning the thing?

I can't believe we're directing Three Lions like it's on the curriculum for GCSE English !
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    se9addick said:

DRAddick said:

DRAddick said:

se9addick said:

I'm with the OP.

I'm with the OP.

Why do they mention "30 years of hurt" - surely that's a direct reference to actually winning the thing?

I can't believe we're directing Three Lions like it's on the curriculum for GCSE English !
    Because we'd had sod all but misery for 30 years, and it fit nicely into the song. The song was released for the Euros but the 30 years was about the World cup. So not about a particular trophy.
    Far too intelligent for modern English exams.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    MrLargo said:

DRAddick said:

DRAddick said:

se9addick said:

I'm with the OP.

I'm with the OP.

So the lyric "30 years of hurt" is about the pain we've suffered not hosting a tournament for 30 years, rather than the pain of not winning a trophy for 30 years?! Leave off, can't believe this has actually developed into a conversation.
    Haha, it's what Charlton Life does best.
  • Options
    DRAddick said:

se9addick said:

DRAddick said:

DRAddick said:

se9addick said:

I'm with the OP.

I'm with the OP.

Because we'd had sod all but misery for 30 years, and it fit nicely into the song. The song was released for the Euros but the 30 years was about the World cup. So not about a particular trophy.
    Far too intelligent for modern English exams.
    Nah, again I disagree - England has made it to the World Cup semi's just six years before the song was originally released so it "30 years of hurt" can only refer to 30 years since they won the World Cup.
  • Options
    I spose it's up for interpretation and to me, it's celebrating the fact We invented the game and if We win it (WC or Euros), the trophy / football will be going home. But of course, we can't credit the British / English for anything, let alone inventing the game itself.

• Options
    edited July 2018
    Croydon said:

DRAddick said:

DRAddick said:

se9addick said:

I'm with the OP.

I'm with the OP.

Jesus wept. The song is about winning a trophy, hence the lyrics. Why would anyone release a song just to commemorate hosting the tournament?

Baffles me that people can't just enjoy a fucking world cup run without finding something to be miserable about.
    Baffles me that people can't just read a comment they don't agree with without assuming the other person is being miserable. Where have I remotely said anything negative about the song or the current football? Similar to not being able to say someone's had a bad game without others assuming they're being made a scapegoat. Some people just like/need things to be very simple it seems.
  • Options

I spose it's up for interpretation and to me, it's celebrating the fact We invented the game and if We win it (WC or Euros), the trophy / football will be going home. But of course, we can't credit the British / English for anything, let alone inventing the game itself.

Was with you until the last sentence - even @JessieAddick gives the English credit for inventing the game earlier in the thread!