Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Modern footballers and injuries

As the crawley friendly appears to be a hybrid of apocalypse now meets the opening ten minutes of saving private Ryan in terms of the injuries our players are sustaining is it me or do players seem to pick up injuries more these days?

Is it because they are fitter and therefore paradoxically more prone to it?

Maybe the intense training required to sustain levels of fitness leave players vulnerable to nasty niggly injuries.

Is it the boots, the fact they don't play through them anymore as advancement in medical knowledge commands longer rest periods I wonder.

Whilst we seem particularly
cursed there seem to be so many injured players across football these days that it seems remarkable and is noted if a player makes an appearance in a full set of season's fixtures.

Players were far less protected yesterday a day it was probably more physical with horrendous challenges going unpunished yet didn't seem to be the same frequency and volumes of player injuries and squads didn't need to be anyway near as big to succeed.

Comments

• Options
    edited July 2018
    In the past many players were so permanently pissed that they could play a few games with a broken leg and not notice

Muddy pitches slow down the game, make for softer landings .. boots are more like slippers .. a theory that training on plastic pitches is very bad for knees and ankles .. modern players are trained to be sprinters with an overemphasis perhaps on tight hamstrings, slender limbs and lack of body fat .. modern players are cuter at fouling, they know where to aim .. perhaps modern players are just less mentally prepared to play through an injury .. give them a few pints of Carlsberg Special .. that'll get them through any amount of pain ((:>)
  • Options
    Yes, I've wondered about that as well

Yes we have a small squad, yes players get rushed back too soon, but historically that's hardly unusual for our club. I have a soft spot for the 91/92 team, which had 12-13 really good players, and very little else. They all played far more games than modern players do, and played on through injuries without crippling themselves for the next 6 months.