Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Travellers Move In

Comments

• Options
    I think it's something to do with a law change in ROI that there seems to be a lot more about over here this year
  • Options

I think it's something to do with a law change in ROI that there seems to be a lot more about over here this year

they are clamping down massively and making the kids go to school etc, we think we have it bad here but some of the things you see in ireland are ridiculous trap racing down motorways, horses in pubs etc.
  • Options

There is a travellers site around the back of my flat. It's the new builds next to the cement yard in Charlton. They were there when we moved in, and up until recently we've never had any trouble. In fact not long ago one of their whippets got of his lead and I went round and took it back.

However the council have upped the anti trying to evict them (it's difficult as only part of the land is council owned, most of it is owned by the cement yard). Since then we've had cars getting egged, fires started in bin stores etc. I get that they don't pay their way, but it doesn't really seem worth all the hassle.

Is that the mob that had the swimming pool with artificial grass around it?
  • Options

cabbles said:

Having grown up in Brockley and now living in Peckham, never really been exposed to or think I’ve even met a traveller. Can only go on those gypsy wedding programmes

i done a bit of youth work in downham - not a million miles from brockley and the core of the white youth were settled traveller kids - absolute little bastards who refused to partake in anything apart from drapsing - which involved wrestling with each other.
    My secondary school (bonus pastor) was in downham. Funny mix because as you say a lot of white youth that went to our school plus a lot of kids from Lewisham who were black and other ethnicities. Can see the point others have made about the space they need etc so can imagine areas like that are sought after for them.

I guess the distinction as AFKA pointed out are the ones that get settled into the community and you can live among them. Definitely would hate to be anywhere near the ones I think as referred to as Tinkers. Sound like utter scum
  • Options
    The worst experience I had was when a load of them parked up in parking bays on some local roads near me and proceeded to trash the surrounding area and dump rubbish everywhere - they were there for weeks before they got moved on and obviously didn't clear anything up or be held liable for criminal damage.

I remain unclear why they are allowed to break laws constantly?
  • Options
    LenGlover said:

The worst experience I had was when a load of them parked up in parking bays on some local roads near me and proceeded to trash the surrounding area and dump rubbish everywhere - they were there for weeks before they got moved on and obviously didn't clear anything up or be held liable for criminal damage.

A celebration of diversity or some other politically correct bollocks presumably.

What else could it be?
    I'd love to hear the police explanation....
  • Options
    I imagine the police simply don't have the resources. You'd have to lock them all up on remand, because there's no way they'll just turn up for a court date otherwise. And I imagine the majority have no idea, no fixed abode, so how do you consistently and accurately identify them. For relatively minor crimes there is just no way the police are going to put in the extensive man hours and use up all the remand cell space.
  • Options

LenGlover said:

A celebration of diversity or some other politically correct bollocks presumably.

What else could it be?
    I'd love to hear the police explanation....
    Something like:
    I'm fining you
    I'm not paying it
    You'll have to go to court. Where do you live?
    .....I don't have an address.
    OH, right then. Carry on.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Can you tax /insure a vehicle with no fixed abode?
  • Options
    They are here for a big funeral which was delayed from last week to next week.
  • Options
    edited August 2018
    bobmunro said:

razil said:

Can you tax /insure a vehicle with no fixed abode?

Yes of course you can - my car moves all the time.

Even if you cannot the law states that cars must be insured and taxed if used or kept on the public highway..

A crime has still been committed which could be solved if the will was there to solve it.

Easier to go for working, fixed abode soft targets though. Keeps 'the rate' up.
  • Options
    As someone who has to all intents and purposes been law abiding and towed the line most of my life, as I get older I do have a sneaking admiration for anyone who just does not give a fuck!

If they moved next door and my processions started going missing that would be another thing of course.
  • Options
    Few years ago a doctor who I worked with (Consultant Oncologist) was literally run onto the hard shoulder of a slip road on the M20 near Maidstone by a white open back truck that just forced changing lanes. My friend tooted his horn and the truck stopped and two men got out. One swung a hammer at my friend luckily only catching him with a glancing blow to the cheek. (Only !!!!) They then shot off. Police were summoned and even though there were witnesses to the assault the Police showed little interest because the truck was registered to a known “tinker” They said it would be impossible to track him and even if they did the tinkers would close ranks and he would either disappear or have a multitude of alibis.

That’s why they are above the law.
  • Options
    edited August 2018

absolutely no need for them to be there plenty of legal sites all over the UK, they moved into martens grove park a few years back within weeks we had to put up with shit and piss all over the swing park, kids being beaten up, burglaries on the rise, general behaviour, racing horses and carts up and down the road. traditional irish/romany travellers are v respectful people - this mob on the other hand are likely pikey scum, that will rob anything they can - parasites.

You shouldn't refer to them as pikey scum. Just ask them, "Are you Gillingham or Millwall ?"

• Options
    This time it happened to me. Driving in Welling on the narrow road in front of the crescent of shops at the bottom of Welling Way / Belgrove Road. In front of the Tyre garage. A white van was parked having its tyres replaced with only enough room for a passing vehicle (me) to squeeze past. Two blokes were obstructing what was left of the road chatting. I stopped and waited. And waited and after at least two minutes ( doesn’t sound long ) I gave a short toot. At this one of the men turned who I can only describe as a white shirt and jeans wearing Urangutang abused the fuck out of me and was gesticulating that we should get it on and he was going to punch the shit out of me. For some reason I wasn’t that bothered and after locking the car doors I managed to squeeze past. Now I have know way of confirming his heritage but he sounded Irish and had that brogue to his accent I’ve heard from the tinker community. With hindsight the ape had a lucky escape.
  • Options
    Have rocked up at Norman Park apparently. That Bromley wide injunction is working well.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

There is a travellers site around the back of my flat. It's the new builds next to the cement yard in Charlton. They were there when we moved in, and up until recently we've never had any trouble. In fact not long ago one of their whippets got of his lead and I went round and took it back.

However the council have upped the anti trying to evict them (it's difficult as only part of the land is council owned, most of it is owned by the cement yard). Since then we've had cars getting egged, fires started in bin stores etc. I get that they don't pay their way, but it doesn't really seem worth all the hassle.

Is that the mob that had the swimming pool with artificial grass around it?
    Not sure, haven't seen it myself, but I have heard a pool mentioned. Supposedly they've been there for 20 years, so I can't see them moving on anytime soon.
  • Options
    edited August 2018
    Carlton Road, Sidcup? I suppose this means the feckers will be clogging up the Sidcup line on their way to work.
  • Options
    About a dozen caravans rocked up yesterday on the green by the side of the Buff Orpington pub.

Area is already covered in rubbish.
    Utter scum
  • Options
    Their vehicles are mostly insured. Many of them are too valuable not to be. I am led to believe that the NFU does a lot of traveller vehicle insurance.

By way of comparison, a firm like Adrian Flux will do a 365-day europe-wide insurance for motorhomes ,etc. Clearly, there's no fixed abode in cases like that and the insurers most know it!
  • Options
    edited August 2018

cabbles said:

Having grown up in Brockley and now living in Peckham, never really been exposed to or think I’ve even met a traveller. Can only go on those gypsy wedding programmes

Does seem to be a big rise in South East London / North Kent in what VG describes in tinkers in recent years. Growing up there was always been a strong traveller-background community, particularly around places like Erith, Belvedere, Foots Cray etc, but these were 'settled' ones and very much integrated into wider society.

Seems to be a lot more tinkers and their vans about lately
    Romany Gypsies around our way are setltled, send their kids to school (on the most part) and intergrate into the community. Got many friends and even family with Romany connections and in the most part, they are good people with strong loyalties. But the ones that cause the agg, go robbing, make a mess and then fuck off are tinkers, the Irish accent gives them away.
  • Options
    edited August 2018
    cafcfan said:

Their vehicles are mostly insured. Many of them are too valuable not to be. I am led to believe that the NFU does a lot of traveller vehicle insurance.

By way of comparison, a firm like Adrian Flux will do a 365-day europe-wide insurance for motorhomes ,etc. Clearly, there's no fixed abode in cases like that and the insurers most know it!

It's a common misconception that all travellers drive around in untaxed, uninsured, unroadworthy vehicles, because it suits the conspiracy that they are 'above the law'.

They come into contact with the police on an almost daily basis who, in my experience, are quite keen to disrupt the activities of travellers on their patch should the opportunity arise.

They also often on commercial hire agreements and the vehicles are usually quite new too. They will have an address at which their vehicles are registered, often their own house or another convenient address owned by a friend or associate. Many of these travellers are making an awful lot of money. Many do not see themselves as part of the wider society and behave on that basis, true enough and that winds me up as much as the next person. But they are not too poor, or too stupid, to give the police an own goal to nick them for driving around in an old heap without tax or insurance...it's just not worth the grief for a few £100 they can earn in an hour.

Some will though, just like in the wider community.
  • Options
    edited August 2018

Few years ago a doctor who I worked with (Consultant Oncologist) was literally run onto the hard shoulder of a slip road on the M20 near Maidstone by a white open back truck that just forced changing lanes. My friend tooted his horn and the truck stopped and two men got out. One swung a hammer at my friend luckily only catching him with a glancing blow to the cheek. (Only !!!!) They then shot off. Police were summoned and even though there were witnesses to the assault the Police showed little interest because the truck was registered to a known “tinker” They said it would be impossible to track him and even if they did the tinkers would close ranks and he would either disappear or have a multitude of alibis.

That’s why they are above the law.

The police and authorities are at fault here - they've made a decision not to enforce the law. Just because something is difficult to enforce shouldn't mean that they just give up.

Why are untaxed/uninsured vehicles left on the road?

If you allow a group to constantly break the law and they're not held to account because they're a bit intimidating then unsurprisingly their behaviour will get worse. It's effectively sticking two fingers up to the rest of the population.
    Yes and no. In a perfect world where the government funded the police properly and time and resources didn’t need prioritising in order to get “best value” in terms of Prosecutions. Other than that it’s a sad fact that low level crime that is time consuming in investigating and uncertain in outcome won’t get done. Most of us would agree that burglary is a serious crime. It is yet some forces are not routinely attending. It’s really quite shocking.

Not trying to make a political point but Police Forces under this current Conservative government have been cut to the bone.

• Options

As someone who has to all intents and purposes been law abiding and towed the line most of my life, as I get older I do have a sneaking admiration for anyone who just does not give a fuck!

Really? As I grow older and see their lack of morale compass it makes me more and more angry.

It'll get to a point soon where people kick back which will get messy.
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:

Really? As I grow older and see their lack of morale compass it makes me more and more angry.

It'll get to a point soon where people kick back which will get messy.
    Yeh really! I do say it with guilt though. The traveller kids that come through my place just do not give a flying about anything, anyone or any law. AND you are right about it pervading into mainstream society as well.

I think it may be a deep seated fantasy on my part to be able to say "fuck you" to society and it's constructs, when of course in real life I would not say boo to a goose...
  • Options

cabbles said:

Does seem to be a big rise in South East London / North Kent in what VG describes in tinkers in recent years. Growing up there was always been a strong traveller-background community, particularly around places like Erith, Belvedere, Foots Cray etc, but these were 'settled' ones and very much integrated into wider society.

Seems to be a lot more tinkers and their vans about lately
    Romany Gypsies around our way are setltled, send their kids to school (on the most part) and intergrate into the community. Got many friends and even family with Romany connections and in the most part, they are good people with strong loyalties. But the ones that cause the agg, go robbing, make a mess and then fuck off are tinkers, the Irish accent gives them away.
    the shit haircuts too