Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Burnley advertising for unpaid matchday stewards

Seriously this is an own goal of Katrien proportions. What kind of Premier League club can’t afford to pay people any sort of wage, let alone a decent one? Taking the piss out of loyal supporters.

Comments

• I despair at the fact that people need helpers to find their bloody seats!! - It aint difficult to read a ticket
  • I despair at the fact that people need helpers to find their bloody seats!! - It aint difficult to read a ticket

Yeah, and everyone should know the seating plan off by heart.
  • De Turck thought this was a good idea too, seriously.

It is a fantastic idea. One just hopes that some group like CARD does not find a way to utilise it.

I expect he wanted a volunteer left wing back, holding midfielder, vegan chef, pot hole filler, black and white scarf screener and a false number 9
  • “ can we have a look around the boardroom?”

“Sure lads, and help yourselves to the food and drink, oh, and it’s sit where you like.”
  • Sponsored links:

• “You mate, watch the crowd not the game”

“ oh, I have decided I don’t want to volunteer after 3pm”

“ but we could have to shut the ground”

“Who’s we?”
  • Would Robert Lee have ever worked on the turnstiles as a volunteer?

Typical Belgians, not thinking of the long game.
  • Redrobo said:

I despair at the fact that people need helpers to find their bloody seats!! - It aint difficult to read a ticket

Well they should know the fkin alphabet and how to count... you know A at the front... z at the back. Then left or right for the increase or decrease in numbers. Is that really hard ?
  • It looks like Burnley are in trouble, what with performances on the field so far this season and this. I sincerely hope they're not relegated in the place of other more deserving sides from Surrey
  • shine166 said:

Redrobo said:

I despair at the fact that people need helpers to find their bloody seats!! - It aint difficult to read a ticket

Well they should know the fkin alphabet and how to count... you know A at the front... z at the back. Then left or right for the increase or decrease in numbers. Is that really hard ?
    Z is not at the back.

Can you explain why I have to keep getting up and down while people walk all along our row, clutching a ticket, and with a bemused look on their face?

And that is with stewards!

Stupidity I suspect my friend, and unfortunately there is not yet a cure.

• edited September 2018
    It's not an unusual idea. Lot's of events have volunteers these days and will then have a security team to work alongside them. Note most of the jobs listed there are more about welcoming people, making their experience enjoyable etc etc rather than dealing with actual security issues or anything.

The Olympics were obviously the first to do this, but since then just off the top of my head Rugby World Cup, Athletics 2017, Saracens Rugby Club all do this and has been very successful.

It's more about enhancing the match day experience with lots of customer service rather than replacing actual stewards.
  • I think its a reasonable idea - but not for a PL club. They could afford to pay minimum wage easily. Suspect the hourly rate equates to less than a minute rate for most of their players! Also - the last line is the killer - by all means get keen supporters to volunteer (some people will certainly take up the offer) but to then say they may not be able to watch the game is a real kick in the teeth!
  • edited September 2018
    cafc-west said:

I think its a reasonable idea - but not for a PL club. They could afford to pay minimum wage easily. Suspect the hourly rate equates to less than a minute rate for most of their players! Also - the last line is the killer - by all means get keen supporters to volunteer (some people will certainly take up the offer) but to then say they may not be able to watch the game is a real kick in the teeth!

It's really not about that. The people that will volunteer for this are the same type of people who did for the events I've listed above. Often these people range in age from 20-60+. Some use it as a way of getting good event experience under their belt, some look at it as a genuinely enjoyable past-time once retired, others actually take holiday to go away and volunteer while paying their own expenses. It's something they love doing.

This isn't about getting away with paying people minimum wage. This is about making use of the army of volunteers that currently love working at sporting events, and trust me some of them will have no interest in watching football - they simply want to be happy and make peoples experience a good one.

I've worked on events with volunteers exactly like this, and it's not something I could ever do, but credit to them.

Now, having said all that - volunteering on Rugby World Cup is slightly different to volunteering at Burnley so be interesting to see the take up.
  • I see from the job description that even the person they are to report to is a "volunteer co-ordinator". Doe that mean they are getting paid for co-ordinating the volunteers or that they, too, are providing their services FOC I wonder?

BTW, Mrs cafcfan has a friend who started off doing this lark as one of those London 2012 volunteers. She got allocated to Tennis and has since been in a volunteer role at Wimbledon every year. She's some form of overseer now, but still doesn't get paid. Although she does get expenses and gets to see some tennis.....

But you'd think one of the richest tournaments in the world with £40mn prize money and 300,000 glasses of Pimm's sold and t/over itro £250mn over two weeks might be able to afford some wages wouldn't you?
  • Sponsored links:

• edited September 2018
    "Match Day Hero" !!!!

Do me a favour.

Spell check - "heroes".
  • Lords also has an unpaid team of volunteers.
  • cafcfan said:

I see from the job description that even the person they are to report to is a "volunteer co-ordinator". Doe that mean they are getting paid for co-ordinating the volunteers or that they, too, are providing their services FOC I wonder?

BTW, Mrs cafcfan has a friend who started off doing this lark as one of those London 2012 volunteers. She got allocated to Tennis and has since been in a volunteer role at Wimbledon every year. She's some form of overseer now, but still doesn't get paid. Although she does get expenses and gets to see some tennis.....

But you'd think one of the richest tournaments in the world with £40mn prize money and 300,000 glasses of Pimm's sold and t/over itro £250mn over two weeks might be able to afford some wages wouldn't you?

A massive different between doing this at a one off event like the Olympics (where I imagine there would have been incredible team spirit and enjoyment welcoming spectators from around the world) or Wimbledon for 2 weeks in July, to hanging around Turf Moor for 9 months every other Saturday. Standing outside in the rain and snow, and welcoming West Ham and Wolves fans...
  • I bet prospective 'heroes' are smashing the doors down for this opportunity!!
  • cafcfan said:

I see from the job description that even the person they are to report to is a "volunteer co-ordinator". Doe that mean they are getting paid for co-ordinating the volunteers or that they, too, are providing their services FOC I wonder?

A massive different between doing this at a one off event like the Olympics (where I imagine there would have been incredible team spirit and enjoyment welcoming spectators from around the world) or Wimbledon for 2 weeks in July, to hanging around Turf Moor for 9 months every other Saturday. Standing outside in the rain and snow, and welcoming West Ham and Wolves fans...
    Absolutely, but it's still going to be the same type of people who get a buzz out of volunteering that will go for it. Saracens rugby club have an army of volunteers to use on a seasonal basis. Again, not quite like welcoming Wolves fans, but still someone else doing it on a seasonal basis rather than just a one-off event.
  • so you want people to get paid nothing to get dogs abuse from football fans

good luck with that

I love the way fans give stewards grief for not getting involved with punch ups when they are not likely to be insured, paid or get thanked for it.
  • edited September 2018

cafcfan said:

Same meat different gravy. It's still exploitation of the gullible.
  • edited September 2018
    cafcfan said:

cafcfan said:

Same meat different gravy. It's still exploitation of the gullible.
    It's really not! You are missing the point by thinking Burnley are trying to get away with not paying deserving people wages.

The people this is targeted at want to volunteer, get a buzz out of volunteering and are not in this for the money. There's whole databases of volunteers who Burnley will obviously be targeting for this.

Volunteering is certainly not for many people who work to be paid, certainly I am in that camp and couldn't think of anything worse than giving my time to wave people into a football stadium, but that's why many people are struggling to grasp this concept. There are thousands of people out there who enjoy volunteering and this is not exploiting them, it's giving them further opportunities if anything.

As far as I am aware this is the first time it has been done at football, and will certainly be interesting to see how it goes with football fans rather more likely to dish out abuse than those at Wimbledon etc.

Edit - also not really sure why I'm caring so much about something I don't care about! I've shared the knowledge I have on it, so will leave it there!