Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

In ground WiFi update

Comments

• Options
    Swisdom said:

Swisdom said:

Rothko said:

The 4G networks in and around the Valley are far better then they were 5 years ago, so is it that much of an issue?

If your son is on YouTube for 2 hours straight it rinses my monthly data limit fir the month
    If your son goes to Charlton and just spends 2 hours on youtube then don't bother taking him. Let the wife supervise him at home instead.
    We get to spend the day together and I love it. At his age I wasn’t particularly interested in football but given a few more years he will be into it.

It’s not just Charlton we do together. He has football training in the morning then we can go for a bite to eat for lunch and finally going to Charlton ( which is when he plays on his iPad). I love spending time with him

My wife enjoys a bit of peace and quiet while our daughter goes to dancing and ballet and I take my little man to football. That’s just how it is.

Sounds perfect.
  • Options
    NugNug
    edited July 2018
    Swisdom said:

Swisdom said:

Rothko said:

The 4G networks in and around the Valley are far better then they were 5 years ago, so is it that much of an issue?

If your son is on YouTube for 2 hours straight it rinses my monthly data limit fir the month
    If your son goes to Charlton and just spends 2 hours on youtube then don't bother taking him. Let the wife supervise him at home instead.
    We get to spend the day together and I love it. At his age I wasn’t particularly interested in football but given a few more years he will be into it.

It’s not just Charlton we do together. He has football training in the morning then we can go for a bite to eat for lunch and finally going to Charlton ( which is when he plays on his iPad). I love spending time with him

My wife enjoys a bit of peace and quiet while our daughter goes to dancing and ballet and I take my little man to football. That’s just how it is.

When I first took my son he was maybe 4, always took a Nintendo DS to keep him busy. He grew to love Charlton, although has gone off it a bit in the last couple of years, but who can blame him really. He'll be back though, the hard work was done and he loved all the protests! Can't wait for us to get back down there, not long now.
  • Options
    Nug said:

Swisdom said:

Swisdom said:

Rothko said:

When I first took my son he was maybe 4, always took a Nintendo DS to keep him busy. He grew to love Charlton, although has gone off it a bit in the last couple of years, but who can blame him really. He'll be back though, the hard work was done and he loved all the protests! Can't wait for us to get back down there, not long now.
    Daddy, why is everyone singing "Roland, Roland you're a c***?"
  • Options
    Swisdom said:

Swisdom said:

Rothko said:

My little man comes with the little man as well.
  • Options
    Rothko said:

Swisdom said:

Rothko said:

Then you need a better tariff
    I turn down the video quality to 480p
  • Options
    Nug said:

Swisdom said:

Swisdom said:

Rothko said:

My two used to do this, now I have to have them at gunpoint to come
  • Options

Makes you wonder how the world even turned without the dam internet, people just cant seem to do anything without it in this day and age sad times

Evening
  • Options

Makes you wonder how the world even turned without the dam internet, people just cant seem to do anything without it in this day and age sad times

Times change mate, for all the good the internet and lightspeed connectivity gives us it taketh away it's share too.

People's kids playing on ipads during a game doesn't bother me at all, even blokes dicking around with their phones doesn't fuss me, far better than bored kids wanting to go to the shitter all the time or get up and down like a yoyo for any one of a million other reasons and mum or dad or both get to enjoy the footballing feasts and all round match day experience you get in SE7 these days.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    In the days before internet I took our very young Grandson to the Valencia pre season friendly. Before the start he made friends with the guys behind us and they were trying to grab his hand as he reached from under his seat where he'd decided to sit. Once the game started he seem entertained mainly by the crowd and sometimes the pitch but resumed his position under the seat and entertained himself. On the final whistle the guys behind said bye to him, only to find he'd undone the laces on their shoes we were in the front row top tier of The Covered End. So iPads aren't so bad. ;)

• Options
    @AFKABartram You can’t buy a dongle for an iPad, I am presuming that it is WiFi only in the first place.

Best thing to do is to - having made sure you have sufficient data on your plan - turn on your phone to “Personal Hotspot” and then allow your child to connect their iPad to your phone via WiFi - they will need to type in your password.

You enable the ‘Personal Hotspot’ on your phone via “Settings > Connections” on an Android device and on Apple you will see it in the left hand menu.

Even if they are on You Tube for two hours straight they shouldn’t use more than 2GB whilst at the match, your plan should be able to deal with this.
  • Options
    Fumbluff said:

Nug said:

Swisdom said:

Swisdom said:

Rothko said:

My two used to do this, now I have to have them at gunpoint to come
    Your children clearly agree with the CARD boycott :smile:
  • Options
    You get a lot of bored young children at cricket matches, even T20s, but in the more open grounds at least there's plenty of space for them to run around in
  • Options
    CHeers @Ormiston Addick much appreciated. Didn’t know you could do that and that will be very helpful to us in other non WiFi areas.

Looks like I need a new data plan :-)
  • Options
    @AFKABartram if you have Sky go, you could also download direct to the iPad while at home.
  • Options

Why don't you Google it?
  • Options

@AFKABartram You can’t buy a dongle for an iPad, I am presuming that it is WiFi only in the first place.

Best thing to do is to - having made sure you have sufficient data on your plan - turn on your phone to “Personal Hotspot” and then allow your child to connect their iPad to your phone via WiFi - they will need to type in your password.

You enable the ‘Personal Hotspot’ on your phone via “Settings > Connections” on an Android device and on Apple you will see it in the left hand menu.

Even if they are on You Tube for two hours straight they shouldn’t use more than 2GB whilst at the match, your plan should be able to deal with this.

Sigh.
    Of course you can. You can buy any old 4g dongle and tether to that. Of course you need to buy some kind of sim to go in it so you need to weigh up the pros and cons of the data allowance on your phone and the money you’ll spend on a new sim contract (data only) plus a forty quid dongle but you absolutely can do it, it’s a lifesaver if you’re working somewhere shitty like Kuwait or somewhere cool like Cuba where roaming charges are bonkersenomenal...
  • Options
    Fumbluff said:

Sigh.
    Of course you can. You can buy any old 4g dongle and tether to that. Of course you need to buy some kind of sim to go in it so you need to weigh up the pros and cons of the data allowance on your phone and the money you’ll spend on a new sim contract (data only) plus a forty quid dongle but you absolutely can do it, it’s a lifesaver if you’re working somewhere shitty like Kuwait or somewhere cool like Cuba where roaming charges are bonkersenomenal...
    Sigh.

Why would you want to buy a 4G wireless modem for a child's iPad for two hours use every fortnight at Charlton when you can do exactly the same thing from the Smartphone and data plan you have already paid for?

• Sponsored links:

• Options

Fumbluff said:

Sigh.
    Sigh.

Why would you want to buy a 4G wireless modem for a child's iPad for two hours use every fortnight at Charlton when you can do exactly the same thing from the Smartphone and data plan you have already paid for?

Sigh.
    I’m not a dongle salesman, I don’t care what he does, I just answered the question for him.
    Correctly.
    You’re welcome :smile:
  • Options

CHeers @Ormiston Addick much appreciated. Didn’t know you could do that and that will be very helpful to us in other non WiFi areas.

Looks like I need a new data plan :-)

Let me know your password and I’ll test it for you
  • Options
    edited July 2018

People falling out over my dongle. This hasn’t happened since Aya Napa 1995

You sure that wasn't your dongle falling out over people?

BTW, at one stage I was looking to get a car which needed a data-only SIM and the recommended one was a no-contract jobbie which seemed to be cheaper from Amazon than the phone company. I'll see if I can find it.
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    Here you go it's called "internet with legs" from Three. (Seems more expensive now than when I looked last winter.) But unused data good for two years.
    https://amazon.co.uk/Three-Mobile-Pay-Broadband-Data-Black/dp/B01M3VJ2B2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1532555386&sr=8-1&keywords=internet+with+legs
  • Options

How many?
  • Options
    Personally I always thought the WiFi was useless, 4G on my phone is far better.

I too would also go down the tethering option than that of a dongle. Worst case scenario just upgrade your data allowance. Three are pretty good they allow you to top up to an unlimited package if you go over your allowance for an extra £5 a month.

Getting a dongle is far more hassle and expense IMO
  • Options
    Just tell your children they have to lump it, and watch the rubbish football like the rest of us

They'll thank you in 30 years when we're the top club in the land, winning stacks of Champions Leagues, as they'll be able to prove they're not glory boys.

"I was there when we lost 2-0 to Wycombe Wanderers in front of 5500. They even turned the free wifi off!"
  • Options
    I’m surprised so many saying the 4G is so good. I’m with o2 and it’s appalling in the lower west. I’m the account holder for my betting syndicate and the amount of times we’ve lost money because I can’t get on Sky Bet and cash out. Caused so many agitations

As for kids playing of iPads and PSP’s, I remember taking a tennis ball with me when they were building the east stand and playing goalie squash whilst the games were going on. Guess it’s just the modern day equivalent
  • Options

Funnily enough @JohnBoyUK posts on here as well.