Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Labour's Tom Watson 'reversed' type-2 diabetes through diet and exercise

124»

Comments

• Options
    Stevelamb said:
    As I am sure many of you know :-) I have reversed my type 2 diabetes. It took just six months and I am now off of all medication much to my doctors dismay it would seem.
    I’m genuinely glad you’ve achieved this reversal but why as pretty much always do you spoil your posts on this general subject. Your last comment about your doctor. I doubt he gives your condition much thought on a personal level much less finds it irritating that you are healthier. You need to stop evangelising and get that chip off your shoulder. Well done though. What you’ve done is impressive.
  • Options
    I looked into ketogenic diets but much prefer the freedom of intermittent fasting, However I have still cut out all refined sugar and wheat!
  • Options
    Recently got the all clear.....simply went on a diet and lost a stone or so.
  • Options
    edited August 2019
    I've been doing the Ketogenic way of eating for the last 2 months, so far I have lost a stone.

I had been a member of Slimming World for many years prior to this and had successful periods losing nearly 4 stones and unsuccessful periods when I put a lot back on. Slimming World allows you to eat almost unlimited forms of some carbohydrates including pasta, rice, potatoes etc.  It also allows you to eat as much of many fruits as you like.  

The Keto diet is based on very low carbohydrates, medium protein and high fat (certain types).  It wasn't until I started to track my carbohydrates that I realised just how much sugar I was consuming on supposedly 'free' food.  My carbohydrate limit is 20g per day and I was horrified to find that just one apple is 19g.  

Since starting Keto I have lost my carbohydrate craving - I haven't touched bread, cakes, crisps, potatoes all things I used to crave massively. I used to have a very sweet tooth needing 6 or 7 sweeteners in coffee and 5 in tea, I now drink almost black tea with half a teaspoon of sweetener and coffee with cream and half a teaspoon of sweetener. Strict keto suggest no sweeteners or only certain types.

I feel much better for eating this way and my portion control is much better. I don't feel hungry all the time as I did with SW.
  • Options
    I've been doing the Ketogenic way of eating for the last 2 months, so far I have lost a stone.

I had been a member of Slimming World for many years prior to this and had successful periods losing nearly 4 stones and unsuccessful periods when I put a lot back on. Slimming World allows you to eat almost unlimited forms of some carbohydrates including pasta, rice, potatoes etc.  It also allows you to eat as much of many fruits as you like.  

The Keto diet is based on very low carbohydrates, medium protein and high fat (certain types).  It wasn't until I started to track my carbohydrates that I realised just how much sugar I was consuming on supposedly 'free' food.  My carbohydrate limit is 20g per day and I was horrified to find that just one apple is 19g.  

Since starting Keto I have lost my carbohydrate craving - I haven't touched bread, cakes, crisps, potatoes all things I used to crave massively. I used to have a very sweet tooth needing 6 or 7 sweeteners in coffee and 5 in tea, I now drink almost black tea with half a teaspoon of sweetener and coffee with cream and half a teaspoon of sweetener. Strict keto suggest no sweeteners or only certain types.

I feel much better for eating this way and my portion control is much better. I don't feel hungry all the time as I did with SW.
    Can you drink alcohol on the Keto diet?
  • Options
    edited August 2019
    se9addick said:

I don't drink much anyway, but I believe you can have certain types of alcohol. I think beer is not keto due to the amount of carbs, but you can drink wine and spirits in moderation. I am a member of a couple of Keto Facebook groups and I've read that people often suffer hangovers with a lot less alcohol than they used to drink.  
  • Options
    se9addick said:

Someone dealing with T2 Diabetes should probs ditch the booze, my health improved 10 fold after stopping and I only really drank once or twice a week
  • Options
    there's plenty of alcohol you can have while on keto. the biggest problem is that when drunk you're more likely to eat the wrong thing
  • Options
    I think @razil can share a bit about combatting diabetes successfully, if I recall rightly. 

According to my research and experience so far you can reverse diabetes if it’s caused by being overweight

so far I haven’t been able to reverse mine despite reducing my body fat and getting fitter, I wasn’t drastically overweight but I haven’t given up yet and will report back if and when I manage to shift the rest of the weight I plan to lose - so far 8lb of about 22lb

i suspect the best thing I can achieve is reducing the impact by regular exercise, even walking for ten minutes after eating each meal helps, and watching what I eat. Not all type 2 is caused by being overweight altho I do tend to carry mine all around the midriff which is why I haven’t yet given up.

good luck to anyone who gives it a go, and feel free to ask me anything you want either in here or pm

• Options
    Sorry to hear that @razil, cos I know how much impressive effort you have put into getting yourself in shape, not least from my Fitbit league table :-) Anyway what you have done is for sure going to help you combat the range of other health threats that can get us!