Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Albie Morgan - signed for Blackpool on a 3 year (+1 year option) deal (p54)

Comments

• Options
    Really pleased for him after the cock-up for Forest's second. And whoever's doing Blackpool's shooting coaching probably deserves a bonus - it's what, 4 in 3 games for him now?
  • Options
    but but we got better players since... haven't we??
  • Options
    And scores a worldy!
    Good goal, but in no way a worldie. 
  • Options
    Nice one Albie. Would be delighted if he really pushed on.
  • Options
    Desmond Tutu !
  • Options
    This is annoying, only away I can do is 27th grrrrr
  • Options
    but but we got better players since... haven't we??
    Terry McGrandles is far superior for the 5 minutes when he’s fit 
  • Options
    And scores a worldy!
    Good goal, but in no way a worldie. 
    Well, adequate anyway.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Albie playing football with a smile on his face. Looks like he’s finally beginning to enjoy himself 
  • Options
    Good to see he’s added goals to his game. Always thought he was the best striker of the ball in the team when he played with us. Seems he’s getting some proper coaching now to improve.
  • Options
    PopIcon said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    Said it many times Albie was underrated by Charlton and especially Charlton fans. We have had
    Gilby
    Payne
    Mcgrandles
    Fraser
    Campbell
    Lad from Ipswich 
    Taylor
    Anderson
    Shinnie
    L Watson

He was and is better than all plus wanted to play for the shirt.

We have supporters raving over a player on loan after 70 mins...........blind 
    So I disagree on Shinnie. 
    Me too, Shinnie was quality 
    Albie was dogshit in a Charlton shirt. I'd take half the players on that list over him. We've barely seen McGrandles...
    You described Maatsen similarly. What ever happened to him....? 

Are you on our scouting team?
  • Options
    Thought that last second free kick of Albie's was pretty typical - crashed into the first defender. 
  • Options
    Thought that last second free kick of Albie's was pretty typical - crashed into the first defender. 

His 4 good goals from the last 3 matches definitely wasn't typical of his time at Cafc.
    Albie being fit for the 130 minutes of the match definitely wasn't typical of Charlton players; some struggle to play 60 minutes.
  • Options
    If you read back I'd said numerous times when he was at the club that the general view was that his ability wasn't in question, one of the best shooters at the club, his issue was 1. consistency which can be worked on but 2. his lack of a high level football brain meaning he too often makes the wrong decision or arrives a second too late etc.

If the latter can be trained into him I think he's going to surprise an awful lot of people.
  • Options
    He was taking a shot, rather than crossing to be fair. 
  • Options
    Albie looks like he’s at his peak.
    hes in a reasonable Blackpool side, so he’s looking half decent.
    A less experienced Albie also looked decent in our promotion side when he was breaking through alongside aribo and Cullen..
    My issue is that in a pony side that we have now, he’d still struggle.
    Hes not a player that can drag others through.
    I think for all parties, his departure was the right move 
  • Options
    CafcSCP said:
    Albie looks like he’s at his peak.
    hes in a reasonable Blackpool side, so he’s looking half decent.
    A less experienced Albie also looked decent in our promotion side when he was breaking through alongside aribo and Cullen..
    My issue is that in a pony side that we have now, he’d still struggle.
    Hes not a player that can drag others through.
    I think for all parties, his departure was the right move 
    It was a good move for him, not necessarily a good move for us.
  • Options
    Thought he played really well tonight, much better than I ever remember seeing him play for us.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited January 18
    Cloudworm said:
    PopIcon said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    Said it many times Albie was underrated by Charlton and especially Charlton fans. We have had
    Gilby
    Payne
    Mcgrandles
    Fraser
    Campbell
    Lad from Ipswich 
    Taylor
    Anderson
    Shinnie
    L Watson

Albie was dogshit in a Charlton shirt. I'd take half the players on that list over him. We've barely seen McGrandles...

"Our scouting team".

Who does that consist of?
  • Options
    edited January 18
    Cloudworm said:
    PopIcon said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    Gilby
    Payne
    Mcgrandles
    Fraser
    Campbell
    Lad from Ipswich 
    Taylor
    Anderson
    Shinnie
    L Watson

"Our scouting team".

Who does that consist of?
    Appleton and Scott sitting having a pint and Mickey trying to recall midfielders he he used to coach at Lincoln.  

Edit - obviously the rest of the BLT (big leadership team) would be there too.  Rodwell probably playing darts with Methven 
  • Options
    He was taking a shot, rather than crossing to be fair. 
    Yeah, fair enough. 

I only watched the extra time, but when that free kick came up it was evident it would be the last move of the game, everyone was up for it and expectation was on Albie to make something of it. Either hit the target or at least deliver the ball to a danger area.  What he produced is how I remember him ... disappointing.

I don't begrudge Albie anything, if he is successful at Blackpool good luck to him, he was always a trier. 

Albie split opinions on here as the 61 pages testify.  For me though the Albie Morgan experiment went on far too long at Charlton, not that we've improved since his departure, but that's a different story.

• Options
    I'm surprised the usual suspects didn't blame this one on Morgan too. 4 people marking no one inside the 18 yard box - have they got our defensive coach?

• Options
    hermann said:
    A common theme of our mismanagement in recent years has been young players thrown in to soon and having their development knocked as a result. Through that period Albie worked hard and contributed, and never hid in a game. He was probably judged to a higher standard by fans (me included) than his age warranted because he came through so early.

Still only 23 - can see him having a really solid Championship career, and hope he does. 
    I do think that this is part of the issue. There is always an initial allowance for age but once a player is a regular part of the squad they are rightly more judged on the basis of what they produce on the pitch. Have they been afforded the opportunity to learn their game and make mistakes away from their parent club?

In the case of Albie, he had one month, as a 19 year old, at Ebbsfleet in the National League. He then came back to us and we were in the Championship. I'm not for one minute going to suggest that Albie will go as far in the game as Scott Parker but, by comparison, he had played 30 matches for us before Curbs decided that he needed "toughening up" and packed him off to Norwich. He came back a better player.

The difference between the two is that Parker was older and had more games under his belt with us before he was sent out on loan and the club he went to was playing at a level three tiers above National League. He and the Club already had a good idea what Parker needed to work on. I'm not sure that we knew that about Albie when we sent him to Ebsfleet or that the experience at that level really improved his game and perhaps he needed another spell at say League 2. Could we have afforded to do that?    
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    I'm surprised the usual suspects didn't blame this one on Morgan too. 4 people marking no one inside the 18 yard box - have they got our defensive coach?

One of the great mysteries to me is how did teams go from man marking in the box to zonal marking where players don't take responsibility for picking up players and this was a great example where only 3 of the 8 Blackpool players appear to be marking the 6 Forest shirts in the box. 
  • Options
    I hate zonal marking. With a passion. 

It's so much easier to man mark. Everyone has known responsibilities and you're less likely to get 4 blokes standing looking confused as they mark no one.
  • Options
    I believe he will prove the doubters wrong over time.
    He will if he improves.