Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Some plain speaking info regarding EFL iFollow.

edited September 2018 in General Charlton
Right..... as is well known, my lack of knowledge re anything to do with computers is legendary.....but here goes.
So, for those of you in the same boat, here is some plain speaking info re iFollow.
First thing you need to know is we (along with about 6 or 7 other Div 1 sides), are not party/subscribers to iFollow.
This means that we have to register with and pay the £10 fee online to any club we are playing that are in the scheme.....whether the particular game we want to watch is at The Valley or away!
Also, any games with Saturday 3pm kick offs are NOT included in the scheme.....the reason the Wycombe game was available was because it was on an international weekend, which are exempt from the normal Saturday 3.00pm embargo.
All midweek games (or kick offs ‘other than’ Saturday between 2.45 pm to 5.15pm) are available to those clubs registered in the scheme.
Hope that clears things up for any of you who were wondering how it works.
Incidentally.....Scunthorpe are in the scheme.

Comments

• Right..... as is well known, my lack of knowledge re anything to do with computers is legendary.....but here goes.
    So, for those of you in the same boat, here is some plain speaking info re iFollow.
    First thing you need to know is we (along with about 6 or 7 other Div 1 sides), are not party/subscribers to iFollow.
    This means that we have to register with and pay the £10 fee online to any club we are playing that are in the scheme.....whether the particular game we want to watch is at The Valley or away!
    Also, any games with Saturday 3pm kick offs are NOT included in the scheme.....the reason the Wycombe game was available was because it was on an international weekend, which are exempt from the normal Saturday 3.00pm embargo.
    All midweek games (or kick offs ‘other than’ Saturday between 2.45 pm to 5.15pm) are available to those clubs registered in the scheme.
    Hope that clears things up for any of you who were wondering how it works.
    Incidentally.....Scunthorpe are in the scheme.

There's actually more to it than that - although all you've said is, I believe, correct. If you are outside of the UK you can actually watch the 3:00PM kick-offs on iFollow - but it is not allowed in the UK. There is, however, a workaround if you want. You can sign-up to a VPN (virtual private network) and make yourself 'look like' you are not in the OK. If you get it right then you can watch the 3:00PM kick-offs. I'm sure there is a thread covering this in more detail...
  • edited September 2018
    So let’s say you are on holiday and want to watch a 3.00pm kick off, you simply register with whichever club we’re playing but state you are abroad.
    Any idea at what point in the registration you are asked to give that info?
  • @SoundAsa£ I think the answer is in here.... but you might have to do some digging...
  • cafc-west said:

@SoundAsa£ I think the answer is in here.... but you might have to do some digging...

Thanks......The reason I ask is because I will be out of the country for Coventry and Walsall.....both Saturday 3.00 pm kick offs and both of them are in the scheme.
  • Its also £5 if you put your VPN on not £10...
  • Ifollow detects it from your IP address rather than you telling them.
  • Only 3 clubs without it in our league I think - us, Sunderland and Accrington.

Does that mean that if I’m just on holiday I can’t view?
    I don’t understand IP addresses....are they registered only in The UK or do they somehow change when in another country?
  • Do you have to have a monthly subscription as well as paying £10 per match?
  • Do you have to have a monthly subscription as well as paying £10 per match?

No.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited September 2018
    Scoham said:

Only 3 clubs without it in our league I think - us, Sunderland and Accrington.

No.....there are about 12 or 13 altogether.
  • edited September 2018

Ifollow detects it from your IP address rather than you telling them.

I don’t understand IP addresses....are they registered only in The UK or do they somehow change when in another country?
    Think of your IP address as a postal address for your computer and that the websites you visit are the letters that are delivered to your computer.

Every website you visit reads your IP address and from that unique address can determine where (roughly) in the world you are connecting from. For things like iFollow that means they know how to block UK access while allowing access from the rest of the world.

A VPN is a clever piece of software that you can install on your computer to trick websites into reading a ‘fake’ address. That way you can bypass website restrictions and so for example watch iFollow in the UK at 3pm on a Saturday.

Think of your IP address as a postal address for your computer and that the websites you visit are the letters that are delivered to your computer.

Every website you visit reads your IP address and from that unique address can determine where (roughly) in the world you are connecting from. For things like iFollow that means they know how to block UK access while allowing access from the rest of the world.

A VPN is a clever piece of software that you can install on your computer to trick websites into reading a ‘fake’ address. That way you can bypass website restrictions and so for example watch iFollow in the UK at 3pm on a Saturday.

Ok.....but if I am using that IP address outside of The UK will that mean I can still register and view.....or will that not be possible.
    As for VPN.......I wouldn’t have a clue how to install or operate it......I use an Apple iPad by the way and have my doubts that they are compatible.....iPads are funny creatures at the best of times!
  • I use a VPN (forgive me for not knowing what that or other acronyms in this issue actually stands for) and use it to pretend I am in Germany.
    Then i go to the website of the individual club.
    Fiddle about there, by going to match centre, and watch live now, and opt to do so.
    Something then asks for my credit card details and the one off match is usually six euros.
    I fill in the fields with fingers crossed it will work properly in the geek created universe i have plunged into.
    It tells me i am successful and offers an option to return to the club website, and i go to the watch live option and watch the action.
    caution
    Do not rely on what i have written as a how to guide, it is merely what i think happens in the bewildering process. However i do get it that you have to pretend to be abroad.
    I have seen a lot of away matches this way.
    BUT
    I believe ifollow ought to be shut down because ultimately it will hit attendances at live games. If i didn't know i could get the match on ifollow i may have been tempted to schlepp to Bradford.
    I used to love listening to commentary from games, especially from the opposition club, and updating on the match thread what I have heard.
    This has now become unavailable due to enforced changes made by Charlton to their previous service, and I have lost faith in the Valley Pass commentary because I don't feel they actually describe the action taking place accurately and as it happens.
    (at least on ifollow you can see for yourself).
    For me an ideal solution would be for ifollow to close down (to counter the threat of reduced attendances), and for there to be a cheap subscribable service that gives access to all clubs live audio commentaries.
  • Sound as you can watch from abroad no problem
  • I use this vpn $100 a year to pretend I’m abroad it’s an app for iPad and iPhone

So pay $7.00 when I’m “ abroad”

ExpressVPN - #1 Trusted VPN by ExpressVPN
  • cafc-west said:

@SoundAsa£ I think the answer is in here.... but you might have to do some digging...

Thanks......The reason I ask is because I will be out of the country for Coventry and Walsall.....both Saturday 3.00 pm kick offs and both of them are in the scheme.
    Walsall may not go ahead on that date due to international call-ups.
  • cafc-west said:

Walsall may not go ahead on that date due to international call-ups.
    Thanks for the heads-up Rick.
  • edited September 2018

Sound as you can watch from abroad no problem

Sound as you can watch from abroad no problem

Using my IP address I assume, despite it being a UK IP address.....I take it that iFollow will know I am abroad, is that right.....that’s what I am trying to determine......I don’t understand this stuff?
  • Sponsored links:

• Addickted said:

Have you tried turning it off and on again?

Nobody likes a smart arse!
  • edited September 2018

Ifollow detects it from your IP address rather than you telling them.

Ok.....but if I am using that IP address outside of The UK will that mean I can still register and view.....or will that not be possible.
    As for VPN.......I wouldn’t have a clue how to install or operate it......I use an Apple iPad by the way and have my doubts that they are compatible.....iPads are funny creatures at the best of times!
    I should clarify that IP addresses are specific to your internet connection and not to your device, an iPad. IP addresses are not one-to-one with a device.

So for example your IP address on your iPad at home in the UK would be totally different to your IP address on the same iPad in Spain.

If you’re in the UK, you need to use a VPN to watch 3pm kick offs on a Saturday afternoon. In all other circumstances, VPNs are not necessary. I for example am in America so there is no need for the trickery of the software to allow me access.
  • Just spoke to Addickted and had it explained that an IP address doesn’t travel with you.....it changes from place to place.....I didn’t realise that!
    LOL.
  • Thanks for helping me out guys.
  • Scoham said:

In total yeah, but there’s definitely only those 3 in our league that don’t have it.

Full list is on here:

https://www.efl.com/iFollow/subscribe/

Pick the league and the second drop down shows all the clubs on iFollow.

Championship have about 15 clubs and League 2 have 23.
  • Scoham said:

Scoham said:

In total yeah, but there’s definitely only those 3 in our league that don’t have it.

Full list is on here:

https://www.efl.com/iFollow/subscribe/

Pick the league and the second drop down shows all the clubs on iFollow.

Championship have about 15 clubs and League 2 have 23.
    Ah.....right oh mate.
  • From the EFL iFollow website:

'Please note that the iFollow service is only available to clubs playing in the EFL during the 2018/19 season who have opted in to utilise the iFollow platform. Those clubs who have not will have access to the same live streaming opportunity and will be able to provide their fans with access through their own club digital services.

We are therefore unable to provide subscriptions to fans of Accrington Stanley, Aston Villa, Birmingham City, Bristol City, Charlton Athletic, Derby County, Hull City, Forest Green Rovers, Middlesbrough, QPR, Stoke City, Swansea City and Sunderland. Please contact your club for more information'.

I've been in Saudi a year now and have pretty much been able to watch nearly every game on iFollow.
  • Can you not watch I follow through a Kodi