Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Shankly documentary

13»

Comments

• Options

Shankly was a great manager. He laid the foundations for Liverpool to go from a club with a big support, to one of the games big clubs.

But in terms of Europe in the Shankly era, Ajax won three European Cups in a row to Liverpool’s zero. Indeed Bill’s brother Bob matched his European cup semi final by reaching the same stage with Dundee.

Where Liverpool even the best team in England under Shankly? Or were Leeds?

Shankly was a great manager. He laid the foundations for Liverpool to go from a club with a big support, to one of the games big clubs.

But in terms of Europe in the Shankly era, Ajax won three European Cups in a row to Liverpool’s zero. Indeed Bill’s brother Bob matched his European cup semi final by reaching the same stage with Dundee.

Liverpool were ahead of Leeds who I think suffered from the cynical football they played - great players but very dirty.

Shankly won:
    2nd Division title
    1st Division three times
    FA Cup twice
    UEFA Cup
    Semis of European Cup 1965 - knocked out in dubious circumstances by Inter Milan.

I think Paisley would acknowledge Shankly deserves some credit for Liverpool's European Cup triumphs.

Leeds lost their way after Revie.

Liverpool were ahead of Leeds who I think suffered from the cynical football they played - great players but very dirty.

Shankly won:
    2nd Division title
    1st Division three times
    FA Cup twice
    UEFA Cup
    Semis of European Cup 1965 - knocked out in dubious circumstances by Inter Milan.

I think Paisley would acknowledge Shankly deserves some credit for Liverpool's European Cup triumphs.

Christ almighty you seem to be going all out to denigrate Shankly.....bollox to that he WAS the greatest full stop!
    Don’t care what you say, he built that club from nowhere.
    We’re Liverpool better that Leeds.....of course they were!
    Not sure how old you are by the way, for you to even suggest otherwise?
    Can you even read? Or are you a snowflake?
    Shankly was described as a great manager, one who laid the foundations.
    Leeds finished first or second five years out six, finishing third in the other. The question (note not a statement) was not unreasonable, unlike your strange response
    Don’t know what a snowflake is?
    Anyway sorry about my OTT response but you have no idea how highly I rate Shankly, he has hero status for me, so I’m unreasonably and stupidly touchy about anything that even approaches criticism of the great man.
    Also don’t know why there are quotes from other posters in my reply?
    No worries

By the way Red or Dead is worth a read @SoundAsa£ (see page 44 of book thread for a review)
  • Options
    DOC64 said:

Thought it was great also, when they showed Clough applauding Shankly whilst they were walking their teams out in a cup final at Wembley.

Showed fantastic respect and sportsmanship..

It would be the charity shield. After Shankly had retired
  • Options
    lolwray said:

I think Revie and Shankly were equally successful .However Liverpool were even more successful after Shankly left having created a legacy .Leeds just fell apart when Revie left.Thats the difference .

Armfield took Leeds to the European cup final post revie
  • Options
    Riviera said:

Riviera said:

LenGlover said:

The thing about Shankly is that he created a dynasty that could continue successfully for 10 plus years after he finished.

Not sure too many other managers have managed that. Ferguson didn't. Curbishley and Chris Powell weren't allowed to....

No. Ferguson did, difference was that he did it for himself. 26 odd years or so. No one compares to Fergie or ever will he built a dynasty that lasted for generations and produced 4 or 5 different league winning teams. No one got anywhere that or ever will.
    Liverpool haven't won the league for 28 years.

Curbishley wasn't allowed to? He quit!
    Powell wasn't allowed to? He got sacked!
    Isn't that exactly what is meant by "Wasn't allowed to"?
    Yeah he got sacked because he wasn't going to!
    We will never know.

The comment didn't quite tie in with the thread but I now understand what you were getting at.
  • Options
    Keegan must have been in bits when Shankly's wife gave him that award back just before his funeral.

Always sort of liked Liverpool, my English teacher (Mr Pead, Bexleyheath School) wrote one of their official history books and was obsessed with them.
  • Options
    The kop remembers
  • Options

Riviera said:

Riviera said:

LenGlover said:

The thing about Shankly is that he created a dynasty that could continue successfully for 10 plus years after he finished.

Not sure too many other managers have managed that. Ferguson didn't. Curbishley and Chris Powell weren't allowed to....

No. Ferguson did, difference was that he did it for himself. 26 odd years or so. No one compares to Fergie or ever will he built a dynasty that lasted for generations and produced 4 or 5 different league winning teams. No one got anywhere that or ever will.
    Liverpool haven't won the league for 28 years.

Curbishley wasn't allowed to? He quit!
    Powell wasn't allowed to? He got sacked!
    Isn't that exactly what is meant by "Wasn't allowed to"?
    Yeah he got sacked because he wasn't going to!
    We will never know.

The comment didn't quite tie in with the thread but I now understand what you were getting at.
    Mentioning Curbishley and Powell definitely didn't tie in with the thread!
  • Options

Shankly won:
    2nd Division title
    1st Division three times
    FA Cup twice
    UEFA Cup

Shankly won:
    2nd Division title
    1st Division three times
    FA Cup twice
    UEFA Cup

Christ almighty you seem to be going all out to denigrate Shankly.....bollox to that he WAS the greatest full stop!
    Don’t care what you say, he built that club from nowhere.
    We’re Liverpool better that Leeds.....of course they were!
    Not sure how old you are by the way, for you to even suggest otherwise?
    I am a great fan of Shankly he is without doubt one of the greats but he did not take Liverpool from nowhere. They were a very good 2nd Division team. Revie took Leeds from almost relegation to the 3rd Division to one of, if not, the best teams this country has ever seen.
    "When Shankly arrived at Anfield on Monday, 14 December 1959, Liverpool had been in the Second Division for five years, and had been defeated by non-league Worcester City in the 1958–59 FA Cup. Anfield itself was in disrepair with no means of watering the pitch and Shankly described the training ground at Melwood as "a shambles".

Don't sound like a very good team to me.
    So finishing the previous four seasons before he arrived no lower than 4th is not a good 2nd division team? behave!