Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Billy Clarke

Comments

• Options

Needs must

Excellent player with a brain who I'll be sad to see go.

But Bowyer has been given a budget. Maxwell and Williams replace Steer and Ward so to free up funds Ajose (no loss) and maybe Clarke go.

If that is reinvested in another striker then that is the juggling trick that Bowyer has to make a call on.

So far he's got it right, long may it continue.

Needs must

But Bowyer has been given a budget. Maxwell and Williams replace Steer and Ward so to free up funds Ajose (no loss) and maybe Clarke go.

If that is reinvested in another striker then that is the juggling trick that Bowyer has to make a call on.

This, we should trust Bowyer. We are looking at 2 players per position and a squad of 22. We have a midfielder we can let go to bring in a striker given it’s clearly 1 in 1 out
  • Options

Back to Bradford maybe

I doubt it. My Bradford mate reckons they were pretty happy that he left.
  • Options

Needs must

I'm not even sure that finances are the only driver, as I suspect Bowyer doesn't "fancy" him for the way he wants us to play. Despite our injury issues over the last few weeks, he's made no league appearances.
  • Options
    I trust bowyers judgement on this and if moving him on frees so budget for a forward then so be it

Was brilliant for us in Robinson’s system and we did miss him once injured when Robinson carried on with the system

Oldham away he was brilliant
  • Options
    When Reeves and Williams both get injured in the first game in February this won’t look such a smart move, but that’s the reality of life under Poundland - always one player short.

I’ll admit, I’m one of the few who wasn’t totally taken in by his performances last season but that’s not to say he looked a poor player and the system we play would appear to suit him.

Getting a striker in is a higher priority though, so if someone must make way he’ll probably be the easiest to shift as we can presumably just let another club take on the remainder of his contract. Two players out to get one in is not ideal though.
  • Options

When Reeves and Williams both get injured in the first game in February this won’t look such a smart move, but that’s the reality of life under Poundland - always one player short.

I’ll admit, I’m one of the few who wasn’t totally taken in by his performances last season but that’s not to say he looked a poor player and the system we play would appear to suit him.

Getting a striker in is a higher priority though, so if someone must make way he’ll probably be the easiest to shift as we can presumably just let another club take on the remainder of his contract. Two players out to get one in is not ideal though.

Hardly. No club would expect to have THREE players for every position. And we could still play Fosu in the position anyway.
  • Options

Hardly. No club would expect to have THREE players for every position. And we could still play Fosu in the position anyway.
    3 injury prone players.
  • Options
    edited January 2019
    I just don't think he fits bowyers system and perhaps he hadn't got back to where he was after such a bad injury. with our budget restrictions, if bowyer can shift him out and get another body in it's good business. if we had the finance to keep him and wait for him to get fit then that would be great, but we're a league 1 club now and can't.
  • Options

We've added Purrington, so if Clarke goes and a striker comes in it's still four in (Maxwell, Purrington, Williams, striker) and four out (Steer, Clarke, Ward, Ajose).

That would be a better balanced squad. We've got to hope our key players don't get injured, but that's the same for every club in our league. We've got a decent number of options in midfield with a few youngsters that are good enough to fill in when needed.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Scoham said:

3 injury prone players.
    Isn't that often the choice in this league? Someone with more quality such as Williams is available because of his injury record. I'd rather take a chance on him than go with fit but mediocre players like Crofts and Foley as Slade did.

I wouldn't call Fosu injury prone either, most players will pick up injuries at some point over a season. A player isn't injury prone just because they didn't stay fit all season.
    I don’t disagree. Williams over Croft’s any day of the week, but the three players I’m referring to are Reeves, Clarke and Williams.

It’s entirely conceivable for 2 of those 3 to be out at anytime. A genuinely properly funded squad going for promotion would be able to keep those three AND have more than two senior strikers.

That isn’t our reality right know, and as I said above getting a striker is more important than keeping Clarke but we should be able to do both half way through a season which has potential to end well.
  • Options
    edited January 2019
    If someone has to leave it makes sense that it should be Billy Clarke. Attacking midfield is a position we are strong with Williams, Reeves, Fosu and even Aribo who can operate in that position.

Both Lapslie and Morgan deserve opportunities to be involved in the squad until the rest of the season, and if Bowyer believes that Clarke isn’t good enough to be 1st or 2nd choice then he should let him leave.

Only real concern is that we will have let Clarke and Ajose leave and replacing them with a loan player who will depart at the end of the season. Would prefer a permanent transfer, but very unlikely.
  • Options
    I really like Clarke and don’t want him to go.

Fair enough if you have someone better signed up but given that Williams has a bad injury record, Reeves being similar, Fosu inconsistent and Aribo still may move in the window last minute, I’d say we need to keep everyone until the end of the season if we are serious about promotion.
  • Options
    edited January 2019

Scoham said:

3 injury prone players.
    Isn't that often the choice in this league? Someone with more quality such as Williams is available because of his injury record. I'd rather take a chance on him than go with fit but mediocre players like Crofts and Foley as Slade did.

I wouldn't call Fosu injury prone either, most players will pick up injuries at some point over a season. A player isn't injury prone just because they didn't stay fit all season.
    I don’t disagree. Williams over Croft’s any day of the week, but the three players I’m referring to are Reeves, Clarke and Williams.

It’s entirely conceivable for 2 of those 3 to be out at anytime. A genuinely properly funded squad going for promotion would be able to keep those three AND have more than two senior strikers.

That isn’t our reality right know, and as I said above getting a striker is more important than keeping Clarke but we should be able to do both half way through a season which has potential to end well.
    I know some like to exclude Igor because he spends most of his time out injured, but we’re paying his wages and he’s part of the squad. Given he signed in 2014 for a big fee he’s going to be one of our highest earners. Add a loan striker that gives us four senior strikers.

I agree we should do more but it’s not going to happen while Roland’s here. We’re not far off two players per position. With those 3 out and everyone else fit we could still have a strong midfield of:

Bielik
    Cullen Aribo
    Fosu

With two of Pratley, Marshall, Morgan or Lapslie on the bench, and further cover from Dijksteel and Maloney.

Add in Williams and Reeves you could argue that’s enough midfielders even for a properly funded squad.

When Roland does sell I don’t think we’ll see squads that much bigger than this, maybe 1 or 2 extra players, neither will we have squads without injury prone players.
  • Options
    Scoham said:

Scoham said:

3 injury prone players.

I know some like to exclude Igor because he spends most of his time out injured, but we’re paying his wages and he’s part of the squad. Given he signed in 2014 for a big fee he’s going to be one of our highest earners. Add a loan striker that gives us four senior strikers.

I agree we should do more but it’s not going to happen while Roland’s here. We’re not far off two players per position. With those 3 out and everyone else fit we could still have a strong midfield of:

Bielik
    Cullen Aribo
    Fosu

With two of Pratley, Marshall, Morgan or Lapslie on the bench, and further cover from Dijksteel and Maloney.

Add in Williams and Reeves you could argue that’s enough midfielders even for a properly funded squad.

When Roland does sell I don’t think we’ll see squads that much bigger than this, maybe 1 or 2 extra players, neither will we have squads without injury prone players.
    Which was exactly my point.
  • Options

Needs must

Despite our injury issues over the last few weeks, he's made no league appearances.
    Although Clarke himself was out with a thigh injury for a much of that period.

• Options

Scoham said:

Scoham said:

3 injury prone players.

Bielik
    Cullen Aribo
    Fosu

I agree that 4 in 3 out was probably what we needed. We will probably be one short on paper but midfield still has by far the strongest numbers
  • Options

I really like Clarke and don’t want him to go.

Fair enough if you have someone better signed up but given that Williams has a bad injury record, Reeves being similar, Fosu inconsistent and Aribo still may move in the window last minute, I’d say we need to keep everyone until the end of the season if we are serious about promotion.

If you are talking injury records you need look no further than Clarke, his Charlton career has barely got started.
  • Options

Scoham said:

Scoham said:

3 injury prone players.

Bielik
    Cullen Aribo
    Fosu

Fair enough, but if you could add one or two players would you want more midfielders? I’d rather add two strikers, or a striker and attacking right back.
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:

Needs must

Despite our injury issues over the last few weeks, he's made no league appearances.

Been on the bench for the last 3 matches though, but never used
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Oggy Red said:

Needs must

Been on the bench for the last 3 matches though, but never used
    Sure, but Williams has since signed; and young Albie Morgan was given a chance, played very well and deserved to keep his place.

But we were desperate for bodies for the Coventry and Barnsley matches - he may well have got playing time from the bench, but was himself missing with injury.

• Options
    Totally agree with this.
  • Options
    I don't see how we will miss a player that's hardly played in the past year. And I just don't think he's in Bowyer's plans.
  • Options
    Scoham said:

Scoham said:

Scoham said:

3 injury prone players.

Bielik
    Cullen Aribo
    Fosu

Fair enough, but if you could add one or two players would you want more midfielders? I’d rather add two strikers, or a striker and attacking right back.
    I’m not talking about adding more midfielders, I’m talking about keeping the ones we already have.

We have half a season to go, a potentially pivotal half a season for the future of the club, and perhaps for Roland’s ability to sell the club and get a better asking price.

If this was the start of the season it’s be a different conversation but what’s Clarke on? Even if it’s £4k a week, which it may well be less than, we’re talking 4 months of a contract to see out, £16k a month, meaning a £64k investment in the budget now to keep him and bring in a striker as well. We’ll be losing him for free now or in the summer so there’s no lost transfer fee to factor, just a little more in wages.

That very modest investment could make doubly sure we have enough midfielders to cover injuries/loss of form and see out the season, keep us firmly on the promotion hunt, and provide some bodies for the potential extension to the season the play-offs might create.

I know that's not how Roland operates, but it should be.
  • Options
    I agree before his injury Billy Clarke looked really good. An ACL is a shitty injury because you can’t do anything about it and then it’s a year of hard work to get back to where you were before if you ever quite get there.

If he were playing I’m sure he would but difficult off the bench.
  • Options
    edited January 2019
    How many teams are going to take a risk on a fella back from an acl injury, at the business end of the season? He's not played for us as we cant afford to ease him back in and we have other options. Id be surprised if another team takes a punt and sticks him straight in the starting line up. Id like to keep him and see if theres still a bit of magic he can produce off the bench later in the season.

He also seems like a good lad to have around the place
  • Options
    YTS1978 said:

How many teams are going to take a risk on a fella back from an acl injury, at the business end of the season? He's not played for us as we cant afford to ease him back in and we have other options. Id be surprised if another team takes a punt and sticks him straight in the starting line up. Id like to keep him and see if theres still a bit of magic he can produce off the bench later in the season.

He also seems like a good lad to have around the place

Dunno... Bet there are a few at the bottom of the League who might be eager

Liam Trotter is still at AFC Wimbledon so am sure he'll be recommending Billy Clarke to them if they could get him