Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

How do you rate England's 2018 World Cup campaign?

2»

Comments

• Options
    fenn3098 said:

Over hyped hysteria. We played shit teams and lost to a mediocre Croatia and Belgium. We're still pants

Whilst I wouldn't have put it so succinctly, I think you're pretty much spot on.
  • Options
    fenn3098 said:

Over hyped hysteria. We played shit teams and lost to a mediocre Croatia and Belgium. We're still pants

Angus . How many times have I told you to stop slagging off England? . Now go and eat your haggis.
  • Options
    Didn't rate the squad at all but have to admit that we did pretty well helped by a good draw. Spine of the team did well, Pickford, stones, maguire, Hendon and Kane. Rose should have got more time and young less but overall sir Gareth got most things right and I was proud of the way they behaved on and off the field
  • Options
    Over achieved in getting to the semi final as I thought we would lose 2-1 to Colombia in last 16 match. Only a Harry Maguire lean against falcao at 1-1 stopped that result.

Only the most pissed and one eyed fan would believe we were the 4th best team in the world cup, But Southgate turned an average squad into semi finalist so great credit to him BUT was he over loyal to a couple of players ?

Trippier, Maguire and Pickford were the 3 standout players, with Kane, Stones and Walker in his weakest position all ending in credit.
    Both Lingard and Sterling had good moments but though Jessie scored a cracker, still squandered many chances just like Sterling.

Cahill, Jones, Vardy, Welbeck and Young may decide to concentrate on their club careers now.

The best of the young lions, Foden and Brewster need to go out on loan.
    Haven't seen Mount so so can't comment how good he is.
    Gomez and Lookman must have a good chance of making an England squad next year if fitness and form is good.

Still big doubts about England when we play anyone half decent.
  • Options
    As Southgate himself said in his post match interview, England finishing 4th in the World Cup is a false position. We're not at that level yet.

We have some good players coming through &:the future looks bright, but let's not get carried away
  • Options
    I think we all got a bit carried away with it all , but have enjoyed the tournament . Still think we struggle against the top sides, but am more hopeful than I have been for ages .
  • Options
    Fun while it lasted, cheers for the ride, but ultimately come away with that hard-done-by feeling I've had after every single international tournament that has happened in my lifetime.

Trippier was my man of the tournament with special mention to Pickford, Maguire and Stones (For his 2 goals).

• Options
    If I’d been in a coma since the start of the tourney I’d say a better than expected tourney but reality is the draw opened up with the Belgium result and we failed to make it to the final where I’d say we should have got to with that draw .

Trippier and Pickford my standouts

I’d be very surprised for us to make a semi final without 5 new players coming through .
    Italy and Holland will be back and Germany and Spain won’t be as pants
  • Options
    So pleased all the fair weather so called football supporters will now have to find something else to do for the rest of the summer and leave us real fans to concentrate on our teams for the forthcoming season
  • Options
    Shame kane went off the boil but a team to be finally be proud of trippier and Pickford the standouts the future looks v promising with Southgate at the helm
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    We had a good tournament and over-achieved, but aren't yet at the same level as the top teams.

Experience and squad depth are what ultimately cost us. But no shame in that, we had such a young squad with such low expectations and almost all of them will still be in the team for the next 2 or 3 tournaments at least.

Pickford, Maguire and Trippier were all brilliant and will rightly take the plaudits. But also thought Stones was outstanding and surprised he hasn't had the same plaudits (such a shame he switched off for that Croatia winner!).

Sterling causes so many issues for the opposition defence, if only he had that killer finish in him he'd be a world-beater.

Alli was a huge disappointment - looks unfit/uninterested and completely failed to provide the creative influence we so desperatley needed, and was also to blame for Kane' s islotation in the knockout stages.

We have such a need for a creative midfielder, Phil Foden is such a huge talent, the like of which we haven't seen for a generation and could be the answer (but is so dangerous pinning the hopes of a nation on one teenager). Sancho/Sessegnon/Lookma etc also have huge potential to push us to the next level.

Have finally found a manager that has united the squad/fans/media, can't remember the last England manager that was so supported.

The fact is that we've achieved our best finish for 28 years, with the youngest England squad I can remember and with the least experienced manager - whatever the moaners say to the contrary, that's very encouraging.

Disappointing that we have missed a huge opportunity, however it's the first time in my lifetime that an England team have come away from a tournament having not under-achieved.
  • Options
    We were ok. People have gone way overboard in my opinion. We didn’t create enough from open play and in midfield we were pedestrian. We came up against two ok teams in Belgium and Croatia and lost three times. Did better than I expected but at least the players looked like they cared and gave their all and you can’t ask more than that. A lot to work on and we will get better but so will everyone else.
  • Options
    I genuinely think Trippier was player of the tournament... Wnd not because hes english
  • Options
    I thought we did ok and better than expected, certainly don't think the team can be referred to as national treasures, that's just mad.

Teams that win the World cup tend to contain 3 or 4 world class players. I don't think we have any. Belgium's De Bruyne and Hazard make the cut for me and Modric for Croatia.

Alex Ferguson once said he considers only four of his former Manchester United players to have been truly "world-class," lauding the talents of Ryan Giggs, Paul Scholes, Cristiano Ronaldo and Eric Cantona.
  • Options
    I can't understand all this hype, they beat 3 poor teams and lost twice to Belgium and to Croatia, what is there to celebrate except Trippier and waistcoats?
  • Options

I can't understand all this hype, they beat 3 poor teams and lost twice to Belgium and to Croatia, what is there to celebrate except Trippier and waistcoats?

Do you feel similarly about 1990?
  • Options
    It’s amazing how many miserable buggers are on CL
  • Options
    I thought Kane was actually pretty poor most of the tournament. Spent most of the time too deep like Euro 2016.
  • Options
    It was great not to get knocked out early or by a crap team but I do feel that coming fourth kind of flatters us. The brilliant feeling of something amazing happening between the Columbia and Croatia games was great though, but in reality we've got quite a lot of work to do to be a real contender. Fair play to Southgate though for putting together a team people could get behind.

Thought Trippier, Pickford and Maguire were quality and the first two at least should be in with a chance for the team of the tournament.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

What hype????
  • Options
    Pickford was great, Maguire overatted, Trippier suprised me and Jones should be nowhere near the squad. England got lucky.
  • Options
    Well they will gain confidence from having a decent run and playing well but we did fall short and Southgate has admitted that.

Its a young squad with hopefully more talent to come through if given a chance.

Ok we missed the really top teams but that isn't our fault if the likes of Germany and Spain go out early.

Belgium/Croatia (after half time) did have that extra moment of quality and experience to beat us.

Certainly in Pickford and the defence have something to build on - maybe need more in midfield creative wise and be nice to have a striker who can last a whole tournament fully fit!
  • Options
    Definitely overachieved.

I'm expecting to see Harry Winks get more game time and be the pivotal midfielder at Spurs this season now he is back to full fitness. He'll be a contender to play the deep laying midfielder role.

Excited to see Ryan Sessegnon develop further this season and break into the side. He really has got the world at his feet.
  • Options
    1StevieG said:

Did not bother we the third place match. We have definitely over achieved with the young squad. And to think of all the young talent England are producing I think we are in good health for the future with the likes of Lookman, Gomez, Foden on the way up. Just need to find a midfield maestro to complete the set.

Shelvey? Overachieved, and the future looks bright, but still a nagging feeling that we blew a really good chance of reaching the final.
  • Options
    Just great seeing an England team where every player including the goalie was comfortable on the ball. We really played some excellent football at times, best I can remember since Euro 96.
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    A good likeable team to get behind. However still way way short.

I'm sort of glad we went out narrowly to Croatia. I think the French in the final might of been a bit embarrassing.
  • Options
    Much much better than tournaments of recent years, although there's clearly still room for improvement. I'm now optimistic about the next World Cup, which is a far cry from how I felt this time four years ago.

Overall rating 7/10.
  • Options
    Over achieved
    Very predictable by the time we played Croatia
    Some great individual performances.

8/10