Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The world’s weather

Watching the news and the current storms in the US and the Philippines it never ceases to amaze me how fortunate we seem to be in the UK with our weather...albeit we never seem to stop moaning about it. Apart from this summer it never gets too hot but even those temperatures were ones we have no issue with when we go on holiday and it’s not that cold, well not in London anyway. It rains, generally not as much as people think and usually just about as much as we actually need it to, Ireland very kindly taking the excess of that. We get earthquakes but not that anybody mentions and as for strong winds, well the fact that 1987 is the first and quite often only one everybody mentions sums those up. If you had to pick a place that’s more people friendly from the perspective of weather then the UK must be near the top.

Where else ?

Comments

• Options
    It's not the weather you want to worry about, it's the climate.
  • Options

Watching the news and the current storms in the US and the Philippines it never ceases to amaze me how fortunate we seem to be in the UK with our weather...albeit we never seem to stop moaning about it. Apart from this summer it never gets too hot but even those temperatures were ones we have no issue with when we go on holiday and it’s not that cold, well not in London anyway. It rains, generally not as much as people think and usually just about as much as we actually need it to, Ireland very kindly taking the excess of that. We get earthquakes but not that anybody mentions and as for strong winds, well the fact that 1987 is the first and quite often only one everybody mentions sums those up. If you had to pick a place that’s more people friendly from the perspective of weather then the UK must be near the top.

Where else ?

When I was at school the geography teacher told us that our climate was was the biggest factor in our success in the world. A lovely climate that never has the wild swings of our neighbours that enables its workers to work day and night everyday of the year.
    I love our climate and I am only prepared to swap it for two weeks a year in India, (outside the monsoon season).
  • Options

Where else ?

New Zealand ?? Never been there but parents have & said its a bit like the UK weather wise. Also less people & great views.
  • Options

Basque region
  • Options

Where else ?

I'm pretty sure that summers will get even hotter as the years go by
  • Options
    Yes, our current local climate is an advantage, but if global climate change predictions are correct, the resulting rise in sea level is going to have a large effect on the world in general and these islands in particular.

The east coast of England is particularly vulnerable, but by their very nature all our ports are at future risk.

Discussions about whether Charlton will play at The Valley or on the Peninsula will become academic if both are subject to frequent flooding either due to over-topping of the Thames Barrier, or the ponding of river water on the upstream side during prolonged closure of the barriers.
  • Options

Where else ?

I'm pretty sure that summers will get even hotter as the years go by
    Now you’ve done it, cue a cold, wet summer next year
  • Options
    We are probably already screwed as far as trying to reduce the effects of climate change. Just like civilisations before us we will be the masters of our own downfall.
  • Options
    We did have a tsunami in the early 1600's that decimated south wales and parts of the west country.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    SAN DIEGO
  • Options
    edited September 2018
    Gulf stream moderates our weather.

London is roughly same latitude as Kiev, Glasgow same as Moscow but we have none of their extreme heat or cold
  • Options

We did have a tsunami in the early 1600's that decimated south wales and parts of the west country.

I was going to post something along the lines of tsunamis not being anything to do with weather. But, having read your post again, I decided against it, out of respect for someone who is obviously several hundred years older than me.
  • Options

Gulf stream moderates our weather.

London is roughly same latitude as Kiev, Glasgow same as Moscow but we have none of their extreme heat or cold

For a while at least. Different water levels and temperatures could cause changes in ocean currents.
  • Options
    France. Generally, France is wasted on the French.
  • Options

The Lisbon earthquake of 1755 triggered a tsunami that hit Cornwall 4 hours later, rippled all along the south coast of England and even into the Thames estuary.

Although there is no record of the overall death toll, the 19th-century French writer Arnold Boscowitz claimed that "great loss of life and property occurred upon the coasts of Cornwall".

• Options
    For decent weather all year round the canary islands take some beating.
  • Options
    We're bang in the middle of monsoon season over here, it's a nightmare, the rain can be so bad you just can't go outside.

The other 9 months of The year are amazing though.
  • Options
    It has been snowing here in the Canadian Rockies and below freezing for the last few days - we’ve gone from summer straight to winter 😒
  • Options

Where else ?

When I was at school the geography teacher told us that our climate was was the biggest factor in our success in the world. A lovely climate that never has the wild swings of our neighbours that enables its workers to work day and night everyday of the year.
    I love our climate and I am only prepared to swap it for two weeks a year in India, (outside the monsoon season).
    The vast majority of world poverty lies between 23.5 degrees north and 23.5 degrees south of the equator - i.e the tropics.

So I reckon your geography teacher had a point!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Where else ?

New Zealand ?? Never been there but parents have & said its a bit like the UK weather wise. Also less people & great views.
    ..... But more, much more, earthquakes.