Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

UK Road Trips and points on the licence!

As we approach peak holiday season, dare say many of us will be driving off to another part of the country. And these days driving on roads you don't know can be an easy way to get points on your licence as you pass a speed camera you didn't know was there. (I know, I know - before the Charlton Life anti-car brigade tell us, don't speed and you won't have a problem. I actually agree with that but it's so easy sometimes just to slip marginally over the speed limit and it's flash and 3 points).

Here's 3 areas where I know you need to be careful:-

1) Western side (Heathrow) of the M25. Busiest piece of road in the country, the variable speed limits are often in force. Believe me these are not recommendations, they are quite strictly enforced. (Know someone who got a ticket for doing 62mph when a 50mph limit was in force).

2) New(ish) SMART section of the M3 motorway (the one with no hard shoulder on). There are very small yellow speed cameras on this section - different shape to the usual cameras and slightly hidden behind gantries so easy to miss. Again, know someone who got a ticket for doing 78mph.

3) Just come back from seeing a mate in North Yorkshire. Apparently all the fixed speed cameras have been turned off (don't blame me if you zoom past one and get a ticket!) but they have got camera vans everywhere. My mate says these camera vans are catching motorists by the hundreds, particularly in villages with a 30mph limit. Best be careful!

Anyone else got any places/roads they can specifically warn about?

Comments

• Options
    The speed cameras in Birchwood Road (running from Swanley A20 to Dartford A2) are ALWAYS active - one of the bigger earners for the council.
  • Options
    5 minutes. Not bad:-)
  • Options
    just come off 9 points down to 6, All points from vans on A roads that are far larger and less busy than many lanes. All three I was under 40mph been living on a knife edge for work for 2 years until first points cleared. Beware new painted camera vans all around Preston up as far as Lancaster northwards, Burnley to the east, Chorley south and all over the Fylde. Seen them everywhere last 3 weeks. All easy run outs for the vans from Hutton Lancs HQ.
  • Options

Maybe just don't speed?

But that's far more effort than going online and searching for where all the speed traps are!
  • Options
    50 MPH average speed check on m23 down towards Brighton just after the m25 turnoff
  • Options
    Roadworks on M20 from bottom of Wrotham Hill. 50mph average speed checks. 50!!! On that stretch of motorway even some of the righteous do-gooders on here would be doing 80+ quite happily.
  • Options
    Shropshire. All of it. They’re bloody everywhere. At least they were last time I drove through it.
  • Options
    Been done twice through Chideock in recent years.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Been nicked 7 times for 'speeding' in the last three years, never nicked once in the previous 50 years of driving .. easy cash to pay for non existent o/b and pot hole menders ..
    currently appealing against a 6 month ban .. got nicked twice in one day in Nottingham and just up the road nr Caistor .. the ban relates just to the Lincolnshire nick, gawd knows what awaits once I hear from Notts .. speed traps are all over the country, like I say, easy money from sitting ducks