Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Best designed thing you own?

2»

Comments

• Options
    addick05 said:

Missed It said:

My Fisher Space Pen. It'll write in zero-g, at -30 degrees, underwater, but mainly just in the office.

Heard the story about how the Yanks spent millions on designing a pen that would write in space - the Russians just used pencils!!
    Urban myth.

If a pencil breaks in zero gravity, the graphite broken off can cause a short circuit in the electronics.

• Options
    The W.C. Best invention ever. Perfect design, foolproof and has reduced disease worldwide.
  • Options
    I'm with Bob. My Rolex.
  • Options

bobmunro said:

A number of my watches (they are my guilty pleasure) by a certain Swiss brand. Supremely engineered, faultless quality and classic timeless designs.

I W C what you mean there ;)

Cryptic clue

The beginning of two sheds and a former partner (5)
  • Options
    bobmunro said:

bobmunro said:

A number of my watches (they are my guilty pleasure) by a certain Swiss brand. Supremely engineered, faultless quality and classic timeless designs.

I W C what you mean there ;)

Cryptic clue

The beginning of two sheds and a former partner (5)
    I hate crosswords.

I do hope you are not referring to PP as this is good design that is owned not merely held to pass on for the next generation.
  • Options
    My bottle green Schneider of Salzburg Loden overcoat.

• Options
    Boring but a professional set of slim, ratcheting spanners my wife bought me a few years ago. Don’t use them all the time but when I do, they’re a godsend. My old man always said to buy the best quality tools whenever possible and he was dead right.

Same goes for my torque wrench.
  • Options
    My Tohatsu 3.5hp two stroke outboard. Light, reliable, quiet, simple to maintain and economical.
  • Options
    Addickted said:

The W.C. Best invention ever. Perfect design, foolproof and has reduced disease worldwide.

Why haven’t you got one then?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Because I've got three.
  • Options

Boring but a professional set of slim, ratcheting spanners my wife bought me a few years ago. Don’t use them all the time but when I do, they’re a godsend. My old man always said to buy the best quality tools whenever possible and he was dead right.

Same goes for my torque wrench.

I had a nightmare changing a wheel a few years back, with jammed wheel nuts and ended up shearing the end off the factory supplied wheel wrench that came with the car. Went out in the following week and bought an extendable wrench for about £40. Only ever had to use it once since then and that was just before Christmas when the same happened in the pissing down rain on a toll road here, would never have cracked the nuts without it and woulda paid £400 for it on that particular night.

Also handy in a road rage application
  • Options
    Ford Mondeo. The least impressive but best designed car ever.
  • Options
    edited August 2018
    Addickted said:

Because I've got three.

All blocked last I heard!
  • Options

My wallet - never been out of my pocket.

I thought that was my line.
  • Options
    Electronic clothes horse.
  • Options
    Never really liked Rolex after picking up a perfectly decent working one in Thailand that was indistinguishable from an original until I foolishly took it diving. Not waterproof.

Still since then the vast array of rip offs and copies have put me off.

Never owned an original one though so may well be irrational prejudice.
  • Options
    My Dualit classic toaster. Handbuilt in the UK since 1950s with hardly a design change since that you'd notice. Utterly reliable for over 15 years. But if anything did go wrong, it's all repairable/replaceable. I'm expecting it will see me out.
    A superb piece of kit.
  • Options
    cafcfan said:

My Dualit classic toaster. Handbuilt in the UK since 1950s with hardly a design change since that you'd notice. Utterly reliable for over 15 years. But if anything did go wrong, it's all repairable/replaceable. I'm expecting it will see me out.
    A superb piece of kit.

Agreed. What's more my brother in law runs the manufacturing operation so I get 45% off :)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Riviera said:

Two Ralph Lauren long sleeve cotton shirts a colleague bought for me in New York in the early 90's. Such quality, nothing like the crap you get these days from outlet stores and the like. One pink and one lilac, still wear them today.

Just to be clear - is that "I" still wear them or "my sons" still wear them. I only ask because, like many of us, I seem to recall you being perhaps a size more "athletic" in the early 90s.
  • Options
    bobmunro said:

cafcfan said:

A superb piece of kit.

Agreed. What's more my brother in law runs the manufacturing operation so I get 45% off :)
    Cushty.