Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Stansted Drop off charges - beware.

2»

Comments

• Options
    Addickted said:

Drop Off/Pick Up at Gatwick is free.

Exactly. I dropped my son off last month and nothing to pay. Bit confused by people referencing Gatwick to drop off charges unless they mean parking to pick up arrivals?
  • Options

Addickted said:

Drop Off/Pick Up at Gatwick is free.

Exactly. I dropped my son off last month and nothing to pay. Bit confused by people referencing Gatwick to drop off charges unless they mean parking to pick up arrivals?
    Yeah, at Gatwick you are allowed to pull in, let everyone get their shit out of the vehicle and be on their way pronto, same as at Stansted however at Stansted you pay for the privilege and now have to queue up too. If you are picking people up from an airport you have two options, one is to wait offsite to get the call that whoever you are picking up is at a determined spot and assuming ypu know where that is, you shoot along, pick them up and be on your way. The other is to park in the short stay car park and wait on foot at the arrivals gate for your passengers. At Gatwick the first option is free, the second costs whatever the cost is in the short stay car park
  • Options

What really gets me about the Stanstead thing is with the money they are making, they could comfortably appoint a small team of parking stewards to ensure that it all runs smoothly.

When it first began, I roughly estimated with the number of cars dropping off that they would earn over1 million pounds a year from the charge and that was when it was £2.00!!

Needs covering 24 / 7. Maybe six teams if you allow for holidays and weekends (even Christmas day).
    So just three or four people per team?

A million pounds doesn't buy you much these days.
    Not entirely sure it would be 24/7 because of night flight restrictions, (11.30pm to 6.00am I think) and my very rough calculations excluded 6 hours, per day. But if you include those hours and now with the cost at £3.50 we are looking I would say, at closer to £2 million now.

Even allowing for your six teams of four and at a top salary rate for that job of £22k per year per person the profit on this parking scheme will be over 1 million pounds and possibly 1.5.

I accept in the whole scheme of things a million isn't much, MAG earned over £150million in car park charges last year and considering that to be the case, I find it even more disappointing/annoying that a company would make their customers pay more without providing the support structure to make it work properly.

It's straight out of the 'Ryanair' book of business practices. 'They're just customers, they need us, so F**kem!!!'
  • Options

What really gets me about the Stanstead thing is with the money they are making, they could comfortably appoint a small team of parking stewards to ensure that it all runs smoothly.

When it first began, I roughly estimated with the number of cars dropping off that they would earn over1 million pounds a year from the charge and that was when it was £2.00!!

Needs covering 24 / 7. Maybe six teams if you allow for holidays and weekends (even Christmas day).
    So just three or four people per team?

A million pounds doesn't buy you much these days.
    Not entirely sure it would be 24/7 because of night flight restrictions, (11.30pm to 6.00am I think) and my very rough calculations excluded 6 hours, per day. But if you include those hours and now with the cost at £3.50 we are looking I would say, at closer to £2 million now.

Even allowing for your six teams of four and at a top salary rate for that job of £22k per year per person the profit on this parking scheme will be over 1 million pounds and possibly 1.5.

I accept in the whole scheme of things a million isn't much, MAG earned over £150million in car park charges last year and considering that to be the case, I find it even more disappointing/annoying that a company would make their customers pay more without providing the support structure to make it work properly.

It's straight out of the 'Ryanair' book of business practices. 'They're just customers, they need us, so F**kem!!!'
    This from Stansted's own web site: "Stansted airport is and has always been a 24 hour operation. There are restrictions on the numbers and types or aircraft that are allowed to operate between the hours of 23:30-06:00 hours (local time). This bans the noisier type of aircraft operating at night."

There is also no restriction on private movements. I suspect that includes all the freight operators like FedEx, etc.

The last flight I took from Stansted in May was timed to go at 05:55. That means I was pitching up at the airport at approx 03:30; I was by no means the first. The people on the last scheduled flights in would not be clearing customs/baggage reclaim until maybe 00:30. So, it might not be quite 24/7 but it's not far off.

BTW, per passenger, Stansted get more money from passenger spend (parking, shopping, eating, drinking) than they do from the airlines for the landing slots.
  • Options
    Parking charges are one of the biggest scams across our country.
    I recently dropped my mum at Gatwick, she is 80 and has assisted boarding whenever she flies.
    Obviously I can't drop her off and just bugger off, so I went to the short stay, we walked the short distance to departures and I found the assisted boarding people who took care of her, I was in there a little over 30 mins, went to pay at the short stay car park £7.50.
    Absolute bastards.