Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Bowyer: Pratley won’t be fit for start of season

2»

Comments

• Options
    Our team is so full of raspberries, we should be called Charlton Unathletic.
  • Options
    Has Bowyer made it clear what season he will be fit for? 2019 maybe.
  • Options

so we've bought a player who cant remember how to kick a football around?

We’ve bought a player who won’t have played a competitive game for a couple of months and who hasn’t been kicking a ball around with his new teammates
    Right - but we aren’t playing Sunderland today, there are about four friendlies before we get to that point for him to kick a ball around with his new teammates.

It’s a bit of a weird statement from Bowyer, unless the player is carrying a bit of an injury that we don’t want to disclose?
  • Options
    This just gets better and better.
  • Options

the more I read Bowyer's quotes the less I understand.

What I read is Bowyer being protective of a player that he's expecting to be a key member of the team this season.
    This is no doubt why Bowyer signed him:

"A player like Pratley offered another dynamic to other midfielders in Wanderers’ squad.
    His return just proved how much he wanted to play. It really showed how much he was willing to fight for the club.

Last season was arguably Darren Pratley’s most consistent, both in terms of playing time and quality of performance."

(Quoted from a Bolton fan's blog recently: https://lionofviennasuite.sbnation.com/2018/6/10/17441086/o-captain-my-captain-bolton-wanderers-darren-pratley)

Pratley is 33 years old and has suffered a broken leg twice in the past couple of years. But he came back to play a vital part in Bolton's relegation escape.
    Bowyer is looking at the big picture. He needs Pratley as a cornerstone of the team. He's not going to be risked uneccessarily.
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:

What I read is Bowyer being protective of a player that he's expecting to be a key member of the team this season.

"A player like Pratley offered another dynamic to other midfielders in Wanderers’ squad.
    His return just proved how much he wanted to play. It really showed how much he was willing to fight for the club.

Last season was arguably Darren Pratley’s most consistent, both in terms of playing time and quality of performance."

(Quoted from a Bolton fan's blog recently: https://lionofviennasuite.sbnation.com/2018/6/10/17441086/o-captain-my-captain-bolton-wanderers-darren-pratley)

Pratley is 33 years old and has suffered a broken leg twice in the past couple of years. But he came back to play a vital part in Bolton's relegation escape.
    Bowyer is looking at the big picture. He needs Pratley as a cornerstone of the team. He's not going to be risked uneccessarily.
    But why is it a “risk” for him to play football, that is surely the question?
  • Options
    edited July 2018

Its just a weird thing for him to even say. Why not just wait until the season opener and then decide if he's match ready or not. If he has the fitness and then turns in 2 MoM performances against Brighton and Norwich, is he just gonna leave him out because he wants to keep to his word from 2.5 weeks ago.

Lack of coaching experience showing perhaps.
  • Options
    se9addick said:

Oggy Red said:

Because he's 3 weeks behind Charlton's pre-season training programme, perhaps?

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Oggy Red said:

se9addick said:

Oggy Red said:

But he’s one of the fittest players in the squad, apparently, and has another three or four friendlies to get any required match fitness back.

It’s very odd for Bowyer to rule him out of the first match of the season a couple of weeks in advance given the above.
  • Options

If he's 33 and came second in the team running test, then how the fuck can he not be ready to play a football match in two and a half weeks time? We have 3 more friendlies to get him ready.

Also doesn't say much for our squad if they're getting beaten by an unfit 33 year old.

However looking at the bigger picture, rushing him to play in a game when he isn't ready is pointless, i'd rather he took the extra week and was ready for Shrewsbury.

this all day long, how the fuck with over 2 weeks to go, can he not be fit enough
    Bow isn't saying he won't be 'fit' (if you mean being able to simply run around for 90 ,minutes)-if I read his statement correctly- just that he has not done enough ball work - especially with the team.
  • Options
    se9addick said:

Oggy Red said:

se9addick said:

Oggy Red said:

But he’s one of the fittest players in the squad, apparently, and has another three or four friendlies to get any required match fitness back.

It’s very odd for Bowyer to rule him out of the first match of the season a couple of weeks in advance given the above.
    Bowyer must have his reasons; he's hardly going to make these decisions on some random whim.

• Options
    Oggy Red said:

se9addick said:

Oggy Red said:

se9addick said:

Oggy Red said:

Bowyer must have his reasons; he's hardly going to make these decisions on some random whim.

Agreed, I’m just curious as to what those reasons are.
  • Options
    if Rohan Ince signs you can add him to the list of won't be ready for the start of the season
  • Options
    It's a quote/statement that the Liverpool Lip would have used if still here.
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    Is it 'Prately' that rhymes with plate-ly?
    Or 'Prately' that rhymes with flatly?

(Asking for a friend)
  • Options

“Darren is in good shape. It’s just the football, he’s going to be rusty with the ball, so he won’t be playing against Sunderland. He’s got to catch up and get himself ready.

“There’s no point chucking him in the deep end and getting him injured at Sunderland. He won’t start against Sunderland but we will try to get him as many minutes as possible during pre-season.

“I want to chuck him in and amongst the lads as soon as possible. Saturday is probably too soon but he might get some minutes on Tuesday.”

I’m not sure everything adds up here, it’s all very contradictory. He’s in good shape, he’s 2nd in the fitness tests but he’s not kicked a ball and needs minutes. But he’s not being played in the friendlies against non league teams which would give those minutes.

He’s been kicking a ball for nearly 30 years. What’s he missed out on, a month? It’s not like he missed all of last season and needs to slowly build.

Strange one

He'd still be better an the rest ;)
  • Options

if Rohan Ince signs you can add him to the list of won't be ready for the start of the season

And Dawkins? Or not !?
  • Options
    I mean it's not surprising given when he signed. But it's still frustrating.

I think Maloney looks a very promising player. I do not think he's ready to start regularly in this league.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    uie2 said:

And Dawkins? Or not !?
    Dawkins should definitely be ready as he's been playing in the pre season games.
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:

se9addick said:

Oggy Red said:

se9addick said:

Oggy Red said:

We don’t want to risk him getting injured before we sell him.

• Options
    JamesSeed said:

Is it 'Prately' that rhymes with plate-ly?
    Or 'Prately' that rhymes with flatly?

(Asking for a friend)

No, it's Pratley that rhymes with Forster-Caskey !
  • Options
    We all know when he finally does start that he will get injured in his first or second game and be out for most of the season!
  • Options

On the plus side I heard Cory Gibbs is almost ready to return to training...

Gary Rowett could be back soon as well !

• Options
    utter bollox of a season already -----we ain't even the pot that others piss in
  • Options

utter bollox of a season already -----we ain't even the pot that others piss in

And a very good morning to you too GH!