Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Palace away first game of the season

edited June 2007 in General Charlton
Apparently the met police, and both clubs, are keen to get this fixture out the way at the start of the season, whilst people are still on holiday and the football season has properly yet to kick in.

The return game at The Valley is scheduled for midweek 15/16th January.

Comments

• Options
    you're on a wind up arent you!? first the shirts now this!!

My best mate works for Croydon police though and does all Palace home gomes. If i hear anything concrete i'll let everyone know!
  • Options
    how good are your sources.
  • Options
    with the amount of holes in the Arthur Wait roof, we should get a good suntan !
  • Options
    If this is true then wouldn't it be selected for Sky? So it'll be friday night or a midday sunday kick off?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: AFKA Bartram[/cite]with the amount of holes in the Arthur Wait roof, we should get a good suntan !
    Never as good as Jordan's though...
  • Options
    i had heard something similar so im wondering if the news had come from the same place.
    i cant see it stopping those that want to go to go regardless how early on in the season.
  • Options
    it'll have to be Valley Gold ticket priority as well because there will be no previous away games to base it on...
  • Options
    Would be gutted as I'm in Italy but if the Police say it then fair enough.
  • Options
    When is the first game? Aug 11 or 18?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: WSS[/cite]it'll have to be Valley Gold ticket priority as well because there will be no previous away games to base it on...

Was one of the points Charlton apparently put forward to Palace a fortnight ago. That way there is less chance of the more volatile elements getting tickets.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    How many will they give us? 3k? 4k? Anyone who wants to go will easily get a ticket.
  • Options
    Is it true that the Charlton fans will be in the Sainsbury's end as the police find it easier to control the fans?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: AFKA Bartram[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: WSS[/cite]it'll have to be Valley Gold ticket priority as well because there will be no previous away games to base it on...

Was one of the points Charlton apparently put forward to Palace a fortnight ago. That way there is less chance of the more volatile elements getting tickets.
    Ha ha. I don't know whether to believe you or not now!

If it does happen though i'm going to be so so excited. Have to ring to the orange wig people sooner than i was planning
  • Options
    I bet we don't end up playing them until December then again in January
  • Options
    Better not be as Im on Honeymoon!!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]Is it true that the Charlton fans will be in the Sainsbury's end as the police find it easier to control the fans?

Apparently we will have the normal corner of the Arthur Wait.

Palace are yet to decide whether to give us the middle section, due to the small numbers we took there last time. I suspect they won't.
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Surely though, if you want to avoid any potential trouble between two clubs (and I don't think that is necessarily the case here) then you do not schedule them as the first fixture of the season, thereby giving them all summer to make "plans" !!

I refer you to Cardiff - Milwall about three years back.
  • Options
    bloody hell that's brightened up my average tuesday... bring it on!
  • Options
    You can 'make plans' whenever you like. But crowds historically are smaller on the opening day of the season and in the rest of August, than from September onwards, and the police have found the opening day of the season an easier one to police in the past.
  • Options
    Giving it some thought this could be good news for us as at least the players will be up for it and wont have any of that "we're on loan to this league" mentality that can hit teams when the 1st come down
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    There's no way it'd be a 3pm saturday kick off anyway. It'll get moved for sky.
  • Options
    Could be a gruelling January, particularly if we have players away for the Africans Cup.

The FA Cup 3rd round is a week later this season, 12/1. If we draw that game then the reply will be w/b 21st so that means we could have fixtures on:

5/1 12/1 15-16/1 19/1 then a replay on 22-23/1.
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: AFKA Bartram[/cite][quote][cite]Posted By: WSS[/cite]it'll have to be Valley Gold ticket priority as well because there will be no previous away games to base it on...[/quote]

Was one of the points Charlton apparently put forward to Palace a fortnight ago. That way there is less chance of the more volatile elements getting tickets.[/quote]

Valley Gold won't make a difference, people will go whether they have a ticket or not. It won't stop the majority that are banned also.
  • Options
    there aren't 3/4 k with valley gold anyway are there?
  • Options
    Look what Henry posted about 10 minutes before this thread was started....

Linky
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: F-Blocker[/cite]Look what Henry posted about 10 minutes before this thread was started....

coincidence, can assure you i didn't hear it from any police source.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: F-Blocker[/cite]Look what Henry posted about 10 minutes before this thread was started....

Linky

Nice to know someone reads my posts : - )
  • Options

Linky

You must be the only person who reads his posts mate
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Shag[/cite]

Linky

You must be the only person who reads his posts mate

LOL - just checked the posts to read ratio and mine is 1:7, the fourth highest behind MCS, AFKA and DJ Davey Dave so can't be all that bad.
  • Options
    much more likely to be 11am boxing I reckon.