Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Gaucho's going into administration

Comments

• Options
    People saying it’s too expensive to eat out at nice places now should look on Bookatable.com. Some quality set menu offers to impress the missus.
  • Options
    Went to the one at Canary wharf a few years back with the Mrs, they stuck is in front of the wine rack and every time the Mrs lent forward they reached behind her to get a bottle of wine out!

Got one of those generic emails afterwards asking to rate our visit so I mentioned this and they sent me an apology and told us anytime we wanted to come again we could have a meal to the value of £100 on them, this time they couldn't do enough for us.
  • Options
    Been gaucho just the once but doesn't come close to hawksmoor. Cant beat the Chateaubriand. Sooo good.
  • Options
    Waiter.....”How would you like your steak Sir?”
    Punter.....”Leave the horns on and wipe its arse.”
  • Options
    You need to get a decent bit of meat, Rib Eye is my favourite, Fillet is nice and has a lovely texture but needs a butter and often a sauce to give it flavour. Rib Eye a knob of butter is enough. I cook Fillet on a fairly high heat in a grill pan for 3 minutes each side after it's been left to get to room temperature. Don't touch it, 3 minutes then turn it and another 3 minutes. Leave it on a chopping board or plate for 5 minutes to let it sit

Rib eye same, but do it for 4 minutes each side to soften the fat. Put a twist of salt and pepper on each side before you put them on the heat and a bit of butter to melt into it. Gorgeous
  • Options
    Follow the Hawksmoor guide to cooking a steak. Basically get the pan white hot, dry off the stake, salt and pepper each side, and cook to perfection

4/5 minutes for me for a lovely rare sirloin

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/foodanddrink/recipes/8806083/Steak-recipes-from-Hawksmoor-restaurant.html
  • Options
    I was 18 and an intern and had just gone to Gaucho's for the first time and was talking about it.

A guy turned to me and said that he viewed flash frying a steak for 3 minutes on each side at a billion percent markup the biggest con of all time. Never forgotten his words... Went to Gaucho twice since then, once just a few months ago. I can cook a steak better.

As stated above, it's for wankers with corporate cards (wankers because they have one and I don't).
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

A decent steak is ten a penny these days.

They lost their USP a long time ago.

What do you expect when they are busy on the 14th March, with nothing on the dessert menu.

• Options
    Carter said:

You need to get a decent bit of meat, Rib Eye is my favourite, Fillet is nice and has a lovely texture but needs a butter and often a sauce to give it flavour. Rib Eye a knob of butter is enough. I cook Fillet on a fairly high heat in a grill pan for 3 minutes each side after it's been left to get to room temperature. Don't touch it, 3 minutes then turn it and another 3 minutes. Leave it on a chopping board or plate for 5 minutes to let it sit

Rib eye same, but do it for 4 minutes each side to soften the fat. Put a twist of salt and pepper on each side before you put them on the heat and a bit of butter to melt into it. Gorgeous

Exactly the way I cook steak-superb:)

• Options
    edited July 2018

Addickted said:

The best steaks I've ever had are from my butcher and cooked at home how I like it with my favourite sauce.

And they cost a lot less than at a flashy steakhouse.

knowledge around how to cook your own is very hard to beat.
    How should you cook them? I just whack em on the George Foreman and turn them over every couple of mins
    Tenderise the steak first, then season the meat before cooking. Use a little groundnut oil to cook and make sure the pan is super hot. Then add a small nob of butter towards the end which you spoon over the steak so it stays moist. Know how long to cook different cuts (ie my fav is a a rib eye which has more fat running through it than some cuts and (whilst not healthy) the marbelling affect of a rib eye makes it very tasty so you are better to choose one with a reasonable amount). But because of this you actually want to cook it medium to ensure this melts rather than rare when it would be stringy.

(Most of the above taken from Gordon Ramsey’s programme a few years back where you could cook your dinner in 10 mins or something by following his instructions but have served me well.
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    What’s that one you have to share, Cote de Boeuf? I’ve had many work meals/work nights out where I get lumbered in that situation. I can deal with that on my own. I don’t want to have to fret over halving it
  • Options
    cabbles said:

What’s that one you have to share, Cote de Boeuf? I’ve had many work meals/work nights out where I get lumbered in that situation. I can deal with that on my own. I don’t want to have to fret over halving it

Chateaubriand.
  • Options
    Love pepper sauce. Don't need an expensive cut since the sauce overpowers it.

Remember the good old days visiting Argentina after their economy went tits up... Two 600g sirloins, sides and a bottle of malbec for less than a tenner
  • Options

PopIcon said:

Bodeans at Clapham North is well worth a mention.....Mmmmmmm yummy!
    They also,have several other London locations......though none in SE London.

Went Bodean's Tower Hill a few weeks back. Filthy inside and overcooked food. Disappointed as heard it was great...
    So.....over cooked food....Mmmmm that’s highly subjective wouldn’t you say.
    Have used their restaurants for some years on and off and always had a great meal....never failed me yet or the company I was keeping on any occasion.
    Over cooked....what was over cooked....everything, one or two things?
    What did you have, did you eat alone, what was the view of others assuming you had company that is?
    It’s easy to slag a place off and do severe damage to their reputation, without concrete and objective information Poplcon.
    They have a fantastic reputation and not without reason!
    I’m finding it hard to process your judgement in so far as it doesn’t fit in even remotely with my numerous visits and as such I can do nothing but disagree wholeheartedly with your remarks.
    Have you been to the one in Tower Hill?
    The only good thing I could find about it was the customer service. Don't even get me started on the state of the toilets.
  • Options
    Riviera said:

cabbles said:

Chateaubriand.
    That’s the one.
  • Options
    I've only ever been to a Gaucho restaurant once. I damn near shit myself inside out afterwards. Never again
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Rothko said:

Follow the Hawksmoor guide to cooking a steak. Basically get the pan white hot, dry off the stake, salt and pepper each side, and cook to perfection

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/foodanddrink/recipes/8806083/Steak-recipes-from-Hawksmoor-restaurant.html

I do pretty much the same 2/3 mins each side and a good rest is all it needs
  • Options

Thought they were over extending themselves when they opened a restaurant in The Pentagon in Chatham and then rather foolishly alienated the locals by banning neck tatoos, on women...

Stupid rule for such a place. 95% of the woman in Chatham have neck tattoos.
  • Options

Thought they were over extending themselves when they opened a restaurant in The Pentagon in Chatham and then rather foolishly alienated the locals by banning neck tatoos, on women...

Stupid rule for such a place. 95% of the woman in Chatham have neck tattoos.
    95%!! That is just a stupid, ignorant, uninformed guess. It's more like 99.7%......
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    Rothko said:

Pretty much exactly the same as I cook mine and I've never read that before. Brush over a thin lick of oil both sides, season with salt, pepper and then 2-3 mins each side in the pan dependant on thickness. Its all about letting it stand afterwards.

I must admit, I'm a huge rib-eye fan over everything else.

Been 3 different Gaucho's over the last 4-5 years and all been average to say the least.

Hawksmoor head and shoulders above. Boisdale at Canary Wharf was better, can name a dozen or more restaurants in London with better steak than Gaucho.
    El Matador in Sevenoaks was very good. Had a lovely steak in La Rascasse in Beckenham once but only been there the once so that may have just been a fluke.

Most memorable and top 4 without a doubt: Adriano's in Vegas old town, Rose Rabbit Lie in the Cosmopolitan in Vegas, La Boheme in Javia/Xabia and Il Chianti Vineria in Rome. Top class.

• Options
    Only been to Gauchos once, and that was unsurprisingly on someone else's company card. Didn't think it was anything special.

Would echo the thoughts of others that Cau is much better.
  • Options
    JohnBoyUK said:

Rothko said:

Pretty much exactly the same as I cook mine and I've never read that before. Brush over a thin lick of oil both sides, season with salt, pepper and then 2-3 mins each side in the pan dependant on thickness. Its all about letting it stand afterwards.

I must admit, I'm a huge rib-eye fan over everything else.

Been 3 different Gaucho's over the last 4-5 years and all been average to say the least.

Hawksmoor head and shoulders above. Boisdale at Canary Wharf was better, can name a dozen or more restaurants in London with better steak than Gaucho.
    El Matador in Sevenoaks was very good. Had a lovely steak in La Rascasse in Beckenham once but only been there the once so that may have just been a fluke.

Most memorable and top 4 without a doubt: Adriano's in Vegas old town, Rose Rabbit Lie in the Cosmopolitan in Vegas, La Boheme in Javia/Xabia and Il Chianti Vineria in Rome. Top class.

If we are talking Vegas then Jean Georges in the Aria is pretty special as well.
  • Options
    shine166 said:

Rothko said:

I do pretty much the same 2/3 mins each side and a good rest is all it needs
    Don't want to know about your sex life.
  • Options
    I very rarely eat steak in restaurants because no one cooks them as well as I do. As far as the high end chains go though I found Goodmans the best in my expense account days.