Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Is belly dancing acceptable in 2018 ?

Comments

• Options

I see no reason why a bit of traditional belly dancing could cause offence, it’s a genuine cultural artform. I’ve heard this guys on tonight so sit back and enjoy your meal

You just dare @Henry Irving
  • Options
    Addickted said:

I see no reason why a bit of traditional belly dancing could cause offence, it’s a genuine cultural artform. I’ve heard this guys on tonight so sit back and enjoy your meal

If only I could find that photo
  • Options
    Recently attended an anniversary at our local Turkish restaurant. Half way through the evening they brought out a belly dancer. I'd say the atmosphere became slightly muted perhaps a little uncomfortable. The dancer didn't interact with men and was trying to get women to come up and have a dance. For a bit of fun.
  • Options
    cafcfan said:

When you say "invited", I assume that means you were not expected to pick up the bill (or even your share of it) and you turned it down because there might be a bit of flesh wobbling about?

You turned down free food?

Edited to add: Personally I thought the food hygiene rating would be the first thing to check. So I did it for you - Hisar Meze Bar 4 star -good - rated as recently as April.

No, we were invited out for dinner as a couple, split the bill. I didn't fancy a Turkish meal and certainly didn't fancy eating with belly dancers. Subsequently, I wondered in 2018 as to whether belly dancing was demeaning to women.
  • Options

cafcfan said:

When you say "invited", I assume that means you were not expected to pick up the bill (or even your share of it) and you turned it down because there might be a bit of flesh wobbling about?

You turned down free food?

Edited to add: Personally I thought the food hygiene rating would be the first thing to check. So I did it for you - Hisar Meze Bar 4 star -good - rated as recently as April.

No, we were invited out for dinner as a couple, split the bill. I didn't fancy a Turkish meal and certainly didn't fancy eating with belly dancers. Subsequently, I wondered in 2018 as to whether belly dancing was demeaning to women.
    Its part if their culture/tradition. I'm not saying its right but to me its better than a muslim woman being covered up from top to toe with just slits for her eyes & having to be subservient.
  • Options
    Ballet dancing. Is that demeaning to women ? Effectively a leotard and tutu and nothing else. A woman in a Bikini ? Swimsuit. Gym gear ?

Think a lot of nonsense is spouted on subjects like this. If a woman wishes to wear or participate in any of the above then that is their choice. As long as a men, women or organisations (religion) don’t coerce or demand that they do so then that’s fine by me.
  • Options

I got invited to a Turkish Restaurant with belly dancing tonight in Orpington.
    I politely declined and explained that I didn't think Leuth and Chizz would approve :-)
    I mean if walk on ladies at the darts and at the F1 aren't showing women in the right "light", surely belly dancing should now be outdated.

So what do people think ? No arguing please, just polite opinions :-)

I think Ladies should still be able to walk on at the darts, and don't see any problem with Ladies belly dancing if they are happy doing it and hopefully getting well paid
  • Options
    Would a male belly dancer get paid the same as a female belly dancer?
  • Options
    I heard a theory once that it was connected to the roots/birth of Flamenco in Spain during one of the early Muslim dynasties, so does that mean we have to ban Flamenco too? That will do nothing for my duende but if it takes John Williams of the tele I am all for it.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited July 2018
    Being a 'woke' man in 2018 is a nightmare. Cultural vs gender respect is the kind of conundrum that I find myself grappling with on a daily basis. I'd have asked the restaurant to find a non cis dancer so as not to promote any negative gender stereotypes.
  • Options
    Did you enquire if it would be a vegetarian belly?
  • Options
    seth plum said:

Did you enquire if it would be a vegetarian belly?

I’d wager the one in the picture at the top of this page isn’t.
  • Options
    Turkish food is nice. Not a great fan of belly dancing in all honesty. I certainly doesn't make a meal more appetising to me - but it is pretty harmless if you like that sort of thing. Not sure there are too many that do.
  • Options
    Enjoy,.
  • Options

I have to say I'm quite surprised with the replies so far.
    This world's getting too confusing for me.
    So it's no longer deemed appropriate for fully dressed ladies to walk alongside darts players.
    But it is appropriate to have some scantily clad ladies shaking their breasts and tummies in your general direction, when you're trying to eat your kebab ?

I'm genuinely not trying to cause an argument. I really struggle with the double standards as I see it.
    Walking fully clothed demeans women , yet dancing scantily clad for your entertainment whilst eating dinner doesn't ?

Seems like you're deliberately looking for things to be confused about. Nothing to see here.
  • Options
    Stig said:

So it's no longer deemed appropriate for fully dressed ladies to walk alongside darts players.
    But it is appropriate to have some scantily clad ladies shaking their breasts and tummies in your general direction, when you're trying to eat your kebab ?

I'm genuinely not trying to cause an argument. I really struggle with the double standards as I see it.
    Walking fully clothed demeans women , yet dancing scantily clad for your entertainment whilst eating dinner doesn't ?

Seems like you're deliberately looking for things to be confused about. Nothing to see here.
    Deliberately questioning whether our actions are still acceptable or whether times change and they are not.
    I thought that's what we're supposed to be doing.
  • Options
    Belly dancing is some sort of "performance".

Ladies at darts or F1 are just eye candy and rather pathetic.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited July 2018

I've never been keen on entertainment while I am eating. Spanish guitar players and the like are fairly annoying while you are trying to shovel down a paella. The most extraordinary thing I ever witnessed was at an Indian restaurant in Jakarta. I was the only person in the restaurant and typical Indian music was playing at standard volume. Suddenly, the volume was turned up deafening, which perplexed me. Then, four dancers appeared, two from each end of the restaurant, in glittery costumes and started dancing away in the centre of the restaurant. It was unexpected and unnecessary as I was tucking into my lamb madras. After two, maybe three, dances, they stopped in front of me, smiled and done some sort of bowing motion. I still can't explain why I put my knife and fork down and felt the need to clap, forgetting how pathetic one person clapping sounds.

Spot on. Entertainment whilst eating can only be there to put you off focusing on rubbish food! A couple of Spanish blokes wanting to pour some cheap plonk down my throat as they play gypsy kings stuff on their guitar, whilst I am trying to eat, is about as annoying as it is possible to get for me. And no I don't want to buy your f***ing CD! All those that buy the CD, how many times do you think they play it - I'd say the average is zero!!!!
  • Options

Belly dancing is some sort of "performance".

Ladies at darts or F1 are just eye candy and rather pathetic.

I like eye candy
  • Options
    OMG... is this a joke.
  • Options

OMG... is this a joke.

My conclusion too!
  • Options

I agree with you.

As an aside, I have always been opposed to page 3 in The Sun.

I am being serious here btw.
  • Options
    Addickted said:

F*** me I thought CLB74 was staring at me.
  • Options

As long as you don’t try and eat her kebab you’ll be fine.
  • Options
    Stig said:

There is, a pair of knockers.
  • Options

As long as you don’t try and eat her kebab you’ll be fine.
    Thank You. Couldn’t bring myself to type it!
  • Options
    When I say bring myself.....