Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

England v Croatia

Comments

• Love this article: "We stopped Messi so we can stop Kane"

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/44757912

I know their Manager goes on to say that we're a team with a lot of strengths but England / Argentina are two very different sides and dont see our World Cup revolving around Harry Kane, yes we're fucked if he were to be injured yet if they concentrate on him during the match thats fine with me as we're dangerous all over the pitch (unlike Argentina!!)

"Dangerous" but not exactly prolific (appearances - goals):

Maguire 10-1
    Stones 31 - 2
    Walker 39 - 0
    Young 38 - 7
    Henderson 43 - 0
    Trippier 11 - 0
    Alli 28 - 3
    Lingard 16 - 2
    Sterling 42 - 2

So that's 17 goals from 258 appearances (or 1 in every 15 games) for the other 9 outfield players as opposed to 19 goals from 28 appearances for Kane. So their manager probably isn't too far off the mark but is clearly mindful of the number of goals that we have scoredat this WC at set pieces.

By contrast, Croatia's vastly experienced side are not reliant on one player for their goals. Top scorer is Mandzukic with 31 (from 87) but their team as a whole has amassed 92 from 618 appearances - or 1 in every 7.
  • Sweden arguably stopped Kane! :)

At the cost of letting Sterling/Young/Trippier doing what they wanted
    I’ll take that
  • robroy said:

I was screaming at the TV when Sterling missed those chances, granted one was off side. However when you watch the replays of our games. They are putting 2-3 players on him and his running off the ball is great, he is making space for other players. So playing a very good role for the team.

There was no mention of the amount of times Ali gave the ball away because he scored a goal.

I would love to make the final and Sterling to score the winner, then turn round to all of the media and say I wont be doing any interviews as you have mad my life hell.

This 100%. I agree I was very frustrated at the time but he is playing for the team. Of course we may not have the luxury of him missing a golden chance and still winning so he will need to convert one but he is being marked so closely. Believe especially early in the tournament this helped Lingard find some space. When Sweden were watching Lingard and Kane so closely, it was Sterling who found a bit of space.

I think Alli has been one of our worst players, but like you said the second goal means people will ignore that.

Sterling does deserve some criticism as he is missing some outstanding chances, but I am with you that I hope he can shut a lot of people up.
  • JohnBoyUK said:

I think Alli has been one of our worst players, but like you said the second goal means people will ignore that.

It really hasn't gone unnoticed and I'm his biggest fan on here.

Started the Tunisia game like a house on fire for the first 20 mins and was the best player on the pitch. Picked up a knock, clearly didn't look right and hasn't looked right since.
    I will say one thing in his defence. He has never played from a deep laying midfield position at Spurs. Ever. All his best performances come when he is up behind Kane and he looks to get beyond him. When the ball goes wide left to Young, he always looks to turn back inside and it kills any space Alli has got to work in and several times Young, Alli and Lingard have been getting in each others way.

I really do think we would benefit hugely from having a naturally left-footed player on the left. As decent a job Young has done on the left, Rose (or another for that matter) staying wide would be occupying the opposing full back / wing back a lot more, creating more space for the likes of Alli and Lingard in the channels.
    Ryan Sessegnon will be a good option to try in that position

Depends how seriously we take the UEFA Nations League in September as we face Spain and Croatia in quick succession so could be a good opportunity to rest these World Cup players and use it like a second Toulon Tournament where we can test some other players
  • JohnBoyUK said:

Started the Tunisia game like a house on fire for the first 20 mins and was the best player on the pitch. Picked up a knock, clearly didn't look right and hasn't looked right since.
    I will say one thing in his defence. He has never played from a deep laying midfield position at Spurs. Ever. All his best performances come when he is up behind Kane and he looks to get beyond him. When the ball goes wide left to Young, he always looks to turn back inside and it kills any space Alli has got to work in and several times Young, Alli and Lingard have been getting in each others way.

I really do think we would benefit hugely from having a naturally left-footed player on the left. As decent a job Young has done on the left, Rose (or another for that matter) staying wide would be occupying the opposing full back / wing back a lot more, creating more space for the likes of Alli and Lingard in the channels.

Completely agree. Rose in for Young is the one change i would make, but Southgate obviously isn't going to change his side now unless there are injuries.
  • young's delivery from set pieces has been fantastic though.
  • Sponsored links:

• In no way should we change a winning formula. Keep it as it is.

Agree about Ali, first half he was crap saturday, but I'm glad he kept going and got rewarded for it.
  • Love people thinking they know better than the man who has taken us further than anyone else in the last 28 years.

28 YEARS

#InGarethWeTrust
  • For the coming home brigade to ponder:

IF Croatia were told at the beginning of the Tournament they would get England in a semi final they would've bitten your hand off.

I hope the story that Henderson has a tight hamstring is fake news because surely he only came off against Sweden because he was a booking away from missing this game and we were 2 up with minutes to play. Henderson has improved so much in the last year by not just being a water carrier.
    Massive loss if not fit.

Talking about the final before you win a semi final is crazy in any sport.

Croatia were superb in the group games now some English folk are saying they can't play is a giant LOL.

Pleased to see that Tutt Tutt thought Sterling should be replaced by Rashford in the last game. Rashford will be the man in this game.
    Be pro-active and make a change GS because as good as Raheem is at getting into goal scoring positions he has been firing blanks for so long now for the national side it's painful to watch. (Nearly 3 years and 22 games !)

Heskey scored a goal every 9 games for England.
    Sterling has scored a goal every 21 games for the national side.
    If he did more assists then fair enough but his best feature seems to be winning the odd free kick.
    I will support him if picked by Gareth for the match but it baffles me as an ex coach and manager at youth level.

PS. Raheem should be the sub who comes on with 20 minutes to go and runs at a tiring defence who have played a lot of minutes.

Heskey was a forward, Sterling is a midfielder.
  • JohnBoyUK said:

Yeah I am a big fan of Alli too in general.

Perhaps it has been the knock because I cannot disagree about that first 20 minutes against Tunisia. I agree he should be right up with Kane and I wouldn't have played both Sterling and Lingard up there with him.

I am usually of the mindset that you shouldn't change a winning team but I would consider dropping Sterling for Loftus-Cheek because of Croatia's strength in midfield.

Young has played better than I expected but I agree regarding Rose, but it won't happen.
  • JohnBoyUK said:

Yeah I am a big fan of Alli too in general.

Perhaps it has been the knock because I cannot disagree about that first 20 minutes against Tunisia. I agree he should be right up with Kane and I wouldn't have played both Sterling and Lingard up there with him.

I am usually of the mindset that you shouldn't change a winning team but I would consider dropping Sterling for Loftus-Cheek because of Croatia's strength in midfield.

Young has played better than I expected but I agree regarding Rose, but it won't happen.
    One of my best mates is a spurs season ticket holder.
    He said Ali is just doing his normal thing. Goes for long long periods where he does nothing in a game. Then pops up with an assist for Kane or scores one himself and everyone is singing his name at the end.
  • One of my best mates is a spurs season ticket holder.
    He said Ali is just doing his normal thing. Goes for long long periods where he does nothing in a game. Then pops up with an assist for Kane or scores one himself and everyone is singing his name at the end.

Other than his first season where he broke through, thats pretty much spot on. That first season he ran his absolute b*ll*cks off, chasing down every loose ball. He came back the season after with what looked like an attitude and has never put in the workrate since. Perhaps I'm being harsh on him but thats the way I see it and I've said that on here in the past. He does go missing for spells then pops up with the goods.
  • JohnBoy is obviously in the best position to judge Alli but I personally don't mind if he does little and then pops up with a great assist/goal. Every good team needs one of them as much as they need people to run their socks off for 90 minutes.
  • Sponsored links:

• WSS said:

Thought Sterling was great on Saturday, he ran their defence ragged with his movement, quite often won battles against bigger, stronger defenders. However, we had the luxury of a 2 goal lead so you could forgive him for his misses, he's got to start converting soon or else that might cost us the difference in a tight game. For me, still got to keep him in the team, think he posed so much danger in that last game.

Would absolutely love it if Sterling scores the winner in the final, and runs to the crowd to celebrate, takes his shirt off to reveal a t-shirt underneath saying 'British press f*ck you'
    And then a machine gun shooting celebration like Robbie Keane
    Bow and arrow, if I remember correctly. He may have had an MG celebration, too, but I didn't see it.

IF Croatia were told at the beginning of the Tournament they would get England in a semi final they would've bitten your hand off.

I hope the story that Henderson has a tight hamstring is fake news because surely he only came off against Sweden because he was a booking away from missing this game and we were 2 up with minutes to play. Henderson has improved so much in the last year by not just being a water carrier.
    Massive loss if not fit.

Croatia were superb in the group games now some English folk are saying they can't play is a giant LOL.

Pleased to see that Tutt Tutt thought Sterling should be replaced by Rashford in the last game. Rashford will be the man in this game.
    Be pro-active and make a change GS because as good as Raheem is at getting into goal scoring positions he has been firing blanks for so long now for the national side it's painful to watch. (Nearly 3 years and 22 games !)

If he did more assists then fair enough but his best feature seems to be winning the odd free kick.
    I will support him if picked by Gareth for the match but it baffles me as an ex coach and manager at youth level.

PS. Raheem should be the sub who comes on with 20 minutes to go and runs at a tiring defence who have played a lot of minutes.

England are playing 3-5-2 and Stirling is in the 2 with Captain Kane.
  • if sterling could finish he'd be the player of the world cup imo. He's been fantastic and a major cog in how we play.

IF, but the last 3 years proves he cant.
  • if sterling could finish he'd be the player of the world cup imo. He's been fantastic and a major cog in how we play.

IF, but the last 3 years proves he cant.
    23 goals last season proves he can. There's clearly a reason for the discrepancy between club level and international level goal records and if/when he can overcome whatever it is he could very easily join Kane in the "world class English players" club. Big IF though admittedly
  • Love this article: "We stopped Messi so we can stop Kane"

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/44757912

I know their Manager goes on to say that we're a team with a lot of strengths but England / Argentina are two very different sides and dont see our World Cup revolving around Harry Kane, yes we're fucked if he were to be injured yet if they concentrate on him during the match thats fine with me as we're dangerous all over the pitch (unlike Argentina!!)

"Dangerous" but not exactly prolific (appearances - goals):

Maguire 10-1
    Stones 31 - 2
    Walker 39 - 0
    Young 38 - 7
    Henderson 43 - 0
    Trippier 11 - 0
    Alli 28 - 3
    Lingard 16 - 2
    Sterling 42 - 2

So that's 17 goals from 258 appearances (or 1 in every 15 games) for the other 9 outfield players as opposed to 19 goals from 28 appearances for Kane. So their manager probably isn't too far off the mark but is clearly mindful of the number of goals that we have scoredat this WC at set pieces.

By contrast, Croatia's vastly experienced side are not reliant on one player for their goals. Top scorer is Mandzukic with 31 (from 87) but their team as a whole has amassed 92 from 618 appearances - or 1 in every 7.
    Our team at the WC does lack previous goals for England, a number of previous goalscorers have either been left out or aren't in the starting team. We do make up for it with our power at set pieces, any of the CBs in our team could get on the end of the excellent free kicks and corners

Rooney 53
    Defoe 20
    Sturridge 8

Welbeck 16
    Vardy 7
    Cahill 5

Massive loss if not fit.

I know - but he's not a centre forward usually is he.

Massive loss if not fit.

He isn't but I do agree with the view that if Sterling is going to be up top with Kane in the two that he needs to score a goal, because otherwise you might aswell pick Vardy or Rashford.

Having said that, I think Sterling has probably played the best out of the 'front' 4, but is the only one who hasn't scored.
  • edited July 2018

For the coming home brigade to ponder:

Massive loss if not fit.

He isn't but I do agree with the view that if Sterling is going to be up top with Kane in the two that he needs to score a goal, because otherwise you might aswell pick Vardy or Rashford.

Having said that, I think Sterling has probably played the best out of the 'front' 4, but is the only one who hasn't scored.
    If Sterling creates space for someone else to score OR earns us a corner from which we score, then he's made a positive contribution. Peter Beardsley only scored 9 goals in 59 appearances, but contributed massively to the team, as Lineker would surely agree with
  • vardy's lost half a yard of pace since the leicester city league winning season and rashford isn't the full package.. yet.