Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Players Marks and the Referee

For the next 4 league matches I shall ask for a mark on the performance of the referee to see if it is something that is of interest and if it provides a meaningful stat. After the 4 matches we'll see if it is worth doing for the rest of the season.

Comments

• Options
  • Options
    ....in any order
  • Options

Nice one, Lancs. I'll find it interesting.

Over a season, it'll give us our own useful guide to each ref and their performance.

• Options
    I think it would be quite interesting, notoriously we have always had bad refs even back in the Prem but would add a new dimensions on the stats.

Ref - 0 - Total wanker, fat slob, wearing the wrong colours :wink:
  • Options
    edited August 2018
    Negative bias dependent on our result will probably be even more extreme than with the players marks. Also trying to get people to use the full scale accurately will be a challenge! E.g. Referee basically gets a 0-2, or a 7, or a 10 (if gives us 2x pens).

Which is another point... if a referee books one of our players instead of giving a red when they should, or doesn't award a pen against us when they should - will we score that negatively because it's poor refereeing? Probably not.

So is it the referee's performance we're scoring... or the referee's performance for us?

My only point there is it may be worth putting a short definition of referee scoring out there first? I think it'll be interesting though - if nothing else it'll identify referees that have absolute stinkers against us like that wanker on Tuesday night.
  • Options
    good idea
  • Options
    edited August 2018

Negative bias dependent on our result will probably be even more extreme than with the players marks. Also trying to get people to use the full scale accurately will be a challenge! E.g. Referee basically gets a 0-2, or a 7, or a 10 (if gives us 2x pens).

Which is another point... if a referee books one of our players instead of giving a red when they should, or doesn't award a pen against us when they should - will we score that negatively because it's poor refereeing? Probably not.

So is it the referee's performance we're scoring... or the referee's performance for us?

My only point there is it may be worth putting a short definition of referee scoring out there first? I think it'll be interesting though - if nothing else it'll identify referees that have absolute stinkers against us like that wanker on Tuesday night.

I'd hope that most people will score the referee based on his overall performance rather than just for us

e.g. Would certainly give the referee credit if he booked someone like Grant for diving