Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

New captains named

2»

Comments

• Options
    Deji wore the armband the other day, so he will be a contender
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    While Pearce is injured, who does this? Deji seems to be made of the right stuff. I mentioned Williams but I don't think he'll play enough minutes. 
    Pratley will be up there... Amos or Phillips perhaps?
    Hopefully Pratley, especially as it's likely to be a very young team. Don't think it should be a keeper.
  • Options
    Pratley would be a fine choice but I don't know how many minutes he'll play either. He and Deji would make a good CB pairing for L1 though
  • Options
    FWIW, DO might be the best option in the immediate term when DP's not on the field.  But if DO's sporting the armband for many games it'll mean the squad's in terrible shape for far too long.  Him at CH even in L1 would be a very bad sign indeed.
  • Options
    Honestly don't think it matters. Pretty irrelevant in football. 
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    Pratley would be a fine choice but I don't know how many minutes he'll play either. He and Deji would make a good CB pairing for L1 though
    He played plenty of minutes in the last 9 games. It's not as if outfield captains have to play the whole game every week
  • Options
    Sorry RR have to disagree.....the right captain can inspire and drive his team-mates on. Pearce does that for us on many occasions.
    The likes of Pearce will do that inspiring, cajoling, and driving regardless of whether they're wearing the armband or not.

I agree that being named the club skipper is a largely ceremonial role and, on the pitch at least, is largely restricted to calling heads or tails (and then immediately pointing towards the Jimmy Seed Stand in home matches) but it should be considered an honour and treated with the reverence and respect that it deserves.
  • Options
    That's why I think giving it to someone like Deji would be a good idea - he's at an age where he's becoming a senior pro and he needs to be a founding rock of our team this season - captaincy would mark a really important moment in his career. As I say though, Pratley is probably the most natural choice 
  • Options
    Pratley a shoe-in for Club Captain.  He's the natural leader and it doesn't necessarily mean he has to be on the pitch.

I expect Pearce to be named Captain and maybe Deji or Gilbey as vice
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I think there is an art in making someone captain. 

Would someone like Pratley or Pearce be any more of a leader with or without the arm band?  I doubt it.

Could who ever is captain be inspired by it, raise their game and be another leader if they wouldn't be if they weren't captain?  Absolutely.

Could the wrong choice be over whelmed with characters like Pratley and Pearce and it have a negative effect? Almost certainly.

Striking that balance is really important. 

I don't think we have anyone like a Roy Keane who is such a dominant personality that he would over whelm anyone else that is captain. 
  • Options
    I think Gilbey could be a shout 
  • Options
    We need somebody vocal - like Solly......He been as vocal in his “retirement” as he was on the pitch...

All jokes aside, Pearce Team captain is pretty obvious, with the armband going to Pratley in his absence.

i don’t actually think having a Club Captain is necessary.
  • Options
    He who shall not be named used to thrive on the occasions he was made captain
  • Options
    Whilst Pearce is out...

Pratley
    Forster-Caskey
    Oshilaja
  • Options
    Pratley purely based on Wembley, I can vividly in my mind remember him telling people to calm down and focus after we conceded the OG. Sticks out to me as a captaincy moment 
  • Options
    edited September 2020
    MattF said:
    He who shall not be named used to thrive on the occasions he was made captain
    He did. I liked him being captain of the team.
  • Options
    edited September 2020
    You haven’t seen Harry Kane’s inspirational pep talks
  • Options
    LTKapal said:
    Pratley purely based on Wembley, I can vividly in my mind remember him telling people to calm down and focus after we conceded the OG. Sticks out to me as a captaincy moment 
    Then when a Sunderland player is hanging onto the ball Pratley walks over grabs the ball and pushes the guy over.

Ref then told him to calm down.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Reading this thread has brought it home really how weak we are in the department of natural leaders. 

Oshilaja......really...?