Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

JT Murray

John Murray the former Middlesex and England wicketkeeper has died aged 83. He was a stylish keeper and useful bat but lost his place to the young Alan Knott in 1967 and never regained it. He held the world record for 1st Class dismissals by a keeper for over a decade.
I remember him playing for Middlesex into the 70's in the old JPL.
@LenGlover

Comments

• Options
    Yes, I saw that earlier. I remember him well, as my dad supported Middx.
    He took me to a number of JPL games at Lords in the 70's. RIP.
  • Options
    RIP John.
    Excellant wicketkeeper
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    Saw him play once in his final season. It was my first visit to Lords, 1975 B&H Final Middlesex v Leicestershire (Leicestershire won fairly easily). His last game was the 1975 Gillette Cup Final v Lancashire (also a sound defeat).

Some younger Middlesex players remember him as part of a clique with Peter Parfitt and Fred Titmus that dominated the club in the late 60s/early 70s. The culture was changed by Mike Brearley, as he encouraged young players to make their opinions heard and suddenly a host of young players blossomed (Graham Barlow, Ian Gould, Phil Edmonds, Mike Gatting, John Emburey etc).

John Murray was often seen at Lords thereafter and his name sits on the Middlesex page of my autograph book. He was out of the very top drawer as a wicket-keeper and had a marvellous understanding with Fred Titmus (akin to the Knott/Underwood collaboration). He's almost certainly the best wicket-keeper Middlesex have ever had.

• Options
    He was the England keeper when I first started to take an interest in the game. Jim Parks of Sussex was regarded as a better batsman if not so good a keeper and he and Murray were in and out of the test team during the 60s, the selectors just could not make up their minds

R I P
  • Options
    RIP JT will always remember him for a partnership with Tom graveney at the oval v Windies in 66 and a then record number of caught behinds the following season v India

Really solid dependable cricketer
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    Riviera said:

John Murray the former Middlesex and England wicketkeeper has died aged 83. He was a stylish keeper and useful bat but lost his place to the young Alan Knott in 1967 and never regained it. He held the world record for 1st Class dismissals by a keeper for over a decade.
    I remember him playing for Middlesex into the 70's in the old JPL.
    @LenGlover

Yes I remember him well.

He was a very good wicket keeper, particularly standing up to Titmus, and found himself competing with Keith Andrew of Northants, Jimmy Binks of Yorkshire and Jim Parks of Sussex for the England test slot.

Murray was a better batsman than Andrew and Binks and at least comparable as a wicket keeper but not as good a batsman as Jim Parks although a better wicket keeper. (In fairness to Parks his keeping did improve the more he played rather like Jonny Bairstow in this era).

England, as ever, loved a batting collapse in the sixties so the batting abilities of the wicket keeper were deemed as important as his wicket keeping.

JT Murray lost out as a result.

Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose.

EDIT: One further thought as to why Jim Parks may have been so often preferred to JT Murray in the Test team is that Ted Dexter was England captain and both Dexter and Parks played for Sussex so knew each other well.

• Options
    As a Middlesex CCC fan - probably the only one on here! - very sad news.

He was a true great for Middlesex - as John Emburey has said on the club's website "Losing JT is a devastating blow to Middlesex Cricket. He is undoubtedly the finest wicketkeeper in the history of the Club and would be one of the first names on any team sheet when picking an all-time Middlesex XI. What he achieved is unlikely to be repeated.

As Lincs says above, he played fewer Tests than he deserved, primarily because Jim Parks was considered to be a better batsman, even though widely acknowledged to be an inferior keeper.

RIP
  • Options
    Was at the game when he broke the world record. Opening day of Middlesex v Surrey in the County Championship at Lords in 1975 or 76. RIP.