Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

CAFC staff cuts

Apologies if this has been discussed before but a mate of a mate got laid off from Charlton yesterday due to the obvious fall in income. But what i don't get is we’ll still be a similar sized club with the same amount of supporters (almost 18k have renewed season tickets), so attendances won’t be down by that much, and we’ll even have 8 more games and the club will still be run in pretty much the same way, just with less tv coverage, so if we can make do with 2-300 less people then why were they there in the first place?

Comments

• Options
    TV Revenue
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: CharltonDan[/cite]TV Revenue

I'm with Chris. I don't think the 2-300 people were there to do the accounting on the extra TV revenue....

Feel for the people who've lost out through this (unfortunately those at the club who were least to blame) and am certainly not digging the club either but I'm confused as to what the big difference will be in terms of manpower required for the day to day running of the club?
  • Options
    WSSWSS
    edited June 2007
    [cite]Posted By: Chris_from_Sidcup[/cite]Apologies if this has been discussed before but a mate of a mate got laid off from Charlton yesterday due to the obvious fall in income. But what i don't get is we’ll still be a similar sized club with the same amount of supporters (almost 18k have renewed season tickets), so attendances won’t be down by that much, and we’ll even have 8 more games and the club will still be run in pretty much the same way, just with less tv coverage, so if we can make do with 2-300 less people then why were they there in the first place?

I think it's "only" 100 people laid off but yes it has been discussed before here:

http://www.charltonlife.com/forum/comments.php?DiscussionID=8000&page=1#Item_29
  • Options
    Obviously they weren't there to do that!!!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: WSS[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Chris_from_Sidcup[/cite]Apologies if this has been discussed before but a mate of a mate got laid off from Charlton yesterday due to the obvious fall in income. But what i don't get is we’ll still be a similar sized club with the same amount of supporters (almost 18k have renewed season tickets), so attendances won’t be down by that much, and we’ll even have 8 more games and the club will still be run in pretty much the same way, just with less tv coverage, so if we can make do with 2-300 less people then why were they there in the first place?

I think it's "only" 100 people laid off but yes it has been discussed before here:

http://www.charltonlife.com/forum/comments.php?DiscussionID=8000&page=1#Item_29

Nice one Smudge
  • Options
    Not sure where people are getting 100, 200 or 300 from?

Not going into details or individual cases but nothing like that many full time staff.
  • Options
    we employed something like 230 full-time staff, so we won't be nearly halving that.

We also employ something like 530 part time staff, but seeing as koisk, bars and lounges will still need to staffed, and the community work is largely self-funded, security, parking attendants etc won't be changing, i'm not sure where most of the cuts will come from.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]Not sure where people are getting 100, 200 or 300 from?

Not going into details or individual cases but nothing like that many full time staff.

Would make a lot more sense. I can see how we might scale back on some commercial activities and there's probably some details in the Sky contract that are a bit more labour intensive but ultimately can't see how it'd cost anything like the number of jobs being mentioned above.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]Not sure where people are getting 100, 200 or 300 from?

Maybe you just don't get told the important stuff Henry...

...100 people isnt that many surely?

I thought 16m had to be made up across the whole business? Even if you sack 100 people who on average earn £30,000 thats only £3,000,000.

Obviously is Bent goes then this helps but there is still an awful lot of money to be made up
  • Options
    that 100 won't average £30k, it will be lower than that.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Yeah bloke i know was on way less than 30k and he was full time.
  • Options
    WSSWSS
    edited June 2007
    [cite]Posted By: AFKA Bartram[/cite]that 100 won't average £30k, it will be lower than that.
    So even more cuts surely?

Or are we going to operate like a Premiership club in a league where you £30m odd less? Doubt it.

And it is a shame that people with kids and mortgages are getting let go (imagine having that job telling them) especially as they have not done anything wrong themselves but it is surely a calculated risk you take when you join a football club in any capacity?
  • Options

Maybe you just don't get told the important stuff Henry...

...100 people isnt that many surely?

I thought 16m had to be made up across the whole business? Even if you sack 100 people who on average earn £30,000 thats only £3,000,000.

Obviously is Bent goes then this helps but there is still an awful lot of money to be made up

This is real people with real familes, mortgages, bills etc we are talking about. Can we just bear that in mind please guys.

Unfortunately I do get to hear the "important" stuff. Sometimes I would feel better if I didn't.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]This is real people with real familes, mortgages, bills etc we are talking about. Can we just bear that in mind please guys.

Unfortunately I do get to hear the "important" stuff. Sometimes I would feel better if I didn't.
    Nobody is saying that these people deserve to be made redundant Henry but it is a fact of life and as i mentioned earlier it is a risk that you should know (or be made aware of) when you choose to take a job at a football club.
  • Options
    Sink this Thread Now, I know If I was one of the people laid off I'd not apprecaitae reading it on a Message Board.
  • Options
    Just my calculations,

but we have possibly saved around £7.1m off the wage bill from the playing squad from what has already left, or about to leave at the end of the calendar month. Most (not all) other players will be on contracts that will see their pay fall in the coming season, this will generate another £2-4m in savings. The impending sale of Darren Bent will shed another £1.5m, another couple of high earners may also leave and its easy to see where the £16m has been generated.

I estimate the savings from non-playing staff to be around £1m-1.5m.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]
    [cite].
    This is real people with real familes, mortgages, bills etc we are talking about. Can we just bear that in mind please guys.

I just hope that wasters like Marcus Bent and JFH spare a thought for the people who's lives are up in the air at the moment. Something tells me they won't give a sh*t though.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Ketman[/cite]Sink this Thread Now, I know If I was one of the people laid off I'd not apprecaitae reading it on a Message Board.

I don't see anything wrong in discussing this.

I have not seen anything disparaging to those who have sadly lost their job, no individuals mentioned, in fact all our sympathies are we those who have lost their jobs, and its criminal that the non-effort by some high-earning players mid-season played a massive part in innocent people losing their job.

But working for a football club is a volatile existance, and that non-playing staff are sadly in the firing line when a club is relegated is one of those horrible facts.

Good luck to everyone who may of been effected and are reading this.